Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild: Complaining

Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild: Complaining (Page 2)
P
Mar 4, 2021, 07:11 PM

There are helpful things under bushes, but the 90 rupee shield sticks out as the best one. There is money to be had (it’s a secret to everybody, as the text says), there is probably a conveniently located medicine shop somewhere, but I’m pretty sure there are no heart containers. Gambling maybe? Nothing essential.

For puzzles in TP, you can generally talk to Midna for a hint. She gets less useful as the game goes on, but the early ones she helps out with. As for the specific puzzle... you mean the heavy boots and wrestling? Yes, it was tricky, but you didn’t have to do that many. I understand giving up at that point, though, because the beginning is not the best part of that game. The mid game is what sold me on it, when I had learned a couple of advanced combat techniques (Helm Splitter is awesome) and the puzzles were actually clever.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2021, 07:33 PM

Yes! It was the boots.

What screwed me up is I thought the solution was timing the push against the boulder. Without boots, depending upon when you pushed back, the boulder would bounce back farther, which made me think that was the solution, I just wasn’t timing it right.

Went around the horn with that for about an hour.

I ended up going to the Internet, which is always disheartening 5% of the way into a game, and then to see a half-dozen more was just too much. I was done with the Sisyphus simulator.

P
Mar 5, 2021, 05:27 AM

I remember that thing, it was a bit frustrating to figure it out. Basically what you have to do is press the A before the Goron comes, and then just hold left or right on the analog stick to shove the Goron out of the way.

There is an actual Sisyphus simulator later on - as in, rolling a boulder up a hill, getting hit and trying to catch it before it goes down again. Obviously there is a way to do it, but that one really had me shaking my head. I didn't actually solve it the way I was supposed to - I just timed it right and got the boulder up high enough that I could catch it after the hit. (The correct solution is that you can kill the creature that is damaging you if you are observant and then just run the boulder up the hill in one go, but I never noticed that until I read a guide after I was done.)
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

andi*pandi
Mar 5, 2021, 11:58 AM

I wandered around LttP for quite a bit annoyed that I couldn't do anything (soldiers: "go home kid!") when random button mashing revealed I could rip up shrubs. Now all shrubs must die.

After botw, (dies, begins again at basically same scene), kid2 thought the "have to do the whole level again" type of dying was annoying.

P
Mar 7, 2021, 09:13 AM

ALttP launch was accompanied with lots of little guides to the early game is every relevant publication, to make people realize where they needed to go. If you compared with the two previous Zeldas, the early game is very much on rails, and it is a massive change.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2022, 06:38 PM

After beating Metroid Dread I downloaded BotW and I've been playing the hell out of it.

Lots of things I love, a few I can live with, and a couple annoyances I have gripes with.

The Good: The last Zelda I played was Twilight Princess, which was pretty entertaining IIRC, but it never really stuck with me. Ocarina and LttP are my cornerstones of the series and so far this game lives up to the hype. It's more Shadow of the Colossus than I expected and thats a good thing. I love the "climb everything" mentality, though I imagine it must be strange to see Link never enter a town from the main entrance as he instead floats gracefully down in front of the very store he means to visit. The gliding is satisfying, and with early investments into Stamina is a great asset for exploration. Shrines are fun, and doubling them as waypoints for fast travel means it's always nice to see one. Combat has taken a slight getting used to but is rather robust yet simple. Guardians stuck in the ground were terrifying enough until i ran into fully mobile Guardians, properly good bastards those guys, can't wait to get strong enough to take them on.

The Meh: Vendors menus and dialogue take too long, and I haven't even been playing that long, I need arrows not endless boxes. Inventory is a bit of a slog, and having no real option to store what could be rare items just compounds the suffering. Hitting Y to organize does...something? I'm not sure what the criteria is for its' order. Weapon degradation/breaking is a huge hill for everyone to die on for this game but it doesn't irk me enough to hate it. I realize that you're suppose to avoid conflict when possible and have a couple burner weapons on hand to deal with the normies. Would have been nice to know that Guardian weapons should be saved for guardian fights but I suppose thats an obvious one I missed.

The Ugly: Cooking is clunky AF, but I do like making elixirs. It always rains when I'm climbing, It's always a lightning storm when I'm fighting enemies with my good kit, the voice acting is just terrible.

Bonus: I play mainly on the Pro controller/TV but I've found myself paying BotW alot on the OLED more and more, especially just exploring/cooking/etc.. tasks, such a cool system I can't be happier with it.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2022, 07:17 PM

I definitely get the feeling they intended for the cooking system to be better, but that got axed because of time constraints.

Even in its unfinished state, it’s still an example of how brilliantly the components of the game are designed. You can grind an arbitrarily large number of rupees out of it, so there’s never any reason to hoard rupees.

Also, catching fireflies is surprisingly fun and relaxing.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2022, 10:21 PM

Oh… the voice acting!

That is indeed terrible, but the little grunts characters make are awesome.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2022, 12:20 AM

Yeah the little odd noises are a hallmark of the series, the cutscene dialogue is just awful

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2022, 06:59 PM

I think that was new to me. I’ve only put real time into the original two, and that was back when they came out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules