Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 9.1 taking up 190MBs of RAM?!!

9.1 taking up 190MBs of RAM?!!
niacin
Apr 10, 2001, 05:03 PM

i was running 9.0.4 on my pismo 400, and decided to update it to 9.1 using the 70MB 9.1 update from apple.
After updating, everything works fine until the OS loads the Finder. It took 5 minutes before i could click anything in the finder. Then i realised that under About My Computer, that Mac OS was using up 190MBs of my 192MBs of memory!!
3 Reboots later, it became ok, taking up only 44MBs. However, one reboot later, it went back to 190MBs. There wasn't even enough memory to Shut Down the computer
I booted from my 9.0 CD, reinstalled 9.1, and it is now, as i am typing, taking up 170MBs of physical RAM.
I've tried tweaking Virtual Memory, but that doesn't change anything with VM on or off. I haven't changed any extensions or settings from 9.0.4 as well.
I really want to eventually upgrade to OS X. Can someone help me with the current problem??

Thank you!

iSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2001, 05:41 PM

in the first instance try deleting the "Memory" control panel preferences. You may then want to try a clean install of 9 nd then update to 9.1.

bottles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2001, 06:16 PM

Also, in the Memory control panel, try setting the Disk Cache to the "Custom Setting" instead of the default setting. I experienced a similar problem with the System using too much memory. Changing the Disk Cache to the Custom Setting (even when maintaining the same numbers as default) solved it. The default setting is just an estimate, no telling how much memory it's actually using. Keep in mind that any memory used by the Disk Cache (or the RAM Disk) is added to the System memory.

niacin  (op)
Apr 10, 2001, 08:01 PM

at a PC now
i clean installed OS 9.0.4 from my original CDs
then install 9.1 on top of that
same pblm

dumped memory preferences, rebooted, same problem

bottles, i'm gonna try your thing next.

does anyone think this has something to do with Firmware (i have 2.4.1 i think), or extension conflicts for that matter?

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2001, 09:28 PM

Try reformatting your hard drive (which would lock out back blocks on the drive which might be causing problems) and then reinstall everything... i know it is extreme, but sometimes it is best to start from scratch... amazingly, this often cures most problems and speeds up the system.
good luck
dave

raygol
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2001, 12:17 PM

I have the same problem.
I use iMac 500 with os 9.1 on 128 Mg Ram.
Two times already, since I use it , I had the system taking 130 Mg of Ram, and the only way was to force reboot.
Why Apple doesn't correct the problem

niacin  (op)
Apr 13, 2001, 10:19 AM

I couldn't wait!

I bought OS X, clean installed 9.1. everything works great

I'm running X NOW!!! it's awesome, but a tad slow on the Pismo/400 with 192 MBs of ram...

Agent69
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2001, 11:21 PM

It's kind of funny but I actually look at my MacOS X purchase as a MacOS 9 purchase with X thrown in for $30.00.

Agent69
Agent69

Cipher13
Apr 14, 2001, 09:30 AM

Originally posted by Agent69:
It's kind of funny but I actually look at my MacOS X purchase as a MacOS 9 purchase with X thrown in for $30.00.

Agent69
Now thats what I like to hear

------------------

enduser
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2001, 07:15 PM

You know, I once saw that problem with a bad font.

------------------
Get a new outlook on tech support at Gibsonhax0r.net
Get a new outlook on tech support at Gibsonhax0r.net

reader50
Administrator
Apr 22, 2001, 03:16 AM

Download the small freeware utility Memory Mapper. It lets you see how much memory is used by each application, each background application, and various system components. Get a feel for how much RAM each component normally uses. The next time your system hogs your RAM, open Memory Mapper (if you can) and see which component is responsible.

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2001, 08:18 PM

The oddest thing about these numbers is that I just installed 9.1 on a 6100/60 with a Newer G3 card, 72M of RAM, and it takes up less than 15M. The same system takes up about 35M on my G4 with 704M of RAM.

Cipher13
Apr 23, 2001, 11:47 AM

Is all dependent on the configuration. Amount of physical RAM, System specifics, etc.
But using 190 megs is just wrong - theres a problem there.
Make sure VM is on and at one meg above your physical amount.

------------------

Forum Links
Forum Rules