Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > TV Serieseseseses

TV Serieseseseses (Page 7)
subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2019, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
"Hey Siri, make me seasons 2 through 99 of Firely"
“Searching the web for too threw”

andi*pandi
Sep 16, 2020, 10:08 PM

Hey, I ran out of other amazon things to watch so finally gave the Expanse another shot. This time I did not fall asleep during the quiet space scenes and made it to the interesting characters, unique mystery, etc. Still on season 1 though.

OreoCookie
Sep 16, 2020, 11:16 PM

@Andy
I can't wait for the next season, the characters are great. Wait until you meet Bobby “Gunny” Draper.

Another recommendation, from Apple+ no less: Ted Lasso. Sooooo good. I'm not interested in watching sports, and the premise sounds like a setup for slapstick comedy. Trust me, it's not.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2020, 07:11 AM

I'm enjoying Ted as well.

The Boys on Amazon is great but its dark and violent. Theres some colourful language too.

I'm watching The Outpost. Its a little cheesy but its fun.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Doc HM
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2020, 10:14 AM

The Boys season 2 is as good as Season 1. Who knew The Deep could top his dolphin escapade so immensely! Classic.

Butcher continues to er butcher the English language but I can roll with it now. How much do I already hate Stormfront, and could Homelander get any more creepy?

Immediately hooked on Cobra Kai on the 'flix. Who knew we needed an update to Karate Kid. Really really well written characters especially Johnny Lawrence. A properly sympathetic looser.

Also, catch Rust Valley Restorations. Usually not big on US reality car shows but a) Canadian and b) Mike Hall and c) AVERY SHOAF!!
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 20, 2020, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Another recommendation, from Apple+ no less: Ted Lasso. Sooooo good. I'm not interested in watching sports, and the premise sounds like a setup for slapstick comedy. Trust me, it's not.
Finally added the wife's account to our AppleTV to take advantage of the free year of ATV+ we got when we bought her iPhone. Ted Lasso is the content we need right now, it's so wholesome. Though I am interested to hear what actual Brits think of it. The premise of a bumbling, plucky, eternally optimistic American softening the hearts of a bunch of cynical, crude, stereotypical Brits seems...offensive? We're only a few episodes in, no spoilers.

andi*pandi
Nov 20, 2020, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
@Andy
I can't wait for the next season, the characters are great. Wait until you meet Bobby “Gunny” Draper.

I liked Gunny a lot! although season 4 seemed a bit cold. It will be interesting to see where they take the next season with some of the plotlines wrapped up. Ooh, well it looks good!

Right now I'm paying for netflix, amazon, hulu, and disney+. Do I need appletv too?!?!? Ted Lasso sounds good.

I gave Killing Eve a try and it is excellent... but the latest season is just a little too down.
I tried Last Man on Earth but it was a) a little on the nose, and b) cringey type humor.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 20, 2020, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Right now I'm paying for netflix, amazon, hulu, and disney+. Do I need appletv too?!?!? Ted Lasso sounds good.
"A $100 cable bill is atrocious! I demand à la carte services!"

"I have Netflix, Hulu, D+, ATV+, ESPN+, Amazon Prime, YouTube TV, and Peacock and it only costs me $120/month!"

andi*pandi
Nov 20, 2020, 12:43 PM

Silly me is still paying for verizon cable too!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2020, 01:18 PM

Well in reality we bundled Hulu/D+/ESPN+ since it was cheaper than just getting Disney+ and we already had Hulu. We keep threatening to cancel Amazon Prime since they keep pulling music from the general library and putting it behind the "Unlimited" velvet rope. But every year I chicken out and keep subscribing for that sweet, sweet 2 day shipping. Add Netflix to that and we're paying $40/month total for TV services, plus $85/month for the internet to watch them with.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2020, 03:16 PM

Exactly. The entire services a la carte is a consumer disaster. If only there was a single-box solution where I could pay one provider to deliver my content.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2020, 06:30 PM

I really enjoyed Ted Lasso.
I don't know why anyone thought paying ten providers would be better than paying one.
I also don't know why Disney were so savage with their Netflix Marvel shows. Its not like they can go that dark on D+. They were good shows.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

OreoCookie
Nov 20, 2020, 11:52 PM

I liked Gunny a lot! although season 4 seemed a bit cold.
Yes, and it felt a bit like an entirely different TV series. But still a very enjoyable one.
It will be interesting to see where they take the next season with some of the plotlines wrapped up. Ooh, well it looks good!
Can’t wait.
Do I need appletv too?!?!? Ted Lasso sounds good.
Ted Lasso is a-freaking-mazing. You could subscribe for a month, binge watch it (which you will, trust me) and then unsubscribe. We got Apple TV+ for free for a year since my wife bought an iPhone 11 last January.

OreoCookie
Nov 21, 2020, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Though I am interested to hear what actual Brits think of it. The premise of a bumbling, plucky, eternally optimistic American softening the hearts of a bunch of cynical, crude, stereotypical Brits seems...offensive? We're only a few episodes in, no spoilers.
I wonder about this, too.
What speaks against it (from a neutral third-country perspective) is that all characters are given some depth, even the ones you may dislike in the beginning. The charity dinner episode is great, you really feel for the new team owner, I could feel my heart breaking a little for her. (I’m being vague to avoid any spoilers.) You understand why Jamie Tart is the way he is, and the tiny plot twist in the last episode in that respect was great.

The humorous (or should I write humourous?) take on the British characters is balanced out by the the ridiculousness of the premise of an American football coach/manager taking over a Premier League team. And Ted Lasso admits this directly in the first episode.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2020, 07:59 AM

Was Ted Lasso originally an SNL skit or something? The TV show seems to be loosely based on a TV ad where he was made manager of Tottenham Hotspur.

Doc HM
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2020, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Exactly. The entire services a la carte is a consumer disaster. If only there was a single-box solution where I could pay one provider to deliver my content.
Micro payments per view would be a way through the maze I guess. An amount that generates realistic revenue but is also small enough that it goes underneath peoples "how much?" radar.

Won't happen of course as the mind set is Lock 'em in and take the monthly payment.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

P
Nov 23, 2020, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Was Ted Lasso originally an SNL skit or something? The TV show seems to be loosely based on a TV ad where he was made manager of Tottenham Hotspur.
The character is from an old NBC ad, yes.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules