Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > cheap / pre-owned macbook?

cheap / pre-owned macbook?
keppup
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2006, 02:17 AM

Im looking at making the switch from PC to Mac, but i dont want to invest £750 for one, does anyone know of any channels i should try? or any places that sell ex-demo, or any refurbished models.
my budget is around £450-500, any suggestions are helpful!

houltmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2006, 02:25 AM

That's going to be tough. �750 for a brand new notebook is a stonking price as it is and they are only a few months old. I doubt you will get any ex-demo until March/April time and very few people dislike the machines, so second hand won't be easy to find either. Keep an eye on eBay, forums like this (sometimes have them for sale near the bottom of the forum ) and so on.

Other than that, if you don't NEED a notebook, you could buy a Mac Mini. I think you are being a little over the top, trying to find a MacBook for �450 right now; I just don't think you will (unless it's stolen).

keppup  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2006, 01:17 PM

bump!

samsontan
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2006, 01:18 PM

2nd hand?.. ain't that cheap i guess

dreamsINdigital
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2006, 01:33 PM

You could buy one refurbished from Apple.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2006, 04:19 PM

I'm selling my PowerBook for about �450-�550 -- and that'd be a great, fast, first mac
http://forums.macnn.com/59/marketpla...-12-powerbook/
we don't have time to stop for gas

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 22, 2006, 04:41 PM

Shameless, Peter, shameless!

But why does kepup's "£" show as a £ while yours shows as "?450-?550"? I'm on a MBP running 10.4.8... I saw lots of "?" characters in posts while on my PC, but I expected it'd all be the same once I was running OS X.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2006, 05:38 PM

see here
we don't have time to stop for gas

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 22, 2006, 07:27 PM

I was aware of that bit of niceness, Peter, but how can a pound sterling sign get through one way and not another? That's what's bothering me-I posted through Quick Reply and MINE show up...

Anyway....

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

keppup  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2006, 01:13 PM

where can i get a refurb unit from?

(thanks for all the help )

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2006, 03:47 PM

I would check your local craigslist (if you have one). Either that, or check eBay. You might be able to pick up something without an AC adapter, etc. (probably stolen), or else one with some stupid problem. Otherwise, I'd put my money in a G4.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2006, 01:58 AM

You can get refurb units from Apple.com - hunt around, the link is there somewhere, but not right up front!

DmbShn41
Oct 27, 2006, 03:59 AM

keppup, go to apple.com, click on the store link at the top of the page, then scroll down near the bottom left hand side, in the menu going down, its below computers, ipods, accessories, servers, then you will see refurbished mac, refurbed ipod, sale, promo. click on refurb mac, then find the appropriate mac you are looking for. they should have a few there. all refurbs from apple are guaranteed with their warranty, and you can purchasse applecare for them, which is strongly recommended, considering the minor issues with MB at the time. at my last check you could get a 13 in 2ghz mac book white originally $1300 USD, refurbed price for $1100, which is pretty good considering apple goes thru all these models, complete updates, and any repairs to them, before they ship. i have heard of some hit and miss experiences with refurbs, but my 6 experiences with refurbs from apple have all been positive. most recently, i got a 30gb iPod, dead on arrival. got it on a friday, sent it back on monday, and by the following friday i had another 30gb ipod, plus a 1gb shuffle with armband and battery pack for my troubles. being as youre a UK bloke, the free shipping may not apply, but def check for it. hope this helps...

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Oct 27, 2006, 09:19 AM

My MacBook is a refurb and it's great. It is brand new except it didn't come in a pretty box...
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

Forum Links
Forum Rules