Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > .Mac - Get it Off!

.Mac - Get it Off!
tavilach
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 12:10 PM

Being the perfectionist that I am, it really piques me that ".Mac" is sitting there in iSync, even though I don't have .Mac. It's reminiscent of nag screens, IMHO..."You don't have a .Mac account. Please configure .Mac first." is quite comparable to "Register now for only $19.95!" I like to either <i>have</i> things or <i>not have</i> things...I don't like to be in between. Is there any way that I can remove it from iSync?
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2004, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by tavilach:
Being the perfectionist that I am, it really piques me that ".Mac" is sitting there in iSync, even though I don't have .Mac. It's reminiscent of nag screens, IMHO..."You don't have a .Mac account. Please configure .Mac first." is quite comparable to "Register now for only $19.95!" I like to either have things or not have things...I don't like to be in between. Is there any way that I can remove it from iSync?
I haven't tried this, but if you'd Ctrl-click the app, Show Package Contents, you may find the icon (.tif ?) and replace it by a .tif that's actually a part of the window background ?
.mac would still be there, but invisible . . .
As I said, a long shot

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by Gerrit Vanoppen:
I haven't tried this, but if you'd Ctrl-click the app, Show Package Contents, you may find the icon (.tif ?) and replace it by a .tif that's actually a part of the window background ?
.mac would still be there, but invisible . . .
As I said, a long shot
That's like using ducktape to cover a crack on a wall . Nice try, but I'm only interested in a "proper" one to do this, if one exist. Otherwise, I'll deal. Thanks, though.
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2004, 01:40 PM

That's like using ducktape to cover a crack on a wall . Nice try, but I'm only interested in a "proper" one to do this, if one exist. Otherwise, I'll deal. Thanks, though.
Of course you're right. Sorry for having suggested this would-be.
On the other hand, I'm in no way capable of cracking some code

manofsteel300
Sep 16, 2004, 02:30 PM

Is it a nag screen that your powerbook has extra ports on the side that aren't in use? You aren't using them because you dont feel like spending money on devices that use them, and/or you dont need them. Do you want to remove the ports because they aren't in use?

Apple has put in a feature(.mac synchronization) into software(isync) that they believe is useful. Just because you aren't using it now, doesn't mean that it should disappear.
DOS Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq, Tandy, and millions of others are by far the most popular, with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans, on the other hand, may note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans, and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -- New York Times, November 26, 1991

Truepop
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by manofsteel300:
Is it a nag screen that your powerbook has extra ports on the side that aren't in use? You aren't using them because you dont feel like spending money on devices that use them, and/or you dont need them. Do you want to remove the ports because they aren't in use?

Apple has put in a feature(.mac synchronization) into software(isync) that they believe is useful. Just because you aren't using it now, doesn't mean that it should disappear.
interesting perspective.

if you think of iSync being really for .mac but it also allows other things like phones and pdas and ipods. no one is making you use it. there are other software titles that will work. like palm desktop for the pda, there are tons of info managers for ipods, and Ericsson_Client if you use say a T68i or something.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 06:24 PM

Good point, but it still doesn't be to be right there. It should be a removable device, just like any other iSync device.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2004, 06:36 PM

WTF CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS ****? I DON'T USE AUTOFILL?!11

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 07:12 PM

It's a gimmick...placing it there, and making it unremovable, makes people feel like they're not experiencing the entire Mac experience. I don't think that's very cool...
( Last edited by tavilach; Sep 16, 2004 at 07:25 PM. )

The Oracle
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Mt. Ararat, chillin' with Noah in the Ark's broken hull.
Sep 16, 2004, 07:52 PM

unbelievable the crap people complain about.

All-seeing and all-knowing since 2000 B.C.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2004, 08:27 PM

Originally posted by The Oracle:
unbelievable the crap people complain about.
Did you hear about the crappy graphics card in the new G5 iMac?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2004, 08:30 PM

...makes people feel like they're not experiencing the entire Mac experience.
Maybe because you aren't...

Seriously, .Mac is integrated all throughout the iApps. It's in iCal. It's in iPhoto. It's in iMovie even. If you don't have .Mac you are missing out on the entire Mac experience. Either ignore it or get .Mac. You're going to get plugs for it in most Mac applications. And iSync is really meant to work directly with .Mac to keep all your computers in sync. iSync is really an application for .Mac, even though you can use it separate.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2004, 08:31 PM

I think it's a lot more annoying to have QuickTime nag you to buy QuickTime pro every few weeks. That's just stupid. If someone needs QT Pro, they'll buy it.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Truepop
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 10:01 PM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
I think it's a lot more annoying to have QuickTime nag you to buy QuickTime pro every few weeks. That's just stupid. If someone needs QT Pro, they'll buy it.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 10:17 PM

My other major concern!

Ah, yes...the perils of having no life.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by goMac:
Maybe because you aren't...

Seriously, .Mac is integrated all throughout the iApps. It's in iCal. It's in iPhoto. It's in iMovie even. If you don't have .Mac you are missing out on the entire Mac experience. Either ignore it or get .Mac. You're going to get plugs for it in most Mac applications. And iSync is really meant to work directly with .Mac to keep all your computers in sync. iSync is really an application for .Mac, even though you can use it separate.
Perhaps it's worth it, then. Hmm...

I don't need to sync two Mac's, though...is it still worth it? I have Norton AntiVirus (got it for free from the Berkeley website), but it's quite crappy. Is Virex any better? As for the .Mac email, I have a wonderful 100 MB Berkeley email, and online storage space. Still, a spare email wouldn't hurt, but do I sound like someone who shouldn't be using .Mac. I'm trying it out right now, and it seems quite cool to have stuff online like that (iCal etc.), but will I really use it?

By the way, something just caught my eye. In iSync, it's ".mac" in the device list, but ".Mac" when you configure it. It's ".Mac" in most other places. Why the lowercase, then? Normally I expect Apple, out of any company, to be on top of their capitalization consistancy...that's one of the reasons I love using iTunes Music Store to download my files...they're named properly and everything (as opposed to ripped CD's...the online databases have inherent flaws, capitalization errors, and sometimes miss a "The" or "a" in the beginning of a name.

</perfectionism>

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2004, 10:51 PM

Originally posted by AKcrab:
Did you hear about the crappy graphics card in the new G5 iMac?
Oh, come on. No one can deny the crappiness of a 64MB 5200FX.... Oh, never mind.

It's a gimmick...placing it there, and making it unremovable, makes people feel like they're not experiencing the entire Mac experience. I don't think that's very cool...
It's a function of the application. There's no reason for them to have an option to get rid of the button. You just never have to get rid of it. People don't throw fits because Photoshop has a web support button right there in the tool palette.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2004, 12:36 AM

True .. very intrusive and un-Apple like to nag w/o an option to "Stop nagging me, I don't want QT Pro"

Having said that ... QT Pro is probably as worthwhile a purchase as you'll ever make for $30.

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2004, 07:28 AM

Originally posted by Krusty:
Having said that ... QT Pro is probably as worthwhile a purchase as you'll ever make for $30.
Very true. One of the smartest upgrades/purchases I've ever made. I've been amazed at how often I've found myself needing to do simple trimming of sound and video clips. I've never understood why that couldn't be included for free with a Mac -- it's not that fancy of an app -- but since it's not I think it's still something handy to have around if you occasionally need to mess with multimedia files.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2004, 08:35 AM

Wait until Tiger comes out next year and iSync and Backup are replaced by .Mac Sync. Then you'll truly be ed.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

manofsteel300
Sep 17, 2004, 01:34 PM

The program is meant for their service. Just cause you use it for other tasks doesn't make its original purpose a gimmick. Give me a break.

The "mac experience" is whatever you make it. I consider the mac great because of the machine, the os, and all the great software available. I love watson, launchbar and adium, and they are part of what makes up my own personal mac experience. But they are not part of the operating system and are unique to me. iSync is NOT part of the operating system. The program is one of apple's applications that ship with the operating system. I remember that on some windows boxes, aol came preinstalled. Does that make aol part of the operating system? No. and if you're not happy with aol, you uninstalled it - if you dont like isync, get rid of it.

Perhaps it's worth it, then. Hmm...

I don't need to sync two Mac's, though...is it still worth it? I have Norton AntiVirus (got it for free from the Berkeley website), but it's quite crappy. Is Virex any better? As for the .Mac email, I have a wonderful 100 MB Berkeley email, and online storage space. Still, a spare email wouldn't hurt, but do I sound like someone who shouldn't be using .Mac. I'm trying it out right now, and it seems quite cool to have stuff online like that (iCal etc.), but will I really use it?

By the way, something just caught my eye. In iSync, it's ".mac" in the device list, but ".Mac" when you configure it. It's ".Mac" in most other places. Why the lowercase, then? Normally I expect Apple, out of any company, to be on top of their capitalization consistancy...that's one of the reasons I love using iTunes Music Store to download my files...they're named properly and everything (as opposed to ripped CD's...the online databases have inherent flaws, capitalization errors, and sometimes miss a "The" or "a" in the beginning of a name.
You dont seem like someone who needs .Mac. But if you feel like making a 100 dollar donation to apple in the name of perfectionism and the ability to use ALL of ilife's features, be my guest :-).
DOS Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq, Tandy, and millions of others are by far the most popular, with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans, on the other hand, may note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans, and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -- New York Times, November 26, 1991

naevity
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2004, 03:50 PM

True .. very intrusive and un-Apple like to nag w/o an option to "Stop nagging me, I don't want QT Pro"
There is simple way to make this message go away pretty much forever. If you just set your system clock ahead say, 50 years? and then open quick time, hit remind me later, close it and set your system clock back to now, its gone. Granted, it will come back in 50 years + later, but for all intents and purposes, you will never see it again.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2004, 10:49 PM

To me the .Mac issue is like playing Halo without an internet connection. Whether or not you have a connection, the multiplayer button will still be there. The lack of multiplayer doesn't make Halo a unenjoyable experience, but there's more to be gained with multiplayer. At the same time you don't see people looking for ways to get rid of the multiplayer button if they don't have internet...

Or maybe there are people and they can't get on the internet and post about it... hmm...
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2004, 07:43 AM

Being the perfectionist that I am, it really piques me that ".Mac" is sitting there in iSync, even though I don't have .Mac. It's reminiscent of nag screens, IMHO..."You don't have a .Mac account. Please configure .Mac first." is quite comparable to "Register now for only $19.95!" I like to either <i>have</i> things or <i>not have</i> things...I don't like to be in between. Is there any way that I can remove it from iSync?
If you were really a perfectionist, you wouldn't have left your incorrect <i> and </i> tags in. Now shut up and find something worthwhile to bitch about.

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2004, 08:25 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
If you were really a perfectionist, you wouldn't have left your incorrect <i> and </i> tags in. Now shut up and find something worthwhile to bitch about.
I was the other perfectionist that corrected that in my first quote

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2004, 04:02 AM

Being the pain in the ass that I am...
Fixed.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2004, 06:26 AM

Given the prices available for a lot of the services on .Mac, what you're really getting is $100.00 per year address book syncing and the occasional software discount. I just switched to fastmail.fm for my email and it's a $15 one-time payment. I didn't need the webspace and it's not a big deal to have my addresses synced between my webmail and address book. Last year, I renewed almost solely because of the Sim's for free and the hassle of changing emails but I haven't found a value in .Mac this year, so I'm dropping.

Really investigate. I don't think it's worth the money.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2004, 11:11 PM

Originally posted by UNTiMac:
Given the prices available for a lot of the services on .Mac, what you're really getting is $100.00 per year address book syncing and the occasional software discount. I just switched to fastmail.fm for my email and it's a $15 one-time payment. I didn't need the webspace and it's not a big deal to have my addresses synced between my webmail and address book. Last year, I renewed almost solely because of the Sim's for free and the hassle of changing emails but I haven't found a value in .Mac this year, so I'm dropping.

Really investigate. I don't think it's worth the money.
I think that it's less about the specifics of each service they provide, and more about the overall experience of having everything integrated.

brapper
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2004, 10:20 AM

you're missing his point.

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2004, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by MindFad:
WTF CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS ****? I DON'T USE AUTOFILL?!11
[img]*Image Clipped* http://mindfad.com/boards/wtfautofill.png[/img]

Hilarious.

Not quite the same situation, but I got a laugh regardless.
17" 2.33GHz C2D MacBook Pro / 320GB / 2GB

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 12:09 AM

My .Mac payment is coming up again, but I'll pay it, cause I'm apple's biatch, and I like to be able to post pictures in a nice little gallery in like 2 seconds, even though I'm a web dev, with more than enough hosting, email accounts, coding skillz, design skillz, bow-hunting skillz.

.Mac is part of the Mac, and its worth it to me. I used to use bookmark syncing. I don't so much anymore. Address book syncing seems cool, but I doubt I'll use that.

I use the iblog locally for a journal, and the iPhoto, plus the email. So I guess its worth it just for those things. When I get a dedicated machine for work, I'll use isync quite a bit. especially if Tiger will sync. prefs throughout the system, and .Mac makes it easy.

The other .Mac features I'd like to see is a Jabber gateway for managing, and chatting with other chat clients seamlessly, so I could do file sends through ichat, and have it actually work.

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 21, 2004, 12:27 AM

Originally posted by DeathMan:
The other .Mac features I'd like to see is a Jabber gateway for managing, and chatting with other chat clients seamlessly, so I could do file sends through ichat, and have it actually work.
Tiger's iChat AV is known to support Jabber.
17" 2.33GHz C2D MacBook Pro / 320GB / 2GB

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 12:31 AM

I really don't have any use whatsoever for .Mac. I really wish I could remove every mention of it from my OS. I am talking about the .Mac option in Sys Preferences, (Can be removed from Sys Preferences easily.) the iDisk menu under "Go" (I don't have an iDisk. I have no friends with one. Cuddling remove it already.) and I guess iSync as well.

.Mac Mail (Already have 3 addresses.)
HomePage (Have my own web site, and without PHP, it's useless.)
iDisk (As I said. I have HD space on the internet. My site.)
.Mac Address Book & .Mac Bookmarks (I'd much rather sync to my other Macs than some stupid internet site.)
iCards (iCards are almost useless unless it's a special occasion and even then, I wouldn't use them. I'd forget they were there.)

Backup (I can use Toast or the Finder and burn or copy to CD's and my HD. What good is this?)
Virex (Viruses? What's the point at this time? Maybe when I get an OS X Virus and it does something damaging, I'll sign up for .Mac, but no sooner. Bah.)

Member Benefits (Sounds nice, but what do you get? All I've ever heard about are free games. What's the point of games? I don't like computer games. I wanna play a game, I'll turn on my Xbox, or Cube, or Genesis, NES, Saturn, DreamCast, other Genesis or Nomad or PSX, Master System, N64 or SNES. As for other software, I never need to buy software. I have everything I need right now. All that's left are shareware utilities.)

The only way, aside from the above mentioned Virus thing, I would buy .Mac is if I could pay monthly. I can't afford EVER to pay $100 at a time. Maybe this year I could, but how do I know I'll have $100 to spare when the next payment rolls around? I can't know. I NEED MONTHLY PAYMENTS! I have no credit card mind you. It is Debit or nothing.

So until there's a monthly plan, Cuddle .Mac. Cuddle it to Heck.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2004, 03:35 AM

Boo freakin' hoo. No one is forcing you to use it. If you don't like it that much, hack it all out yourself, or just put up with it.

I can't speak for anyone else here, but this is one of the most inane threads I've ever read. Quit whining and go do something productive with your time.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 03:44 AM

Cuddle you too.

templetalker
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2004, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by Jasoco:
Cuddle you too.
I wonder if on his death bed someone will decide to enscribe a ".mac" (note the lowercase too!) icon on his tomb stone! Right ON BROTHERS!

Forum Links
Forum Rules