Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New MBP lags at wakeup

New MBP lags at wakeup
luap82
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2013, 02:06 PM

I got a new MPB 15 (non-retina) about a month ago, and when I open it up after a night's sleep, it gives me a lightened/whitened screen with a progress bar (looks a little like the volume indicator but bigger) that fills up in about 20 seconds, then it waits about 40 seconds more before recognizing the trackpad (or BT Magic Mouse) or keyboard. Is this normal? Seems a little strange.

(NB I don't put the machine to sleep, just shut the case. This only happens after a long "sleep," like overnight.)
UND KEINE EIER

P
Feb 7, 2013, 04:03 PM

Sounds like what you're seeing is wake from hibernate. It's nothing strange,just a way to save battery.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ibook_steve
Feb 7, 2013, 09:37 PM

Hibernate, by the way, saves the contents of RAM to disk so if the battery dies, you start back right where you were when you have power again, instead of having to reboot (which is why it takes a while to come out of hibernate: data has to be read from the disk into RAM). If you want true sleep, instead of hibernate, check out SmartSleep. It also allows you to automatically hibernate instead of sleep when the battery is low.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Ham Sandwich
Feb 7, 2013, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by luap82 View Post
Is this normal?
Yes... as others have pointed out, this is hibernate (the Windows equivalent, which is called SafeSleep in OS X).

Also see:

How to turn off slow sleep / hibernate mode on a MacBook Pro � The Warne Account

P
Feb 8, 2013, 08:20 AM

If you're interested in the details, see this Wikipedia link. S1 (Power-on standby) is the sleep we used to get back in the nineties. S2 I've never seen implemented. S3 (Suspend to RAM) is regular sleep, and S4 (Suspend to disk) is what you're seeing here. Windows calls that last state hibernate, and the term stuck.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules