Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Equivalent of XP's Onscreen Keyboard

Equivalent of XP's Onscreen Keyboard
manofsteel300
Sep 29, 2002, 11:39 PM

Is there anything similar to windows' onscreen keyboard for the mac? i have an international keyboard set up but the keys are all in different places and theres no way i can effectively type without memorizing where the keyes are. On the PC there is a keyboard and you can type with the mouse. I looked on VersionTracker and there are 2 programs that display a keyboard but they dont work with international fonts like hebrew and arabic.
it doesnt seem like it would be hard to program something like this that would imput all the key values and show them on a keyboard image..
Thanks for your help.
DOS Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq, Tandy, and millions of others are by far the most popular, with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans, on the other hand, may note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans, and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -- New York Times, November 26, 1991

deharlow
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2002, 01:46 AM

Originally posted by manofsteel300:
Is there anything similar to windows' onscreen keyboard for the mac? i have an international keyboard set up but the keys are all in different places and theres no way i can effectively type without memorizing where the keyes are. On the PC there is a keyboard and you can type with the mouse. I looked on VersionTracker and there are 2 programs that display a keyboard but they dont work with international fonts like hebrew and arabic.
it doesnt seem like it would be hard to program something like this that would imput all the key values and show them on a keyboard image..
Thanks for your help.
There is a character palatte in OS X 10.2. I am not sure if this does what you want it to do but go under the international system pref and then under Input Menu tab and check it along with any languages you want. Then using the Input menu next to the help menu on the menu bar you can show the character palette.

Daniel

drmcnutt
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2002, 02:01 AM

Originally posted by deharlow:

There is a character palatte in OS X 10.2. I am not sure if this does what you want it to do but go under the international system pref and then under Input Menu tab and check it along with any languages you want. Then using the Input menu next to the help menu on the menu bar you can show the character palette.

Daniel
That intuitive?

DRM

Detrius
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2002, 09:58 AM

The reason you couldn't find much of anything on version tracker is because it has been included with the Mac OS for years. It's called Key Caps, and it is in your utilities folder.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

manofsteel300  (op)
Sep 30, 2002, 07:29 PM

Yes, Key Caps DOES do a lot of what i need, BUT you cannot use it to type directly into a program like you can on XP or like you can with the programs from version tracker. why isn't it possible to combine them?
DOS Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq, Tandy, and millions of others are by far the most popular, with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans, on the other hand, may note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans, and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -- New York Times, November 26, 1991

Mithras
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2002, 08:38 PM

Originally posted by manofsteel300:
Yes, Key Caps DOES do a lot of what i need, BUT you cannot use it to type directly into a program like you can on XP or like you can with the programs from version tracker. why isn't it possible to combine them?
Did you try the character palette? It works quite nicely, though I'll concede it's not arranged like the keyboard.

For Asian fonts it is a godsend, with a dictionary of similar characters, etc.

manofsteel300  (op)
Sep 30, 2002, 10:28 PM

I tried it, only problem is that it is ver slow to open and to use. It is not nearly as convienient as key caps.

On a side note.. the character palette is very interesting. All those unicode characters..mmmmm but what about all the spaces. are there other fonts that we can download and fill those spaces? And why cant all applications use them. Especially internet explorer?

DoughBoy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2002, 10:58 PM

Hello,

After doing a search on VersionTracker (just searched for "keyboard"), I came across a few promising programs:

Mouseki - $15
TouchStrokes - $95
KeyStrokes - $195

The last two programs are made by the same company.

Hope this helps,

Sean

manofsteel300  (op)
Sep 30, 2002, 11:26 PM

Yeah those are precisely the progams i was reffering to. Only problem is that they cannot show international keyboards.
I would program this myself but i can barely make an error-free real basic program.. shows how much i know

Forum Links
Forum Rules