Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Square edges?

Square edges?
Mpmcquinn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2001, 03:19 PM

Is there any way that I could change the edges of the screen on my iMac from rounded to square edges like on the PowerBook?

-mike

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 9, 2001, 04:40 AM

Not sure what you're talking about. You mean square corners? Or do you just need to adjust the "pincushion" geometry of your screen?
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

Mpmcquinn  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2001, 06:49 AM

I meant square corners.

Originally posted by tonton:
Not sure what you're talking about. You mean square corners? Or do you just need to adjust the "pincushion" geometry of your screen?

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 9, 2001, 07:06 AM

I never noticed it. I guess Apple changed the Platinum theme to have square corners on PowerBooks. Or maybe it's in the firmware. I use "Dimple" so I didn't notice it. Custom themes usually have square corners.

Just use one of the other themes, or use Kaleidoscope, and you can choose from a myriad of themes/schemes with square corners.
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

FozzieUK
Apr 9, 2001, 12:27 PM

I think he means the rounded edges of the screen which all macs have had. I missed them on my powerbook. (unless you have dead pixels in the corner)

I know the operating system is the key, but the rounded edges to the desktop have always signified a Mac. I have tried OS X on my powerbook and the rounded edges are back on the top menu.

I think you will gain about 3 pixels in each corner, why?

Start a campaign to preserve the rounded corners, just like Clarus the DogCow.

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 9, 2001, 03:29 PM

The rounded corners appear when you are using any CRt monitor. If you are using any mac that has a LCD display such as a new Studio Display or Powerbook then you are going to get the rounded corners.

The reasoning is this...back in the day, CRT had bad distortion at the edges and especially the corners. Rounding the corners was found as a way to mask this distortion. Some bad CRT monitors still show this more than others...but it is a trait of CRTs in general from the spreading of the beam of electrons in the CRT tube.

I believe if you tell your CRT equipped mac to use a Powerbook ColorSync profile you can get the square corners and vice versa...I think this is the way I did this once a while back.

niacin
Apr 10, 2001, 05:06 PM

i agree with tonton. If you're really hardup about getting those square corners at the expense of memory, get Kaleidoscope (it comes with a Platinum Theme). I think that will force the edges to become square.

iSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2001, 05:29 PM

aren't all monitors like this, with rounded corners, even televisions are as far as i can rememeber.

Forum Links
Forum Rules