Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > HELP can't get my Network setup!!

HELP can't get my Network setup!!
JeremyS
Senior User
Sep 14, 2002, 03:10 PM

Hi I have been trying to get my network setup using 10.2 and am having a terrible time, I can't figure out what is wrong.

I have had things working and then they stop now and again, and now it gone completely.

I have 2 G4's connected to a hub which is connected to an ASDL modem. My ISP allows my 2 IP addresses so they each grap an IP for themselves.

Both have File Sharing enabled, I have turned off both firewalls just incase they are causing problems, but they still cannot see each other.

I can however share printers, that has worked since day one.

iChat using Rendezvous does not work.

When I go to GO/ Connect to Server, it looks for computers and nothing shows up, when I enter the IP address the window pops up saying Contacting... but it just continually says that until it times out.

In my network settings both computers are set to DHCP and automatically obtain an IP address.

Since they both pull IP addresses which can change, do I need to enter something in the Search or DNS fields to allow them to see each other?

If anyone could help I would greatly appriciate it.

JeremyS  (op)
Senior User
Sep 14, 2002, 03:33 PM

Just tried to ping the IP and got nothing.

noliv
Senior User
Sep 14, 2002, 06:14 PM

You can't even do a ping successfully???

Are they on the same subnet? (I can't imagine a dhcp server giving differents subnets but I try to understand...)
-noliv

Cipher13
Sep 15, 2002, 12:59 AM

Have you got two interfaces set up on each machine? One for the local network, and one for the Internet?

Can your modem handle routing? It'd be better if so.

Tell me about the physical setup of your network - what plugs in where, etc.

Buck_Naked
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2002, 12:19 PM

Your best best for trouble free use would be using a Router between your computers.
You really don't need two IP's and using the Router will seperate your local network from the Internet.
With your IP's changing you would probably need to reset your network settings each time your IP changes
so each computer would know exactly where the other one is, and even then you would probably be trying to share between the two computers back through your ISP.
Does your ISP block standard file sharing ports
Maybe some other Network GURU will also stop by and share their expertise....

Originally posted by JeremyS:
Hi I have been trying to get my network setup using 10.2 and am having a terrible time, I can't figure out what is wrong.

I have had things working and then they stop now and again, and now it gone completely.

I have 2 G4's connected to a hub which is connected to an ASDL modem. My ISP allows my 2 IP addresses so they each grap an IP for themselves.

Both have File Sharing enabled, I have turned off both firewalls just incase they are causing problems, but they still cannot see each other.

I can however share printers, that has worked since day one.

iChat using Rendezvous does not work.

When I go to GO/ Connect to Server, it looks for computers and nothing shows up, when I enter the IP address the window pops up saying Contacting... but it just continually says that until it times out.

In my network settings both computers are set to DHCP and automatically obtain an IP address.

Since they both pull IP addresses which can change, do I need to enter something in the Search or DNS fields to allow them to see each other?

If anyone could help I would greatly appriciate it.

JeremyS  (op)
Senior User
Sep 16, 2002, 03:17 AM

I have an ADSL modem connected to the UPLINK on my 5 port hub, both computers are connected to the hub, both are set to optain IP address automatically (DHCP).

Anyone know a good tutorial to make the linksys router work?

I bought it before but took it back because I couldn't get anything working with it, and everything work fine without it at the time.

I would like to have a MAC tutorial for setting up the router.

I still can't figure why I can't connect right now via the hub though, that is odd.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2002, 05:17 AM

Originally posted by JeremyS:
I have an ADSL modem connected to the UPLINK on my 5 port hub, both computers are connected to the hub, both are set to optain IP address automatically (DHCP).
I still can't figure why I can't connect right now via the hub though, that is odd.
Well, I have a very similar setup - the difference is just that I have a cable modem. One thing that came to my mind when I read about your problems is this: There are two different kinds of twisted Ethernet cables. There are straight and cross-over cables. As far as I remember, you need cross-over to connect two Macs but straight cables to connect to a hub or to connect the hub to the modem (uplink). Anybody please correct me if I'm mixing stuff up here. My memory is really bad: I always forget and mix up straight vs. cross-over.

If you have the wrong cable from the hub to the modem (uplink) your two Macs will see each other but not the Internet connection. If one (or both) of the cables between a Mac and the hub is wrong that Mac will see nobody and you also won't be able to ping that Mac from any other machine (in your local area or on the internet).

Maybe this could be an issue causing your problems.

JeremyS  (op)
Senior User
Sep 16, 2002, 01:50 PM

I think you are on to something.

I have a crossover cable from the modem to the uplink port of the hub.

This is what came with it and I thought it might be the cause so I changed it to a regular cable and couldn't get an internet connection anymore, I guess the modem needs a crossover cable to work? Is that right?

So is getting a router the only way to get around this?

I recently had a Cable modem and never had this problem but then again it never needed a crossover cable to work.

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2002, 03:18 PM

Crossover (ethernet) cables haven't been needed for a while. Someone jump in if this is wrong but... G4 ehternet hardware should auto-detect being plugged directly into another computer and swap the outer two conductors. Thus, it is more likely that the trouble stems from either a bad software configuration or from faulty hardware.

To diagnose you might want to:
Skip the hub and make sure both macs and all three ethernet cables are functional by using each in conjunction with your modem.

wadesworld
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2002, 03:24 PM

Post the output of the following command on each Mac:

ifconfig -a

This command will show us how the interfaces are configured on each Mac. With that info, we can make a guess at what's wrong.

Wade

JeremyS  (op)
Senior User
Sep 16, 2002, 05:19 PM

For the record, both computers get internet but cannot talk to each other at all. I appriciate your help!!

Computer 1:

lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
gif0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1280
stf0: flags=0<> mtu 1280
en1: flags=8822<BROADCAST,SMART,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
tunnel inet -->
ether 00:30:65:08:b6:69
media: autoselect (<unknown type>) status: inactive
supported media: autoselect
en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULT ICAST> mtu 1500
inet6 fe80::230:65ff:fe4a:663e%en0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x5
inet 205.206.100.76 netmask 0xfffff800 broadcast 205.206.103.255
ether 00:30:65:4a:66:3e
media: autoselect (10baseT/UTP <half-duplex>) status: active
supported media: none autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex,hw-loopback> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX <half-duplex,hw-loopback> 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex,hw-loopback>

Computer 2:

lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
gif0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1280
stf0: flags=0<> mtu 1280
en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULT ICAST> mtu 1500
inet6 fe80::20a:27ff:feae:2c30%en0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4
inet 205.206.143.188 netmask 0xfffff800 broadcast 205.206.143.255
ether 00:0a:27:ae:2c:30
media: autoselect (10baseT/UTP <half-duplex>) status: active
supported media: none autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex,hw-loopback> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX <half-duplex,hw-loopback> 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex,hw-loopback>
en1: flags=8822<BROADCAST,SMART,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
tunnel inet -->
ether 00:30:65:11:72:bb
media: autoselect (<unknown type>) status: inactive
supported media: autoselect

JeremyS  (op)
Senior User
Sep 16, 2002, 07:39 PM

Also to clarify the crossover cable seems to be needed to connect the modem to the HUB, when I conncect the modem to the hub with a normal cable it will not give me internet.

JeremyS  (op)
Senior User
Sep 16, 2002, 10:33 PM

bump!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2002, 03:10 AM

Originally posted by dfiler:
Crossover (ethernet) cables haven't been needed for a while. Someone jump in if this is wrong but... G4 ehternet hardware should auto-detect being plugged directly into another computer and swap the outer two conductors.
Ture indeed, but I thought only PowerMac G4s had these "cable-detect" controllers. Do other Macs have them too? Maybe just those Macs that have gigabit Ethernet controllers? And what about PCs?

Forum Links
Forum Rules