Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > why do the french hate the U.S. so much?

why do the french hate the U.S. so much?
snotnose
Senior User
Feb 12, 2003, 05:45 AM

i am just trying to figure out just why the french are anti-american. i haven't just been listening to news and they keep talking about how the french really don't like us.

whats the reason?
Nothing is older than the idea of new

Cipher13
Feb 12, 2003, 05:51 AM

Response number one:

Mostly for the same reasons as the rest of the world?

Response number two:

Uh, the French aren't exactly held in high esteem from Americans either... what, do you expect to be able to dish it out, and not get anything in return?

Response number three:

Nobody likes the US...

Response number four:

Aww, don't worry, it's nothing personal - you're just insecure. They're like that to everybody!

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2003, 05:54 AM

Are you forgetting what nation helped your USA to become independant.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

noliv
Senior User
Feb 12, 2003, 06:19 AM

The French don't hate the US.

A part of the French realy dislike Bush's governement.
A very small part of french extremists hate the US: they are just and this is not typically french. I don't know ANYONE who HATE the US!!!

Now please tell me why the Americans hate France so much? I heard that you can find stickers with "First Iraq, then France" on it: IS IT TRUE?
-noliv

gadster
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2003, 06:26 AM

e-gads

MPC
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2003, 06:34 AM

Originally posted by noliv:
The French don't hate the US.

Now please tell me why the Americans hate France so much? I heard that you can find stickers with "First Iraq, then France" on it: IS IT TRUE?
That's not a sticker it's NeoMac's sig. I haven't seen the sticker but I live in Oregon. We only hate the south up here in lumberjack land.
I can hear the goose-steps getting closer.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2003, 06:56 AM

STFU about other countries "hating you so much", it just shows you have no clue what's wrong with American foreign policy.
It's really annoying the USA takes us for fools and tries to put words in our mouths.
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

noliv
Senior User
Feb 12, 2003, 07:18 AM

snotnose, I suggest you to read the post from hELLO wOLRD on this page:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...0&pagenumber=3
-noliv

MPC
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2003, 07:21 AM

Originally posted by PB2K:
STFU about other countries "hating you so much", it just shows you have no clue what's wrong with American foreign policy.
It's really annoying the USA takes us for fools and tries to put words in our mouths.
I'm from America, I understand what's wrong with our policy. Your not alone in thinking our elected leader is making bad decisions. I'm more pissed then you. Please don't judge America by our leader right now, this is just a blip in the grand scheme of things. I think a percentage of Americans have realized that this is our world, we must learn to live together in harmony if we are to succeed.

B_2
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2003, 07:35 AM

Everyone likes the US in general, but their goverments and foreign policy's suck eggs.

We all know why Bush wants to go to war, but when the MADMAN gassed his own people what did the US do?

During the IRAQ/IRAN war who gave IRAQ satellite images of where the IRANIAN forces were? USA

I pity all you americans! you cant see it, all the troubles in the world, the good OL USA is to blame.

Who trained & armend BIN WANKEN?

simonjames
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2003, 07:40 AM

Its not just the French - I have friends from many countries who can't stand the US - Germans in particular think the US is a social cesspool. Mind you - I've found Italians love Americans.

Its just the French are more vocal with their dislike.

Time to go to bed - its a school night and I have to be up in 7 hours

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2003, 08:12 AM

Envy.

Cipher13
Feb 12, 2003, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:
Envy.
Typical.

And yet you wonder why the rest of the world hates you...

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2003, 08:15 AM

Envy.
I've heard this before, but can you tell us what it is that we envy about you and your style of life?

And how come that when a country says something against US foreign policy that they are regarded as anti-american, or just that they say this because they hate you?

Are americans really that insecure? At least not the ones I know.

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2003, 08:17 AM

Originally posted by B_2:
Who trained & armend BIN WANKEN?
Pakistan. But actually, he didn't get much training from anyone as it pretty obvious if you seen him in that footage shooting an AK-47. He is plainly not comfortable with firearms. Bin Laden was never a soldier of even military commander. His role in the Afghan war against the Soviets was finance and engineering. Both drew on his personal fortune and familiy construction firm.

MPC
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2003, 08:21 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
Typical.

And yet you wonder why the rest of the world hates you.
Whoa! Dude! Please don't lump us into one big ball. I am 180 degrees away from this guys thoughts. Yet, I live in the same country. This is a big place.

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 12, 2003, 08:37 AM

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2003, 08:38 AM

Yup. Judging by the reaction - I was right.

Envy.

Cipher13
Feb 12, 2003, 08:46 AM

Yup. Judging by the reaction - I was right.

Envy.
What, exactly, do I envy?

Originally posted by MPC:
Whoa! Dude! Please don't lump us into one big ball. I am 180 degrees away from this guys thoughts. Yet, I live in the same country. This is a big place.
Haha, don't worry, I know that - I know lots of Americans that I actually like.

Unfortunately, the American population in general, from what I can tell, isn't so wonderful.

But on the same note, nor is any other, including our population.

I hate your Government, and a large portion of the American population; but mostly I'm just causing trouble.

Don't take that personally; I hate my Government and a large portion of our population too. But this thread isn't about Australia...

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 12, 2003, 08:49 AM

Seriously though, it's easy and fun to hate the guy on top. This is to be excpected. To I hate people who hate the US? Naw, that is kinda petty. Most of this anti-US stuff usually is.

GRAFF
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2003, 08:57 AM

Originally posted by snotnose:
i am just trying to figure out just why the french are anti-american. i haven't just been listening to news and they keep talking about how the french really don't like us. Whats the reason?
As 'noliv' already said, the French really do like Americans and the USA. Everyone I know here has nothing but good things to say about the country and its people. French music, popular fashion, and television are all heavily influenced by the US.

What most French take issue with is the current administration's cowboy mentality when it comes to international policy. Bush himself is ridiculed daily in the press and on the popular "Guignols" on Canal+

I am, however, shocked at the venimous comments coming from Americans towards the French in general, when their comments should be directed at foreign policy decisions and not an entire people.

You can say all you want about Chirac, but don't look anywhere else for a real croissant au beurre.

noliv
Senior User
Feb 12, 2003, 08:59 AM

Don't take that personally; I hate my Government and a large portion of our population too.
"Hate" is too strong but I also dislike my government and a large portion or our population!

But this thread isn't about Australia...
This thread is about something wrong.

I have a question: Why do americans think that the french hate the US?
-noliv

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2003, 09:05 AM

The French hate the fact that Americans are more arrogant than themselves. This is also a form of envy.

Actually, I get the impression that Americans Like the French. If you asked a hundred Americans where they'd like to visit, I bet 70 of them would say "Paris".

yakkiebah
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2003, 09:09 AM

The French hate the fact that Americans are more arrogant than themselves. This is also a form of envy.

haha!

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2003, 09:13 AM

Originally posted by voodoo:
oooooo....mmmust....resist..... GHAAAAA! CAN'T do it...

Voodoo, you know I enjoy our conversations. You know I like your POV. You know I respect you. So, remember, this is said with love and respect: ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?

OK. I feel better. I'd like to recommend a book for you- one of the BEST histories of the American Revolution ever- not to mention a damned good read: Patriots by A.J. Languth. It has some lovely sections concerning the history of French involvement in the Colonies.

Also remember- I think America did its damnedest to return the favor.

I got nothing against the French. Their Government, well, that would be another matter.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2003, 09:26 AM

Nah, you're all wrong. The French are just bitter that they surrendered and we keep laughing at them for it.

B_2
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2003, 10:14 AM

Most of the replys from the american based members kinda proves a point, you need to educate yourselves and not take the words of clowns like GEORGE DUBYA BUSH as gospel.

Why is the US going after MADMAN again, thats right they decided not to remove him during the Gulf War, another **** up like Somalia, Vietnam....and leaving Afghanistan to the dogs after the russians pulled out........

You guys sum up your leader!

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Feb 12, 2003, 10:15 AM

( Last edited by daimoni; Jul 5, 2004 at 12:14 AM. )

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2003, 10:21 AM

Originally posted by B_2:
Why is the US going after MADMAN again, thats right they decided not to remove him during the Gulf War
Simple. Because at the time the Security Council authorized the coalition only to liberate Kuwait, not to occupy Iraq. It wasn't the US' decision not to remove Saddam, it was the decision of the UN and its members in the security council - and that includes your government. In hindsight, that was a mistake. But mistakes can be fixed, they don't have to be repeated.

willed
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2003, 10:39 AM

No one likes America at the moment. Simple as that. Stop ranting on about 'old europe' in every goddam post.

palmberg
Senior User
Feb 12, 2003, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by simonjames:
Germans in particular think the US is a social cesspool.
Of course. What would you expect from the home of Hitler?

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2003, 10:48 AM

Sigh. I'm telling you. The American Gov't needs to close the check book and turn off the phones for a while.
I mean it.
You can't have it both ways.
Whaddya want? Huh? Protection? Intervention? Economic boosters? Subsidies? Trade? Alliances? Intelligence? Technology? What? What do you want? You want we should go away for a while? Seriously. Think on it:
America closes the checkbook and boarders. America turns the phones off. America spends ONE year tending only to it's own.
What do you think will happen?
I imply nothing. I am asking: What do you think will happen?

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 12, 2003, 10:49 AM

Originally posted by willed:
No one likes America at the moment. Simple as that. Stop ranting on about 'old europe' in every goddam post.
Actually most countries are pro US. It's the ones that aren't that are the minorites.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN

Originally posted by palmberg:
Oooo. Uncalled for.

Cipher13

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Seriously though, it's easy and fun to hate the guy on top. This is to be excpected. To I hate people who hate the US? Naw, that is kinda petty. Most of this anti-US stuff usually is.
Of course, very true.

But I think, in this case, less hate can be attributed to that than to many other factors... much less.

Cipher13
Feb 12, 2003, 10:51 AM

Actually, I get the impression that Americans Like the French. If you asked a hundred Americans where they'd like to visit, I bet 70 of them would say "Paris".
Haha. Indeed.

But still - I want to know what I've got to be envious of.

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 12, 2003, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by maxelson:
I am asking: What do you think will happen?

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2003, 10:59 AM

What do you mean, the French LOVE Jerry Lewis...
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Zarqawi's Stump
Banned
Location: Festering in a mobile bioweapons facility somewhere inside Iraq as they use my flesh to culture anthrax.
Feb 12, 2003, 11:01 AM

I want to know what I've got to be envious of.
Nothing really. You have access to the same comforts and freedoms that Americans have, though certain products may be more expensive.

Additionally, the French are not envious of Americans' lifestyles--after all, France has a high standard of living too.

In a world where US non-decisions carry more impact than French decisions; where English, not French, is the lingua franca; where American culture has replaced French culture as pervasive throughout the world: all this, accursed infidels, is the root of French hate and biting animosity directed against the Great Satan and its people. The French hate America because the French hate what they have become: weak, impotent, irrelevant, and easily overlooked.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2003, 11:07 AM

A: Uncalled for indeed. Where's that red "ban" button. Argh, damn, wrong forum.

B: Hitler was Austrian. if you want to be abusive, at least be factually right.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2003, 11:07 AM

Haha. Indeed.

But still - I want to know what I've got to be envious of.

American men, on average, have bigger johnsons than French men.

naturally, the myth that 'size doesn't matter' originated in France.

Of course it doesn't matter. Just ask any woman.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2003, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by voodoo:
Are you forgetting what nation ram from the Nazi's turning a war into a World War? And what country had to help them get their own land back.

If they would have stood their ground, Hitler would have had to back down. He still wasn't strong enough to take the French Army. He was just clever to look powerful. He had nothing to back. The french would have taken some casualties (as the did anyway), but it could have averted a world war... then again some argue Hitler let the french get away... and could have killed much more than he did when he crossed the boreder.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2003, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by simonjames:
Its not just the French - I have friends from many countries who can't stand the US - Germans in particular think the US is a social cesspool.
Uhh? I'd love to meet them. Personally I've rarely encountered them. Sweeping statement with no base in reality.

B_2
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2003, 11:34 AM

American men, on average, have bigger johnsons than French men.

naturally, the myth that 'size doesn't matter' originated in France.

Of course it doesn't matter. Just ask any woman.

Dont know how ta tell ya this Puffdaddy, ooops i meant Spliffdaddy,
but i feel your name implies you like plenty of spliffs and as it is well documented within Medical Circles;
lOT OF SPLIFFS = REDUCTION IN BRAIN CELLS!

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2003, 11:37 AM

[B]Sigh. I'm telling you. The American Gov't needs to close the check book and turn off the phones for a while.
We can't.

We import too much oil to not care where it comes from.

BOT: French folks I know don't hate Americans. French folks I know don't care much for Bush. But then again, they don't care much for Chirac, either.

MrBenn
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2003, 11:37 AM

Its not because of your evil, corrupt, war-mongering president. They've hated you for years. Don't worry, they hate us too. They're just grumpy because they have to learn the english language when we hardly ever bother to learn theirs.
Row, row, row your boat,
Gently down the stream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
Life is but a dream.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2003, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by Timo:
We can't.

We import too much oil to not care where it comes from.

BOT: French folks I know don't hate Americans. French folks I know don't care much for Bush. But then again, they don't care much for Chirac, either.
What. You kidding? The Bush administration is the absolute NAZ when it comes to alternative energy! Any more green and he'd have a boxwood growing out of his head!

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2003, 12:04 PM

What. You kidding? The Bush administration is the absolute NAZ when it comes to alternative energy! Any more green and he'd have a boxwood growing out of his head!
I'll buy the boxwood part...

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2003, 12:04 PM

STFU! You're ignorance is showing!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Tota
Feb 12, 2003, 12:42 PM

they keep talking about how the french really don't like us.

whats the reason? [/B]
I thought you 're an European.??

Anyway, the French like to hate..they are addicts to any kind of emotion, that includes the bad ones......they also enjoy cursing, screaming, farting, pissing in the streets, beating up their wives, making racist jokes etc.. So in that sense they aren't any different from you guys.
-- --

Forum Links
Forum Rules