Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Google disables third-party iOS keyboard support in Chrome browser

Google disables third-party iOS keyboard support in Chrome browser
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Nov 17, 2015, 08:08 AM

Google has released an update for Chrome on iOS, disabling third-party software keyboards from working with the mobile browser. The update, specific for the iOS version only and released through the App Store yesterday, removes support for third-party keyboards due to "crashes caused by a bug in iOS 9" related to the keyboards, though it is unclear when exactly support will be reintroduced to the browser in the future.

Spotted by 9to5Mac, the update doesn't specify what bug in iOS 9 causes the crashes, and Google has yet to pass further comment. Considering Google blames an issue with iOS itself, the return of the feature will likely depend on how fast Apple takes to solve the bug itself, unless Google creates its own work around.

Users of Chrome will still be able to type in text fields within the browser, but using the default iOS keyboard instead of what they have elected to use in the operating system. The Chrome update will not affect the use of third-party keyboards elsewhere in iOS.

In the same update to version 46.0.2490.85, Google "resolved an issue with Omnibox queries failing to display properly."

prl99
Senior User
Nov 17, 2015, 11:05 AM

My daughter uses a third-party keyboard on her iPad, is running the latest version of iOS, and isn't having any problems. Of course she's not using Chrome so I see this as another attempt by Google to blame Apple for its own problems. I still don't understand why people use anything from Google when Apple has more than adequate solutions and doesn't track you. I've always questioned why people use a gmail account when they have a free iCloud email account. It doesn't make sense to me.

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
Nov 17, 2015, 11:33 AM

Interesting, considering the keyboard in iOS 8 and 9 has been an abomination, this doesn't surprise me too much. I wonder if/when Apple fixes it, the keyboard will start working a bit better again on older iDevices?
------
Steve Wilkinson
Web designer | Christian apologist
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

quebit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2015, 01:55 AM

I don't have a problem with third-party keyboards and Safari, and no I don't use Chrome, nor do I see the reason anyone would. Why not just use Safari. I don't like Chrome on the desktop (it's the revival of IE again), and I sure as hell don't want it on mobile.

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
Nov 18, 2015, 10:56 AM

On older devices, the keyboard doesn't really work anywhere (at least in an acceptable manner).
------
Steve Wilkinson
Web designer | Christian apologist
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

Forum Links
Forum Rules