Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > A Friday Pismo

A Friday Pismo
StuStu
Feb 15, 2001, 04:48 PM

Hi all. I'm going crazy. My Pismo 500 has had the following things go wrong or replaced:

1) Dropping off feet. Replaced by Apple
2) Noisy and clicking hard drive. Replaced by Apple
3) Casing Cracked. imac.cranford.hounslow.sch.uk/stuart/crack.jpg . Replaced by Apple
4) Keyboard not working when retuurned from Apple repair center. Still waiting for replacement
5) Screen dead as of this evening. Now running from external monitor.

I LOVE my powerbook and treat it with more respect than ANYTHING I own, seeing as its the most expensive item I own. Even more than my classic car!!!!!!!!! I never abuse it or use it in any hazardous conditions. Its always carried in its padded carry bag and is cleaned regularly. (With a damp cloth only)

WHAT HAVE I DONE TO DESERVE THIS??????

I am asking Apple for a replacement. I don't think its too unreasonable. What do you people think?

Thanks for your insights into my knightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ryu
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 15, 2001, 06:49 PM

I think it is reasonable but I doubt they will do so... unfortunately. But if you do get it replaced, it will be terrific. Pismo is supposed to be one of the most problem-less machines out there... You must be damn unlucky... I am really sorry.

ekoelbel
Feb 15, 2001, 07:05 PM

I'm sorry to hear that. Knock on wood, but my Pismo's been a tank. So far, lost one of the rubber feet. Well, I still have it, it just fell off. Unsure how best to reattach it. And, oh yeah, screen marks from the keys. Couldn't care less about that.....

Had a few scares, like having it pinned in a subway door in my bag and falling off a car seat onto the floor when I hit the breaks once, but nothing damaged.

PaleoJim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2001, 07:45 PM

Wow! Must be bad luck. My Pismo 400 has taken a beating with no problems. It even fell 3+ feet out of my bag onto a thinnly carpeted floor and kept on going.

nigeljedi
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2001, 01:33 AM

Yeah, my Pismo has been running without a hitch for a while now. I did just purchase it in January, but still...
I had your kind of luck with virtually ALL of the Windows machines I owned (which is why I switched to Mac in the first place). It's funny how fate drives us to better pastures!
Sorry to hear about all of the problems. Apple is pretty tight on the replacement end. I had a problem with the first iMac I owned, and it was like pulling a crocodile's teeth with my bare hands to get them to replace it...BUT THEY DID. Don't give up if you really want it replaced. My suggestion: get your wife (or other equally important woman figure) on the phone...works like a charm! Thanks, dear!

niacin
Feb 17, 2001, 09:51 AM

When i first got my Pismo 400, the screen flickered like mad. After tyring to fix it, Apple Singapore finally replaced the machine for me. So it IS possible.. but tough. you have to make a big fuss and really pester them..

I've been happy every since, and haven't been facing any hardware problems to date. Good Luck!

Forum Links
Forum Rules