Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > combine multiple SVCDs, burn to DVD

combine multiple SVCDs, burn to DVD
DeepDish
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2003, 10:14 AM

I have downloaded serveral SVCDs.

I want to burn them onto one DVD on my eMac.

Sometimes the SVCDs I download are .bin files, sometimes they are mpg files (mpeg2 I assume).

I can burn multiple SVCDs on my eMac through Toast.

But I want them all on one DVD-R.

Any advice?

Super Glitcher
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2003, 02:50 PM

I've been trying at this myself lately, I have a number of avi. files that I wanted to put on a DVD as chapters. So far though I haven't had the best luck.

The root of the problem seems to be that video on a DVD has to be MPEG2 format, getting the avi files to MPEG2 is no problem, quicktime pro does that easily enough - but the file size is huge!

Lets say I have a 2 hour avi., it's 636mb/640x480. I convert that to MPEG2 - but - first you have to select your data rate... production dvds run around 9mbs (which translates into about a 9gb file, also I believe that 9mbs is the ceiling for current dvd players). But most of us only have DVD5 burners or DVD5 media (not sure) (so we can only burn DVDs that are 4.7gb) so I set my data rate to around 4mbs... wait.. wait.. wait.. (unless you already got your g5 =P )

Then ta-da - your once 636mb avi. is now a 4.5gb mpeg2.. which has pretty much eliminated the idea of getting multiple files on one DVD.

This is only what 'I've' found. I am really curious to see if anyone posts on this thread with information showing otherwise.. as I'd really rather not have to burn 25 dvds.. but at the same time I want to maintain the quality of the files... .. anyone?
"Thank you Mario, but our princess is in another castle."

tracheopterix
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2003, 05:02 PM

i am trying to do the same thing. spent hours trying to turn XViD files into QT files, then mpeg1 files, or just trying ot figure out which files to use, then I see that they are much bigger converted.

I am a bit lost with this so far, but moving forward. Was trying to think of an intelligent way to post a question on how to do this right, but screw it.

Here is what I'd like to do. I have DVDSP2 and I want to put as many 22 minute simpson's episodes as I can (not sacrificing quality) onto a dvd. they are XViD (avi) files now. I have used ffmpeg (spelling?) and divx doctor 2 and divxray and a few others, most suck. I have toast6 and it converts avi which is good, but it is slow on my dual 1.25 and it produced a vcd without sound in one test. I will wait for the encoding process if i know it will work. So if anyone has this all figured out please shed some light on it.

(((z)))

Laurence
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2003, 06:57 PM

If you feel like spending around $150 you can get a DVD player that will just play the AVI files. check out the LVD-2001 from LiteON (www.liteonit.com) It will play a DVD filled with MPEG1, MPEG2, DivX, XviD, JPG, MP3, etc... it plays about anything you throw at it. check out the reviews at www.dvdrhelp.com for more information.

DVDRhelp.com also has some information about converting SVCDs to DVD allowing multiple movies on one disc, although most of the information is based on PC utility programs. Most have equivelents on the Mac though. also check out FFMPEGX at homepage.mac.com/major4
--Laurence

shamelri
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2003, 09:01 PM

OK here is my first post. Go to Sears and pay $40 for an Apex ad1200.
Burn a dvd as a data disc with the .mpg files from the svcd's. When you play the dvd it will show a menu with all the mpg's . Unless you want to recode all your svcd's then go this route.

Steve

DeepDish  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2003, 09:05 AM

Thats is what I am doing now.

But I can't share these DVDs with anybody else since most dvd plays can't play dvd data disk like my apex can, let alone being about to play svcds.

Forum Links
Forum Rules