Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > What's your fav. desktop to disassemble?

What's your fav. desktop to disassemble?
houltmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2006, 04:05 PM

Perhaps I will follow this with your least favorite, but I was wondering what peoples favorites were?

I could add a poll, but it's more about why than which one. I hope it doesn't sound too odd.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2006, 04:07 PM

Power Mac G4 of any configuration.

houltmac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2006, 04:15 PM

Would that be because it's easy to access, not many screws, simple (untidy) cabling or something I haven't yet thought of. Perhaps it's just your favorite design?

iMacfan
Senior User
Oct 17, 2006, 05:01 PM

Expansion wise, it looks like the Mac Pro is better than any other.

houltmac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2006, 05:06 PM

Ease of take apart and expansion isn't everything though. I can probably change a logic board in a 12" iBook G4 quicker than any iMac purely because they are my favorite computer to take apart. I have no idea why that is. I have done so many of them and enjoy it, so I fly through them.

In terms of ease of first time take apart they are far from the easiest of the Macs. Similar to them is the 12" PowerBook G4, but I hate taking those apart; they seem like much more of a pain with small things like Bluetooth and the optical drive, that kind of thing.

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 17, 2006, 09:25 PM

Mac mini. My heart always races when I hear something pop. It's like holding a gun to your head and hearing something click, but then realizing it didn't go off. Fun! lol
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

GabrieL^
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2006, 10:23 PM

Cube

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2006, 11:35 PM

not a desktop, but the only machine I have ever fully taken apart was a wallstreet powerbook. Without much practice I feel like I can replace just about any part.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2006, 03:19 AM

The PM 7500/7600 were easy to take apart. The Macintosh IIci was really easy too, the IIsi was a bitch OTOH. The LC475 gave great overview of its guts when you took the lid off - it was easy to take it apart and you got done pretty fast.

The PM G4 was pretty good. Although it didn't really help that Apple rearranged the PCI slots / CPU during its lifespan.

The MP is easy as long as you don't want to dismantle the entire thing. If you do it can get kinda messy when you try to remove the CPU heat sinks.

I just read that the Xeon Xserve is going to be a godsend to take apart: InfoWorld: Apple's Xserve Xeon: Built to fall apart. Now if we could only order the beast already!

Forum Links
Forum Rules