Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > What bookmarks are on your new iPhone homescreen?

What bookmarks are on your new iPhone homescreen?
kman42
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2008, 12:53 AM

With the latest update you can put bookmarks (or webclips) on your homescreen. How did you fill yours up? I've added the new google mobile page and google movies for my zip code, but that's it. Any must-have icons on your homescreen?

hokie17
Jan 17, 2008, 06:25 AM

ESPN Podcenter, iPhone Web Apps, and the Macworld Keynote.
Al MB 2.4GHz 2GB DDR3

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2008, 11:21 AM

Do the website favicons show on the home screen or just some generic web address picture?
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

greenG4
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 17, 2008, 12:52 PM

The iPhone automatically creats an icon from the bookmarked page showing the actual html rendering. Very slick.
<Witty comment here>
www.healthwebit.com

hokie17
Jan 17, 2008, 12:54 PM

I remember reading somewhere that webmasters can create an icon that will show up on the home screen instead of the HTML rendering, but it's not the same as a favicon.
Al MB 2.4GHz 2GB DDR3

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2008, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by greenG4 View Post
The iPhone automatically creats an icon from the bookmarked page showing the actual html rendering. Very slick.
Like Opera's Speed Dial? That is slick
( Last edited by Mac User #001; Jan 17, 2008 at 03:12 PM. )
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2008, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by hokie17 View Post
I remember reading somewhere that webmasters can create an icon that will show up on the home screen instead of the HTML rendering, but it's not the same as a favicon.
That sounds right. Google's main page makes a very nice icon when you make it an "button". While other sites I've tried takes the whole page and makes it an icon.

For me, I have Google, and my companies webmail page (since my company won't support iPhones, I have to check mail via the web). Very nice feature, I can see this coming in very handy.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2008, 02:07 PM

so far just iphone.fandango.com and iphone.bofa.com (bank of america's iphone website, very cool)

I also have the top webapps on there... if football season was still going strong, I'd put iphone.thescore.com on there, that was my favorite bookmark through football season while I was working and couldn't watch the games, but now it's kinda useless for me...

noliv
Senior User
Jan 17, 2008, 05:00 PM

I wondered if it was possible to chose a custom icon for a website that don't provide one and found a way to do it (it requires the use of a bookmarklet and you have to put your picture online… but it works)
You can find explanations and the bookmarklet here.
-noliv

Big-C
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2008, 05:40 PM

I have the iphone.vitalist.com link on my home page, and like others here, the Google page.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2008, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by noliv View Post
I wondered if it was possible to chose a custom icon for a website that don't provide one and found a way to do it (it requires the use of a bookmarklet and you have to put your picture online… but it works)
You can find explanations and the bookmarklet here.
Im some what lost on what to do...

badnewsblair
Senior User
Jan 17, 2008, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
so far just iphone.fandango.com and iphone.bofa.com (bank of america's iphone website, very cool)

I also have the top webapps on there... if football season was still going strong, I'd put iphone.thescore.com on there, that was my favorite bookmark through football season while I was working and couldn't watch the games, but now it's kinda useless for me...
Awesome suggestions! Thanks, I added both to my home screen. Why is Bank of America's web site always bringing their A-Game?
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

Angelo78
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2008, 10:18 AM

So far I have moviesapp.com as my only "new" favicon. More to come though... On the other hand I've rearranged the standard ones to my liking. I'm so happy we can do that now! My favorite move was putting SMS just to the right of the phone icon in the dock area. It just makes sense for me.

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2008, 11:54 AM

A bunch...

Just one on the first page of the home screen: a link to local Doppler weather radar. On the second page, I've got a half dozen Mac sites (MacNN, MacInTouch, PowerPage, CARS, Daring Fireball, Roughly Drafted), some financials sites (Forbes, Investors Hub [AAPL page], Wall St. Journal, Northern Trust), and some misc sites (craigslist, IMDB, Yallow Pages).

QS

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2008, 01:46 PM

Right now, just Google* (duh!) and an iPhone-formatted online blackjack game.

My best use for the feature so far was having Delta's flight status page for my parents' specific flight. Having one click access in the hours before an airport run was nice.
*I'd love to use Google for my primary everything, but it's so popular, I can't get anything even close to my name. I refuse to have an e-mail address with numbers, so I'm rockin' the nerdy/inelegant [email protected]
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Forum Links
Forum Rules