Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > No iMac G5 at WWDC 2004.

No iMac G5 at WWDC 2004.
Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 28, 2004, 02:54 PM

Well, let me be the first to whine. No friggin' iMac G5.

Paris?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2004, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
Well, let me be the first to whine. No friggin' iMac G5.

Paris?
I told ya !

Let's hope that Ryan is not right with no G5 iMacs in 2004.

I still think there is going yo be a speed-bumped G4 iMac sometime soon. Right now, there are no iMac's in the stores. That points to something.

-t

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2004, 03:03 PM

Well, this means I may just have to wait some more to purchase. I can wait until the end of the summer.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2004, 03:04 PM

Well, this means I may just have to wait some more.
SOME more.
Whatever that means.
We'll see. Let's hope for sth. in 2004

-t

galarneau
Senior User
Jun 28, 2004, 03:05 PM

Yeah, I don't get it. What the heck are they waiting for?

They have 1.5GHz G4's

They have 8x SuperDrives

Why not put 'em in the iMac now and ship it?

There has to be something coming up soon.

Tomorrow is Tuesday, right?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2004, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by galarneau:

Tomorrow is Tuesday, right?
Is Tuesday iMac day ?
I kinda missed that...

-t

Zoom
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 03:43 PM

According to the Buyer's Guide at MacRumors, it's been 223 days since the iMac was updated, and the average time between updates is 170 days. Actually, if you look at the little bar graphs, it looks like there's one 60-day update that really threw off the average, however, we're still due.

A G5 iMac makes way too much sense, but some sort of iMac update is due regardless. When's the next big show? Of course, Apple could stage a special event for this. Something's gotta happen soon.

I'm just sick of trying to guess this stuff. All this secrecy crap drives me insane.

hldan
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 03:55 PM

Hmmm. Really "weak" 20th anniversary. I have never had a bad comment about Apple but Steve Jobs said they were going to be coming out with some exciting things this year and as far as Macs? Nuthin' Exciting!!

Several years ago they made a 20th anniversary all-in-one Mac Computer to celebrate 20 years of Apple and you would think there would be one for 20 years of the Macintosh.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

superfula
Senior User
Jun 28, 2004, 04:35 PM

I hate to say "I told you so". Some keep claiming that a G5 iMac makes perfect sense. Well of all the threads here, I have yet to read anything of the sort.

Zoom
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by superfula:
I hate to say "I told you so". Some keep claiming that a G5 iMac makes perfect sense. Well of all the threads here, I have yet to read anything of the sort.
There have been all sorts of rationales posted and most of them make sense to me. Care to explain why leaving the iMac as-is makes more sense? Or at least why a G5 iMac does not make sense?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2004, 04:25 AM

So, what's the deal? Is the iMac
a) gonna get a G4? when? at what price?
b) gonna get a G5? when? at what price?
c) gonna die?

Ha, c) would really be interesting.

I'd really like to know what Steve is thinking about the $999-$1999 gap between the entry-level AIO and workstation. No buyers there? BS.

Zoom
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2004, 07:25 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
I'd really like to know what Steve is thinking about the $999-$1999 gap between the entry-level AIO and workstation. No buyers there? BS.
Well, there are TWO iMacs in that range, but personally I think we need a headless Mac for this space. All-in-one Macs most definitely have their market niche and serve their purpose, but I think many people would really appreciate having a consumer Mac with no monitor included. I want to be able to upgrade these pieces separately. If I shell out $700-800 for a nice LCD monitor, I want to keep using it till it's dead - but I'll almost surely want to upgrade my CPU before then.

My only guess is that Apple doesn't want to steal sales from itself. If there was a headless Mac in the $800-1200 price range, iMac sales would probably plummet.

That said, Apple did come out with the Cube. It was horribly overpriced, but maybe Apple learned its lesson on that.

One thing's for certain: something has to happen in this space and it has to happen soon. Inventories are drying up, right? The average iMac refresh rate has been exceeded. And sales are down. It may not be a G5, but iMacs will be updated somehow in the near future. Let's just hope it's not a speed bump.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2004, 07:29 AM

Originally posted by Zoom:
Well, there are TWO iMacs in that range
No, they're not in that range because they're hopelessly outdated and have about zero point zero value next to the updated eMacs. I can't see how Apple's supposed to sell an iMac instead of an eMac. Except maybe the 20" model, which is so expensive you're probably better off buying a PowerMac.

Without an update or serious price slashing the iMac is dead.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2004, 09:15 AM

Well, if an updated iMac appeared I would have likely bought one for work. It's no big deal that it didn't though since I can wait until the end of summer.

However, if an inexpensive new headless machine had appeared I would have bought two, since my home PC is sick and I want to replace it. I already have an excellent Samsung 172T LCD, and I don't want to get a new LCD for my desktop.

OK scratch that, I do WANT to get a new 23", but I don't want to spend the money on a new LCD for home (whether it'd be standalone or part of an iMac).

Therein lies the problem for Apple. That and the fact that a G4 1.25 is hopelessly outdated for the desktop space these days. Even a G4 1.5 isn't that great for this market.

And yes, if a nice headless consumer machine appeared, iMac sales would plummet. That does tell you something about the viability of the iMac design though. If it can't stand on its own two feet (one broad round foot? ) then maybe it's time to retire it.

Zoom
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2004, 09:40 AM

I'm really bummed. I was all set to decide between a G5 iMac and a PowerMac... now I have to decide between some unknown upgrade at some unknown point in the future and a PowerMac. I'm one of those people that would be pissed if I bought a PowerMac and one month later Apple came out with a new super-spiffy G5 iMac or headless consumer G5 Mac. Now I'm in limbo. I don't think I can feel good about buying a PowerMac not knowing what's right around the corner. *sigh* Guess I'll just have to wait.

( Last edited by Zoom; Jun 29, 2004 at 10:36 AM. )

austeros
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2004, 10:54 AM

you have to figure that they will be out before back to school, and were already getting dangerously close. pick some tuesday in the middle of july and i would bet mhz to ghz that we see somethign new

There's someone in my head but its not me...

Zoom
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2004, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by austeros:
you have to figure that they will be out before back to school, and were already getting dangerously close. pick some tuesday in the middle of july and i would bet mhz to ghz that we see somethign new
I agree. I was really surprised that there was no announcement on Monday. But I can definitely wait another month. I'll try to hang out a bit longer.

Now that Monday has come and gone, what's the take on the rumors we heard? Is it safe to say that G5 iMacs are imminent, but people assumed they would debut at WWDC and were wrong? I haven't seen any updates to the iMac update rumors since ... well, yesterday.

Grammar Police
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2004, 11:35 AM

I never expected iMac updates at WWDC. Expect a G4 speedbump before the end of the year and a G5 upgrade in the first half of 2005.
Dictionaries are your friends.

Zoom
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2004, 11:47 AM

This is the main rumor article that I recall seeing (which contains a link to a supporting article). Some keys quotes (my emphasis)...

During meetings with regional representatives last week, resellers were reportedly informed of supply constraints that will affect both the iMac and eMac product lines until approximately mid-July.
and...

Multiple reports indicate that Apple plans to introduce the new iMac G5 as early as Monday's World Wide Developers Conference (WWDC), where CEO Steve Jobs may choose to showcase the computer.
So, from this I would say that (a) a G5 iMac is imminent and (b) that it's likely to happen in mid-July.

There was also this report from a Merrill Lynch analyst expecting a G5 iMac. He was wrong about the date, but the reasoning still holds.
( Last edited by Zoom; Jun 29, 2004 at 11:54 AM. )

Ryan Becker
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2004, 12:49 PM

All I have to say:

I TOLD YA SO !!!!

-Ryan
800mhz 15" Flat Panel iMac G4, 32mb GeForce2MX, OS X (10.3), Maxtor 120gb & 250gb FireWire HDs, FireWire Zip 250, iSight

Ryan Becker
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2004, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by turtle777:
Let's hope that Ryan is not right with no G5 iMacs in 2004.
It wouldn't be the first time I'm right about these things...

I still say, no G5 iMac in 2004.

-Ryan
800mhz 15" Flat Panel iMac G4, 32mb GeForce2MX, OS X (10.3), Maxtor 120gb & 250gb FireWire HDs, FireWire Zip 250, iSight

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2004, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by Ryan Becker:
All I have to say:

I TOLD YA SO !!!!

-Ryan

It wouldn't be the first time I'm right about these things...

I still say, no G5 iMac in 2004.

-Ryan
And I still say you're full of crap.

BTW, are you gonna accuse me of stalking you again? I kinda missed that.

hldan
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2004, 12:58 PM

Well I have to admit that Apple shocked me a bit too about the missing iMac G5 but after all it was a "Developers COnference" and it's really about the software and pro machines for people to develop for.
Macworld is designed for new hardware and exciting new products. So we all should really understand that Apple didn't screw anyone or or deceive anyone or make us believe that there would be a new iMac. Gotta mention that the new displays are ultra cool!
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

PookJP
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2004, 01:20 PM

Let's all complain that our wishes didn't come true! Why, just yesterday I wished a pony would be waiting for me when I got up, and it's not! Damn you, parents!
It's the devil's way now.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2004, 01:21 PM

Originally posted by PookJP:
Let's all complain that our wishes didn't come true! Why, just yesterday I wished a pony would be waiting for me when I got up, and it's not! Damn you, parents!
No pony
Wrong forum

-t

Grammar Police
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2004, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by PookJP:
Why, just yesterday I wished a pony would be waiting for me when I got up, and it's not! Damn you, parents!
Dude, that sucks. I'm sorry.
Dictionaries are your friends.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2004, 02:53 PM

All I have to say:

I TOLD YA SO !!!!
And if you wouldn't have acted like such a dick maybe somebody would have believed you, ever thought of that?

Ryan Becker
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2004, 04:38 PM

And if you wouldn't have acted like such a dick maybe somebody would have believed you, ever thought of that?
I don't care if anyone believes me or not! Why should I!?

-Ryan

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2004, 04:51 PM

-Ryan
They why are you still here?

Zoom
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2004, 05:00 PM

Then what's the point in posting?

Ryan Becker
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2004, 06:02 PM

They why are you still here?
I came back to say I told ya so, just like I said I would...

-Ryan

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2004, 06:41 PM

I came back to say I told ya so, just like I said I would...
You just can't leave us alone can you?

Commodus
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2004, 08:24 PM

I'm not totally surprised by the lack of an iMac G5 at WWDC. There was definitely some evidence that suggested it (the timing of the memory promo, the low iMac stock, etc.), but we also heard the very reliable Think Secret say it wouldn't happen. That iMac shipping delays didn't change aside from the 15" model also suggested that a replacement wasn't coming just yet.

My inclination is to say that Apple will have an iMac G5 (or an equivalent computer) at Apple Expo Paris. It's an expo geared towards home users, and the timing is such that it's just shy of a year after when the iMac was last updated. Think Secret's "no iMacs at WWDC" article also suggested that they were just starting to build iMac G5s in June, so I could easily see the iMacs being available within the next couple of months with a relatively short shipping delay.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Zoom
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2004, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by Commodus:
My inclination is to say that Apple will have an iMac G5 (or an equivalent computer) at Apple Expo Paris.
That's Aug 31st! God, I hope it's not that far away. Did they update the iMac there last time?

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2004, 10:14 PM

I'm hoping for July myself. Aug. 31 seems far too late. But then again, June 28 seemed late too.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2004, 11:52 PM

I've been waiting like crazy for a new iMac. Now I have some hesitation.

The new stuff in Tiger, specifically CoreImage, has me thinking that maybe I should get a PowerMac with the ability to upgrade the video card. It almost seems to me that the video card will be the key upgrade in the future to extending your machine.

Anyone else thinking this way? I am a big fan of the current all in one design, know this will change and can't wait to see what Apple will come up with but am at a crossroad.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2004, 12:12 AM

Originally posted by kcmac:
I've been waiting like crazy for a new iMac. Now I have some hesitation.

The new stuff in Tiger, specifically CoreImage, has me thinking that maybe I should get a PowerMac with the ability to upgrade the video card. It almost seems to me that the video card will be the key upgrade in the future to extending your machine.

Anyone else thinking this way? I am a big fan of the current all in one design, know this will change and can't wait to see what Apple will come up with but am at a crossroad.
I'm thinking the low end iMac will get something like a GeForce FX 5200 Ultra, while the high end might get a Radeon 9600 Pro. That should be fine for Tiger.

The AIO design does limit things, but I'm not sure that the video card will be the biggest problem.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2004, 03:19 AM

AppleExpo Paris sounds reasonable, but it's very far out. iMac sales must have really become irrelevant if Apple can let it sit in the corner for such a long time. This is a rather bad joke.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2004, 09:54 AM

AppleExpo Paris sounds reasonable, but it's very far out. iMac sales must have really become irrelevant if Apple can let it sit in the corner for such a long time. This is a rather bad joke.
I like Zoom's mid July prediction.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2004, 09:57 AM

I like Zoom's mid July prediction.
Oh yeah.

So, what'll be inside that mid-July iMac?

noliv
Senior User
Jun 30, 2004, 10:05 AM

The website www.macbidouille.com (in french) noticed a funny thing:

During the keynote, S.Jobs had to type some random keywords to do the Spotlight demo...
He typed: "iMac", "Paris", "Birthday"...

Can we dream about a special "20 years" iMac introduced at AppleExpo?
-noliv

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2004, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by noliv:

During the keynote, S.Jobs had to type some random keywords to do the Spotlight demo...
That is indeed interesting.
It's kind a creepy though how Steve messes with our minds.
I don't like that... But I can't help it either...

-t

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2004, 10:10 AM

It gives me the creeps to think of the new iMac as being the "20 years" iMac - the TAM comes to mind: expensive, under-powered, but stylish. That proved to be a very bad combo.

Of course they could have learned from that experience and be ready to give us a 2.0GHz G5, 8xSD, 20" TFT (as an option, so it could also be used as a headless) with a 9600/128MB, etc. all for $2000.

Zoom
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 10:12 AM

Sure, as long as he's showing off the product that was released in mid-July.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2004, 10:18 AM

Dude, you can dream about whatever you want.

I'm dreaming about the G5 iCube, a headless iMac for under $ 1000.
*sigh*

But don't be disappointed when it doesn't turn into reality.

-t

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2004, 11:21 AM

The website www.macbidouille.com (in french) noticed a funny thing:

English article here.

VERY interesting. I just checked the stream (45:28) and indeed, his primary searches, done in succession, are "iMac", "Paris", and "birthday".

In fact, people on some forums had been making jokes about "Paris" because it was searched in the Address Book, and they were expecting Paris Hilton to pop up or something.

Zoom
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 11:40 AM

Interesting, but I don't buy it. It flies in the face of Steve's usual MO. Plus, using his own reasoning, why tell people that cool things are coming? That would kill current sales! It must be top secret! I'm not saying it won't play out exactly this way, but it would be a Freudian slip on Steve's part, not intentional. I can't see why he would do it intentionally.

What's the precedent for MW Paris? Has Apple ever released a new product there? I can't recall, but I thought they did at least once because I remember it was a shock. 'Course, I could be inventing memories, too.

I just think Aug 31 is too late for this, unless they speed-bump the current iMacs in mid-July and come out with a totally new product line at MW Paris. Or maybe this mysterious "8,1" product is a special, one-off anniversary machine. I could see how that could cause a lot of confusion in the rumor mill. We might not be getting a G5 iMac and yet still be getting a new G5 consumer model that people would assume would be an iMac.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2004, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by Zoom:
Interesting, but I don't buy it. It flies in the face of Steve's usual MO. Plus, using his own reasoning, why tell people that cool things are coming? That would kill current sales! It must be top secret! I'm not saying it won't play out exactly this way, but it would be a Freudian slip on Steve's part, not intentional. I can't see why he would do it intentionally.
No guarantees of course, but I can most definitely see him doing this intentionally. He's not officially telling us anything, but it increases the RDF and internet banter. Furthermore, I'm 100% sure he has his searches scripted long before the presentation, just so he's sure it looks good.

And while it gives a hint to something coming to the ultra geeks, it's not enought to significantly impact sales IMO. (The sales are already slowing anyway because those who can wait and who follow Mac stuff are already waiting.)

And why else would he bring up "iMac" in a presentation which has nothing to do with an iMac, especially when the lack of an iMac would be a big disappointment?

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2004, 12:31 PM

I had caught the iMac and Paris thing, but didn't know where birthday fit in. Now it's all making sense. I'm really pushing for some cool revamped iMac but I guess I gotta go throught the waiting game with the rest of ya.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2004, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:
I had caught the iMac and Paris thing, but didn't know where birthday fit in. Now it's all making sense. I'm really pushing for some cool revamped iMac but I guess I gotta go throught the waiting game with the rest of ya.
Yeah, the 20th Anniversary of the Mac is too big of a thing without releasing some sort of whiz-bang iMac or iMac replacement.

It HAS to be a new architecture, and I would guess a new form factor as well.

I also did read Think Secret's No iMac article with some interest (even though it was obnoxiously written and he's not infrequently wrong) because he specifically said this:

"Besides, Apple is just starting to build this product in Asia, we're told."

If they're building now, they could actually have stock of it in stores by the time Aug. 31 rolls around, or at least close to that time. ie. Shipping in September for sure, instead of this announce and wait thing that Apple often does.

Forum Links
Forum Rules