Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > New iPod Touch (4g) and wifi problems

New iPod Touch (4g) and wifi problems
spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2010, 09:55 PM

Hey all...

Apologies if this has been asked or answered (search function was giving me an error) when I tried it...

Just got a new iPod Touch (4th gen - 64GB) this past weekend, and I have noticed some frustrating problems with my wifi connection.

I have noticed that sometimes the wifi icon disappears for 5-10 seconds at a time, and then reappears. When this happens the connection appears to stop working. I was updating two apps on it last night which were somewhat large, and the icon (and connection) kept disappearing, causing the "Loading" phase of the updating for each app to restart and resume. This slowed things down a lot (it took at least 5-10 minutes to finish the process). When it was disappearing, it would go from "3 bars" of wifi signal to no icon at all.

In addition to this, I am finding that sometimes the wifi connection doesn't appear to be working even when the icon IS showing up in the status bar. It will say something like "Check you network settings" or "Connection not available".

Does anyone know if this is a hardware issue or a problem with the iOS 4 software running on this thing? I have been using an old iPhone 2g (first version) as an iPod for about a year and have not had any issues like this on that one on the same router.

I have a Netgear N router (not sure of model off the top of my head) and I am using WPA encryption.

Thanks!
"Mac Daddy" - 15" MBP, 2.2 GHz Core i7, 8GB, 750GB HDD
"Mommy Mac" - 13" Macbook, 2.4GHz C2D, 2GB, 160GB
"Baby Mac" - 15" PB, 1.5GHz, 1.5GB, 80GB
64GB iPod Touch (4th gen)

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
Sep 21, 2010, 11:42 PM

I think it's just flaky hardware. My 3rd gen Touch has (still running 3.1.2) has done this from about day one. I know of others with the same problem and still others who have never mentioned it. I just live with it as it only drops for about three seconds at a time. It's most noticeable on those rare occasions when I browse the App Store.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2010, 07:00 AM

spiff, the types of problems you're describing are normal network difficulties, but if the problems occur with significant frequency and your other network devices aren't impacted then I'd try to return the iPod for another one.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

l3luey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2011, 04:59 PM

Spiff, Ive had that problem with multiple devices... (both of my 360s, this ipod, DSI, etc...)
Its a router thing.... You need to go to your router set up page... (I think you can only access it from the computer you set it up on) Then you need to find a page (cant remember the name) were you it says like allowed something... You will then need to add a mac address to that list of devices for it to work... I hope i helped (probably didn't but i hope )

babrams819
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2012, 05:19 PM

What l3luey said in previous post actually worked for me. I got on the computer that the internet is wired through and the wireless router is connected to. You need the ip address for the wireless router, which is easily found in a google search. Our router is actiontec and the default ip address is 192.168.0.1 No http or anything. That takes you into the router settings. Then you go into wireless settings and on the left on my screen there was a section called MAC authorization or something like that. I went into there and sure enough, it was set to disable. I set it to enable and saved my settings and within a minute, my ipod was back up and running on the wireless. I hope this was the extent of my annoying wireless problem!

DavidDonald
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2012, 08:28 AM

I don't have problems with my iPod...It's great!

Forum Links
Forum Rules