Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Expected More & Got less

Expected More & Got less (Page 2)
Spirit_VW
Senior User
Apr 24, 2001, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by Terri:

Well first you have to change all your work habits, never mind you will get a lot less done, the dock is fun to watch.

We are the borg you will use Mac X, resistance is futile
You seem to be a very intelligent person, but when you make snide little remarks like this, it makes it very hard to take you seriously.

------------------
Kevin Buchanan
The Spirit of Volkswagen
The Retro New Beetle Headquarters
Webmaster, Fort Worth VolksFolks Club
Kevin Buchanan
Fort Worthology

cpt kangarooski
Apr 24, 2001, 11:05 PM

xenu-
dircolors only changes colors on a per-extension basis. it's totally useless if you want to change one html file, and not another.

all of the workarounds posted so far are just that - workarounds. none of them are as convenient, or even as functional as something as simple as labels are. if Apple could leave out something so basic, it's not hard to understand how there's so much else left out, which may never get back. (like the alarming lack of importance shown to type/creator codes - which were in need of beefing up, not abandoning)

Macpassport  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2001, 11:46 PM

Originally posted by TN2B:
Macpassport: not to mention following the forum guidelines
and having the common courtesy of not starting a new thread just because you feel like it when there are similar threads already available.
Hey sorry to tell you, why not I am not doing anything wrong if you do not like it why do you post here go to the similar ones ok....GO I

mumble
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2001, 11:46 PM

Originally posted by cpt kangarooski:
(like the alarming lack of importance shown to type/creator codes - which were in need of beefing up, not abandoning)
If you knew the first thing about the ways they have been beefed up not abandoned you wouldn't post this BS. Clue: LaunchServices.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2001, 11:47 PM

Labels are no substitute for a real workflow tool. Use one of those, and you'll see just how crude Labels actually were.

I do agree with you on the subject of type/creator codes, though: I'm dismayed that they haven't received a more prominent place. I'm of a mind, though, that they do need a redo. Rather than a pair of four-letter codes, the Type should be expanded to a full text string (ideally for a MIME type), similarly to BeOS. The Creator code (the real innovation behind the dual-code system, as it allows a file to be bound to an arbitrary app even if the defaults are different) should be made longer too, though obviously for different reasons.

This said, I suppose the four-character code does have its advantages. The reason four characters was chosen for the length is because that puts the size of a code at exactly 32 bits, the size of an integer. That lets you do some fun stuff with the codes, like use them in switch statements where you couldn't use an ordinary string. But that's getting into technical stuff; from a user standpoint there's no real benefit to having a code be that short.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Macpassport  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2001, 11:52 PM

Originally posted by griffman:
Terri:

It really depends on what kind of work you do. For me, I get more done. Others get less done. And I've turned off all the dock animations; I didn't like them one bit. Speed, stability, and multi-tasking are the three selling points that cover a whole bunch of GUI oddities ... for ME.

Macpassport writes: "until the guys at apple give us something better and less crude version of OSX "

Macpassport - it'd be much easier for everyone to respect your opinion if you publsihed the REASONS for your opinion -- see above, where I state why it's OK for X to have some GUI problems and support my opinion. Otherwise, it does just look like you're posting to inflame, instead of posting to inspire conversation. What, specifically, do you find 'crude' about the OS? What will they fix in the year or so that you're waiting?

-rob.
Well Well Well another chicken here....are you smart enough to notice that does not have any sounds, does not support CD burning..etc etc etc when you are able to notice this ...please come back and post on my thread ok, for now please leave and do not post here any more OK! entiende?

Joey (sans password)
Apr 25, 2001, 08:46 AM

Originally posted by Macpassport:
I am really disapointed with apple engineers <snip>

I don't think you have any idea of what they do, how they do it, or what's involved. You have no right to criticise the engineers on this level. Critcise the work, not those who make it happen.

J.M.Shauky
Apr 25, 2001, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by Joey (sans password):

I don't think you have any idea of what they do, how they do it, or what's involved. You have no right to criticise the engineers on this level. Critcise the work, not those who make it happen.
I work for a software company here in Cupertino and I do not see why all the criticism to Macpassport, the guy is saying something he as an user felt as a user, OF CURSE HE HAS DE RIGHT TO CRITICISE THE ENGINEERS...HE PAID FOR THE OPERATING SYSTEM.....NOBODY GAVE IT TO HIM FOR FREE

Go Macpassport, we as engineers consider feedback of users like you, not like other people that defend something just because they arr macaddicts or something like that.

Thanks

urp
Apr 25, 2001, 11:14 AM

Relax JM. All Joey is trying to say is rank on the software not on the engineers.

BAD: !*$% software. You suck, your mother sucks. I know where you live, I know where your children go to school. !*$% software.

GOOD: !*$% software.

YMMV.

griffman
Senior User
Apr 25, 2001, 11:33 AM

>>Well Well Well another chicken here....are you smart enough to notice that does not have any sounds, does not support CD burning..etc etc etc when you are able to notice this ...please come back and post on my thread ok, for now please leave and do not post here any more OK! entiende?<<

You're calling ME a chicken? Am I supposed to be reading your mind as to why you think the OS sucks? And sorry, it's not your thread. It's a thread on a public forum on a public site on a public internet. So if you want to post something in YOUR thread, please (a) create your website, (b) password protect it, (c) invite your friends to visit it, (d) post what you want, and (e) kick them out if they don't write back what you like. Until such time as you do that, you'll have to put up with me, and anyone else who cares to, responding to your posts.

Are you smart enough to realize that those engineers you just dumped all over have added the following features over OS 9: true multi-tasking, protected memory, virtual memory management, a full-blown web server, a full-blown FTP server, a true multi-user environment, access to a world of UNIX software, an incredibly useful column-view in the Finder, the dock, customizable toolbar, slick Apple mail program, full Java compliance, Aqua graphics layer, shadowing, transparency, greatly improved Location Manager, long filename support, 128bit fully scalable icons, built-in PDF creation and viewing technology, the ability to run apps written in FOUR separate environments (Java, Classic, Carbon, Cocoa), etc etc etc. Probably not, since you're focused on complaining about what they haven't done, rather than seeing what has been done...

And if you're going to try to flame me, at least put a little bit of effort into it. I don't get mad often (as those who read my regular posts will attest), and I'm geniunely interested in helping those that want to understand X better do so ... all I'm saying is, if you're going to bitch about something, please put the 'something' in your bitch so that a meaningful conversation can follow. Otherwise, you come across as just another Windows-using troll who doesn't actually know the first thing about OS X, and have just come here to stir up a hornet's nest. NOTE: I have nothing against Windows user, as I am one during the day ... just those that come here with no intent other than starting fire.

As for my response to your original rant, now that I know some of it, here it is ... to me, sounds are meaningless, so I don't consider that a problem with X. However, if Apple doesn't add them back, I'm sure some enterprising third party will do so, as there appears to be a market there. Burning a CD requires exactly three extra minutes than it used to -- I reboot into OS 9, burn, then reboot again into X. Big deal, and burning's been announced and is due, possibly as soon as next week. That doesn't mean the OS sucks. There's my response to the only two concerns you've now chosen to give us...

If you would have listed sounds and CD burning in your first post, we could've had a discussion about them. Instead you write some vague, meandering rant about lousy software, and wonder why those of us that genuinely try to help people here get frustrated. Once you've learned how to express your concerns in a clear manner, you'll find you may get more sympathetic and helpful responses.

-rob.

[This message has been edited by griffman (edited 04-25-2001).]
Visit macosxhints.com ... a community-built OS X hints and tips site.

J.M.Shauky
Apr 25, 2001, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by griffman:
>>Well Well Well another chicken here....are you smart enough to notice that does not have any sounds, does not support CD burning..etc etc etc when you are able to notice this ...please come back and post on my thread ok, for now please leave and do not post here any more OK! entiende?<<

You're calling ME a chicken? Am I supposed to be reading your mind as to why you think the OS sucks? And sorry, it's not your thread. It's a thread on a public forum on a public site on a public internet. So if you want to post something in YOUR thread, please (a) create your website, (b) password protect it, (c) invite your friends to visit it, (d) post what you want, and (e) kick them out if they don't write back what you like. Until such time as you do that, you'll have to put up with me, and anyone else who cares to, responding to your posts.

Are you smart enough to realize that those engineers you just dumped all over have added the following features over OS 9: true multi-tasking, protected memory, virtual memory management, a full-blown web server, a full-blown FTP server, a true multi-user environment, access to a world of UNIX software, an incredibly useful column-view in the Finder, the dock, customizable toolbar, slick Apple mail program, full Java compliance, Aqua graphics layer, shadowing, transparency, greatly improved Location Manager, long filename support, 128bit fully scalable icons, built-in PDF creation and viewing technology, the ability to run apps written in FOUR separate environments (Java, Classic, Carbon, Cocoa), etc etc etc. Probably not, since you're focused on complaining about what they haven't done, rather than seeing what has been done...

And if you're going to try to flame me, at least put a little bit of effort into it. I don't get mad often (as those who read my regular posts will attest), and I'm geniunely interested in helping those that want to understand X better do so ... all I'm saying is, if you're going to bitch about something, please put the 'something' in your bitch so that a meaningful conversation can follow. Otherwise, you come across as just another Windows-using troll who doesn't actually know the first thing about OS X, and have just come here to stir up a hornet's nest. NOTE: I have nothing against Windows user, as I am one during the day ... just those that come here with no intent other than starting fire.

As for my response to your original rant, now that I know some of it, here it is ... to me, sounds are meaningless, so I don't consider that a problem with X. However, if Apple doesn't add them back, I'm sure some enterprising third party will do so, as there appears to be a market there. Burning a CD requires exactly three extra minutes than it used to -- I reboot into OS 9, burn, then reboot again into X. Big deal, and burning's been announced and is due, possibly as soon as next week. That doesn't mean the OS sucks. There's my response to the only two concerns you've now chosen to give us...

If you would have listed sounds and CD burning in your first post, we could've had a discussion about them. Instead you write some vague, meandering rant about lousy software, and wonder why those of us that genuinely try to help people here get frustrated. Once you've learned how to express your concerns in a clear manner, you'll find you may get more sympathetic and helpful responses.

-rob.

I cannot believe this!!! you are suppose to be a serious poster come on..what is going on here...of course it is his thread, he started it and noboy invited us, we came to the thread he started, you could go post somewhere else too...Why dont you do that, or is it that you have some special interest in APPLE? are you an investor? because as an user, most people who bought OSX are disapointed, if you are not! good for you! AND YES ENGINEERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS PEACE OF GARBAGE THEY CALL THE MOST OPERATING SYSTEM IN THE WORLD! JAJAJAJAJ what a Joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

weinc2001
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2001, 01:01 PM

OS X is a slow fuked up piece of **** . I hope it starts spontaneously combusting...

griffman
Senior User
Apr 25, 2001, 01:06 PM

Sigh. Which part of the words "public forum" are you having trouble understanding?

Thank you for the value-added contribution to the discussion. Have anything else meaningful to say? Please feel free to take it up with me in private, here's my email address:

[email protected]

I'm not sure what the point of your diatribe was, especially quoting my entire response. That was really a nice touch for the (already too high) load on the MacNN servers. However, it's obvious it has nothing to do with OS X, so if you'd like to continue to berate me in the privacy of email, please feel free.

>>because as an user, most people who bought OSX are disapointed, if you are not<<

Please post your proof of this opinion. I have seen no user satisfaction surveys anywhere that ask this question, one way or the other. I'd love to see one, if you can post a URL with the results.

BTW, I've been a user since the days of the Apple ][, so yes, I do have a special interest in Apple. I want them to survive and thrive, which seems to differ from what you want.

>>OS X is a slow fuked up piece of **** . I hope it starts spontaneously combusting...<<

I guess junior high must be out for the day again...

-rob.

weinc2001
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2001, 01:13 PM

I guess some people have their fukin' head in the clouds..

griffman
Senior User
Apr 25, 2001, 01:17 PM

Please take your complaints with me and my posts off this thread, so that it can stand some chance of returning to a discussion on OS X. You have my email address, please slam away. But for everyone's sake, take it off the boards. This is supposed to be a discussion about OS X.

-rob.

weinc2001
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2001, 01:20 PM

Pretty soon Apple will be making hardware for MS...it will happen sooner than you think ...I bought 3 Macs...Macs suck...( P.S. I really hate MS and Windows, but they are gonna do it...one comsumer OS, OS X has been released for X86 and then MS will use XP for the GUI and Apple will make the hardware) And you r a dick...if you like a really slow OS that sucks and has no Apps and want to become a DOS retard to fix your box then more power to you...

griffman
Senior User
Apr 25, 2001, 01:36 PM

You have your opinion, I have mine, and it's obvious they differ. If you dislike X, please stay with 9, send your feedback to Apple, and hope they fix it to your satisfaction. If you dislike Apple, then find another platform.

Calling me names really doesn't bother me at all; if it gives you a greater sense of power, then that's fine by me. I prefer to stick to the facts, but if you don't have any, then I can see why name calling might be easier than actually supporting your argument.

No more posts to this thread by me, since it's obvious now that it's just about flames. If you wish to continue the conversation in private, you know where to reach me.

-rob.

weinc2001
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2001, 01:36 PM

Who wants to run UNIX software??? I bought an Apple computer so I could run the Mac OS and Apps written for the Mac OS, not UNIX, If I wanted to run UNIX I would have bought a Sun computer. Macs were cool because they were easy to use and you could put Apps, Files, Folders anywhere you wanted to and then would work...now they are starting to suck...OS X sucks, I bought 3 Macs...Macs suck.

Hank Thompson
Apr 25, 2001, 01:37 PM

These things always end up being a penis size contest.

I came to MacNN thinking that there would be more useful information in the forums and less garbage. I was wrong.

Anyone know of a good Mac site where the moderators don't allow this?

weinc2001
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2001, 01:40 PM

Some people are too smart to post on this forum, they don't like people who are real and shoot from the hip...they are better than the rest of us...go write a book

griffman
Senior User
Apr 25, 2001, 01:41 PM

Hank - Email me in private (although you may think I'm part of the problem, but you have my word that the above two or three posts are not typical!) and I'll tell you where I go to get high quality help, solid moderation, and minimal noise-to-signal ratios...

I'd just rather not post it here, for obvious reasons.

-rob.
[email protected]

weinc2001
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2001, 01:47 PM

Useful info on OS X...It came out like a month ago dude, what do expect? Apple doesn't even know what the hell to do with it, it's a big messy bloated OS...go look at Apple computer and read their hyped up TIL's on OS X written by the marketing dept. Also why don't you register? what's the problem with MacNN? It is a good place...they aren't weenies who try to gag anyone who writes something form the hip.

weinc2001
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2001, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by weinc2001:
Useful info on OS X...It came out like a month ago dude, what do expect? Apple doesn't even know what the hell to do with it, it's a big messy bloated OS...go look at Apple computer and read their hyped up TIL's on OS X written by the marketing dept. Also why don't you register? what's the problem with MacNN? It is a good place...they aren't weenies who try to gag anyone who writes something from the hip.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2001, 01:51 PM

Pretty soon Apple will be making hardware for MS...it will happen sooner than you think ...I bought 3 Macs...Macs suck...( P.S. I really hate MS and Windows, but they are gonna do it...one comsumer OS, OS X has been released for X86 and then MS will use XP for the GUI and Apple will make the hardware) And you r a dick...if you like a really slow OS that sucks and has no Apps and want to become a DOS retard to fix your box then more power to you...
I read somewhere that a good indiciation of someone's intellegence is one's use of language. Perhaps there is some truth to that. Do u realize Windows 95 didn't have a lot of apps when it came out? But let's not go there. Let's talk about the MASSIVE ammount of apps available for OSX. Classic apps work under OSX. So we're no worse of than before. Then there's new OSX native (and old Classic) apps being ported through Carbon and Cocoa so they're more stable. Also, want to run ur old java apps? They'll work too. Then there's pretty much every unix app ever written. Xwindows, GIMP, etc. There's plenty of Windows admins who wish they had unix machines (they're just easier to administer). Oh yeah, and OSX has VPC, which can emulate Windows2000. So we got every windows app too. What does Windows got? Windows apps. Period.

I'm not sure what ur "DOS retard" statement implies. Are u unhappy that power users who tweek their system can fix it, or maybe the fact that OSX has a, heaven forbid, commandline?

I'm sorry you think macs suck. It depends on what ur refering too. The lack of stability? Low mhz? Bad colors? It all depends what u want to get out of it. Some people just have bad experiences, both ways. I know PC people who've had nothing but trouble, but Macs have beem a godsend. And then there are people who've had nothing but problems with Macs, and fell in love with PCs. Macs just seem more intuitive than PCs. Ever tried to fix registry settings - that's a joy, I asure you.

But whatever. The speed issue will be determined by July. I can only hope for the best.

F-bacher

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2001, 02:04 PM

As always remember to stay on topic and avoid personal insults. Were here to flame about OS X not each other.

MikeM32
Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Apr 25, 2001, 02:26 PM

Here's my spin on the whole issue about OSX problems:

I don't think people who haven't used or have only used OSX for like 1 hr really have any right to whine. If negative postings here and on other boards are scaring you stay with OS 9.1 for a while.

The people that are deliberately bashing OSX (mostly wintel fanatics/morons) should simply be systematically banned from the boards, drawn, quarterred and electrocuted (not necessarily in that order).

Those that have legitiomate reasons and either own OSX or have really used it for more than 2-6 hrs at a time have every right to voice thier gripes.

Yep that's what I said. And the more it's said the more Apple will have to notice it. So I say keep it up until they make OSX perfect for everyone.

And by all means if you do have a legitimate complaint over OSX, send it to Apple themselves as-well. It's simply not enough to post everywhere else but there, you must go to the source.

Mike

macuser38733
Apr 25, 2001, 02:34 PM

OSX rocks!! I can launch classic application which i was able to use before in 9.1 for only 129.99!!! In addition I get unlimited amount of shareware and freeware apps, in addition alphas and betas that run in OSX!

weinc2001
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2001, 02:37 PM

Yes command lines suck. I am running 2 G3's (B&W), I beige G3 and 2 G4 MP 450's. I have a recording studio.
I also run Premiere and final cut pro. OS X is slow and bloated, it's a marketing hustle.
I have been kicked out of some of finest Universities in the world (U of M, Oxford, yes the one in england). stop being so bloody elitist.
I didn't learn very much from higher education other than...how to become a corporate dick head in 10 easy lessons.
I run my own studio and I don't really make my money with typing skills, if I need a something typed properly, I call my secretary who comes once a week to organize things.
Jobs finally got NeXT to the mainstream and is shoving it down everyones throats.
OS X sucks. I hate it. I don't like it. I don't want command lines to optimize the directory. I hate it. I don't like the "NEW" way Mac has gone. I hate it. I don't care about UNIX. I don't need the OS telling me where to put things. I don't need Aqua.
I do need a minimal OS to run the hardware, My sequncer does all the work I need to do. I do need to put files and folders where I want them. I do need to move Apps sometimes and have them work.
I do need to be able to take a disc image of my OS from a CD with my audio Apps on it as well, and drag it onto a new HD and have it work on the first re-boot,first time, if I need too.
I do need to be able to troubleshoot by myself without calling some dork who doesn't have a clue as to what I am using my computer for.
I do need an OS that doesn't feel like a 486 with NT on it ( my MP 450 G4 feels like this with OS X on it, yes I did all the DOS retard commands to speed it up, It still sucks).
I do need new hardware every 2 to 3 years, and I don't know what I will use if Apple does not get their sh!t together with OS X, And no I don't use wintel boxes, I once tried to run Pro-Tools on a Intellistaiion with NT on it, a nighmare it was. So don't say...just go use windows...blah blah blah.
You have no idea how much OS X sucks for what I am trying to do. I am Beta testing for a Audio software company for an OS X apps. OS X's GUI is slowing everthing down so much it's pathetic. You don't run a recording studio with Mac's you don't know sh!t from shinola about what I do, so don't tell me where to stack my empties just because you are king DOS retard with UNIX. I bought 3 Mac's ...Mac's suck.

HeatMiser
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 25, 2001, 02:41 PM

OS X is slow and bloated, it's a marketing hustle.
So stick with OS9? What's the problem? If 9 works and X doesn't, what's all the crying about?

EDIT: Macs don't suck because you say so. FYI.

------------------
The power of UNIX with the simplicity and elegance of Macintosh.

[This message has been edited by HeatMiser (edited 04-25-2001).]
I am the harsh nemesis of all that is unclean!

macuser387332
Apr 25, 2001, 02:45 PM

a refund would be nice.

macuser3873321
Apr 25, 2001, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by macuser38733:
OSX rocks!! I can launch classic application which i was able to use before in 9.1 for only 129.99!!! In addition I get unlimited amount of shareware and freeware apps, in addition alphas and betas that run in OSX!

btw thats a jok for all u slow macaddicts who can't see past the eye candy of OSX!

weinc2001
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2001, 02:53 PM

Also I wanted add, a friend of mine and fellow producer in Detroit is a genius (and now a millionare), he produces ICP, Kid Rock and George Clinton, he can't spell to save his life.

People don't call him up and ask how to spell something, they call him and ask for a show tape to done and sent out with Fed-Ex in 2 hours (try that with OS X!), They ask, I need the re-mix synced to video and I need it by the end of the day Fed-Ex will deliver it in 1 hour.

If you knew how hard some people work their Macs and what they use them for you wouldn't be panting over OS X like you are now.

Try doing anything I do in one day on OS X. Wow it can go on the internet and it has "security". protected memory...Wow!!!

Just goes to show you. you don't have to be an english major to be successful.

OS X has brought all the problems windows has for multimedia, with it.
It just sucks. I wish it didn't, but it does. sorry to burst your "Protected" reality.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2001, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by J.M.Shauky:
AND YES ENGINEERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS PEACE OF GARBAGE THEY CALL THE MOST OPERATING SYSTEM IN THE WORLD! JAJAJAJAJ what a Joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice spelling.

------------------
Dave Simon
----------
Windows are easily broken.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

weinc2001
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2001, 02:56 PM

"

quote:

OS X is slow and bloated, it's a marketing hustle.

So stick with OS9? What's the problem? If 9 works and X doesn't, what's all the crying about?

EDIT: Macs don't suck because you say so. FYI.

------------------
The power of UNIX with the simplicity and elegance of Macintosh.

[This message has been edited by HeatMiser (edited 04-25-2001).]"

DUDE...They sold it to me as an OS,,,that means Operating Sytem that can run a computer. IT IS NOT READY, THEY SHOULD HAVE WAITED THIS IS BULLSH!T.

Leviathan
Apr 25, 2001, 02:59 PM

WEINC2001: So you knew there wasn't much native software for OS X right?
Then you must be one serious IDIOT to have purchased it now for serious work. Not to mention to keep buying Macs even though the first one you got must have obviously "sucked". Bright you aren't.Your posts are just so full of inconsistencies(and ******** )it's hard to take you even remotely seriously. Go away troll.

urp
Apr 25, 2001, 03:01 PM

btw thats a jok for all u slow macaddicts who can't see past the eye candy of OSX!
Duh. Or were you expecting a standing-O for that limpness.
It just sucks. I wish it didn't, but it does. sorry to burst your "Protected" reality.
So you got cred cause you can't spell, got kicked out of school and have a friend who has $$$. BFD. You obviously ain't here to have a conversation. Just want to rant about an OS, that you don't use for production. So what, the world is full of angry people -- except you're angry about an OS. Hah hah.

weinc2001
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2001, 03:03 PM

"I don't think people who haven't used or have only used OSX for like 1 hr really have any right to whine. If negative postings here and on other boards are
scaring you stay with OS 9.1 for a while.

The people that are deliberately bashing OSX (mostly wintel fanatics/morons) should simply be systematically banned from the boards, drawn,
quarterred and electrocuted (not necessarily in that order).

Those that have legitiomate reasons and either own OSX or have really used it for more than 2-6 hrs at a time have every right to voice thier gripes.

Yep that's what I said. And the more it's said the more Apple will have to notice it. So I say keep it up until they make OSX perfect for everyone.

And by all means if you do have a legitimate complaint over OSX, send it to Apple themselves as-well. It's simply not enough to post everywhere else but
there, you must go to the source.

Mike"

Yeah OK like you own the web site and you will regulate everyone...screw you
I bough 3 Macs...Macs suck. ( I really own 8)

gotterdamm
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2001, 03:05 PM

zzz...

Scott or Gorg: go ahead and close this thread. It started off redundant and has gotten more and more off-topic ever since. I don't see a single technical argument or even a valid fact. It's threads like this that are driving away the regulars.

Leviathan
Apr 25, 2001, 03:06 PM

Anyboy get the feeling Matt=Macuser=Weinc=the(lmao)"engineer"JM Shawky are the same person? they type about the same, make equally worthless posts and troll just about equally, don't seem very bright. Hmmmmm.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN

Also I wanted add, a friend of mine and fellow producer in Detroit is a genius (and now a millionare), he produces ICP, Kid Rock and George Clinton, he can't spell to save his life.

People don't call him up and ask how to spell something, they call him and ask for a show tape to done and sent out with Fed-Ex in 2 hours (try that with OS X!), They ask, I need the re-mix synced to video and I need it by the end of the day Fed-Ex will deliver it in 1 hour.

If you knew how hard some people work their Macs and what they use them for you wouldn't be panting over OS X like you are now.

Try doing anything I do in one day on OS X. Wow it can go on the internet and it has "security". protected memory...Wow!!!

Just goes to show you. you don't have to be an english major to be successful.

I would suggest that in a year or so you'll be singing the praises of OS X and how it saved your friend's butt when he was asked to deliver something in one hour and his Mac didn't crash.

I work my computers pretty hard too. And right now, I don't think OS X is ready for prime time. However, I'm SO excited about the possibility of what it presents.

What you have to understand is that is Apple didn't set a date and deliver on that date, software developers would have never believed them again. People put too much time into Taligent/Pink, OpenDoc, Copland, etc. to be suckered into something Apple didn't support again.

Apple had to show a commitment to OS X. They have done so, and the developers are coming.

------------------
Dave Simon
----------
Windows are easily broken.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

macuser3873321

I belive the name of this forum is "Expected more & got less", therefore I'm posting my negetive feeback about OSX RIGHT HERE!
Why don't you start your own topic...say..."love to sleep with my OSX box carton", and post how much you enjoy working in th crappy system.

I spend 129 dollars in hopes of getting a good OS, after using it for about a month, I'm sharing my thoughts in what I would think the apropriate topic.

weinc2001
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2001, 03:07 PM

I am not angry. I think it sucks. Or didn't I say that clearly.

Here...I'll say it again OS X sucks!!! OK!

It that clear enough for you now.

And yes I make loads of money producing records, and I hire a very nice lady who can type.

macuser3873321
Apr 25, 2001, 03:09 PM

Steve won't give you a brand new Ti powerbook for kissing his ass and defending osX.

weinc2001
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2001, 03:15 PM

" would suggest that in a year or so you'll be singing the praises of OS X and how it saved your friend's butt when he was asked to deliver something in
one hour and his Mac didn't crash.

I work my computers pretty hard too. And right now, I don't think OS X is ready for prime time. However, I'm SO excited about the possibility of what it
presents.

What you have to understand is that is Apple didn't set a date and deliver on that date, software developers would have never believed them again. People
put too much time into Taligent/Pink, OpenDoc, Copland, etc. to be suckered into something Apple didn't support again.

Apple had to show a commitment to OS X. They have done so, and the developers are coming."

DUDE, do you know what Pro-Tools is???

You don't need a big bloated slow a$$ OS to run it. it has a break out box and uses it's own hardware.
The Mac os just manages your HD drives and other hardware that's in the computer, and is a place for the sequencer software to reside, that's it, the hardware in the break out box does all the work, you don't need a big processor to run it either, I used to run Pro-Tools on a 9500/200 for like 2 years, the Pro-Tools hardware does most of the work...Duh!

weinc2001
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2001, 03:22 PM

"Anyboy get the feeling Matt=Macuser=Weinc=the(lmao)"engineer"JM Shawky are the same person? they type about the same, make equally worthless
posts and troll just about equally, don't seem very bright. Hmmmmm."

Hmmmm...screw you.

If you could remember half of what I have forgotten ..you maybe, and only maybe could keep up with me for a day.

gotterdamm
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2001, 03:28 PM

Here...I'll say it again OS X sucks!!! OK!
I hate to break your heart here, but your not the Macnn rebel just because you can say "OS X sucks." That has been said a long time before this thread started by people a lot more eloquent than you.
No one has a problem with the fact that you hate OS X. Quit frankly no one gives a $hit. The problem is, that this forum is for technical discussions of computer software. If you have a problem with the software, feel free to tell us why. But when you just scream "OS X sucks!!!11!" and the degenerate into mocking people you make yourself look stupid, and thereby embarrass the rest of us for being in the same forum as you.
You say "OS X is slow!!11!!". Guess what, we know. It's been said 5million times already. We don't care that "I bought 3 Macs and Macs suck!!." Get it over it and quit crying to bunch of strangers because your made poor purchasing decisions.

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2001, 03:32 PM

Okay. This thread has now reached "Boring rant between members" status.

If you want to complain about each other don't do it here.

Forum Links
Forum Rules