Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > slllloooowwww file sharing on home LAN

slllloooowwww file sharing on home LAN
luap82
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2006, 05:31 PM

We used to have 2 G4 towers plugged into a router and file sharing was easy as cake. Now we have 1 G4 tower in the router and a Mac Book on wireless and file sharing is super slow. I connect to the Mac Book and it takes like 30 seconds to open each folder on the Mac Book, make aliases of folders on the Mac Book. Why would this be happening? Everything else internet-related works fine on both computers.
UND KEINE EIER

luap82  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2006, 05:33 PM

oh yeah. And it takes 10 minutes to copy a 20MB file.
UND KEINE EIER

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 30, 2006, 06:45 PM

HOW do you have file sharing configured? Are you using "personal file sharing" from the Internet and Network tab of System Preferences, or are you doing something else? How are the wireless and wired networks connected? I have a thought about this, but I want your specifics before I blurt it out.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

luap82  (op)
Forum Regular
May 1, 2006, 09:38 PM

Here's what's going on:

MacBook: OS 10.4.6
Network control panel Network Status: "Airport is connected to the network (names our Motorola network.) You are connected to the internet via airport"
No IP address given here; you have to go to Show: Airport, wherein it gives the IP address.
Personal File Sharing, FTP Access, Printer sharing ON, all others OFF, Firewall OFF, Internet Sharing OFF
Appletalk is off

G4 Tower: OS 10.3.9
Network control panel Network Status: "Built-in Ethernet is currently active and has the IP address...connected to Internet via Built-in Ethernet"
Personal File Sharing, FTP Access, Printer sharing ON, all others OFF, Firewall OFF, Internet Sharing OFF
Appletalk is on

My networking knowledge is pretty cursory, so the above is whatever I thought might be pertinent. Thanks for your help!
UND KEINE EIER

ghporter
Administrator
May 2, 2006, 08:27 AM

I'm thinking that AppleTalk may be an issue here. Pure IP sharing is usually pretty fast; I did some sharing between my wife's iBook and my school Dell laptop yesterday, and it was extremely fast, even with both machines connected via wireless.

Also, when you look at the IP addresses of the two machines, do they match except for the last set of numbers?

Finally, can you give me some deetails on your "Motorola network?" The model you have and how it's configured would help a lot. It is possible that your sharing is being slowed down because (don't laugh) the files are going out to the Internet and then back to the other computer. I'd have to see how the network hardware was configured, and what IP addresses your computers have to be able to even guess whether or not that's happening.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules