Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Apple to debut CarPlay at Geneva Auto Show for iPhone in cars

Apple to debut CarPlay at Geneva Auto Show for iPhone in cars
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Mar 3, 2014, 04:52 AM

Apple has announced CarPlay, its automotive interface for iPhones running iOS 7 or later. "CarPlay" is the new official product name for its previously-announced 'iOS in the Car' initiative. Apple is touting CarPlay as a "smarter, safer and more fun way to use iPhone in the car." CarPlay will make its debut at the Geneva Auto Show this week, with debuts from Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo.

"CarPlay has been designed from the ground up to provide drivers with an incredible experience using their iPhone in the car," said Greg Joswiak, Apple's vice president of iPhone and iOS Product Marketing. "iPhone users always want their content at their fingertips, and CarPlay lets drivers use their iPhone in the car with minimized distraction. We have an amazing lineup of auto partners rolling out CarPlay, and we're thrilled it will make its debut this week in Geneva," he added.

A vehicle with CarPlay integrated into its entertainment system will let drivers control Siri to search for contacts, make calls, return missed calls or listen to voicemails. When incoming messages or notifications arrive, Siri responds to driver requests through voice commands, by reading messages and letting drivers dictate responses or simply make a call.

CarPlay adds Google Now-like context awareness to deliver driving directions more intuitively by working with Maps to anticipate destinations based on recent trips via contacts, emails or texts, and provides routing instructions, traffic conditions and ETA. Drivers can also tell Siri a desitination and receive spoken turn-by-turn directions, along with Maps, which will appear on the car's built-in display.

Apple CarPlay functionality will be available as an update to iOS 7 and works with Lightning-enabled iPhones, including iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c and iPhone 5, while the CarPlay interface will be available in select cars later in 2014. Manufacturers supporting CarPlay include BMW, Ford, General Motors, Honda, Hyundai, Jaguar, Land Rover, Kia, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Peugeot, Citroën, Subaru, Suzuki and Toyota.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Mar 4, 2014 at 02:30 AM. )

Jeff75
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2014, 08:33 AM

"...and works with Lightning-enabled iPhones..."

So that means I plug my iPhone into the dashboard and my iPhone does all the heavy lifting for the car? The car just displays what the iPhone gives it?
Sweet! That means my car's brains will get updated as often and as easily as my iPhone.
And the list of participating auto manufacturers is impressive for the initial release.
It looks like Apple beat the Android consortium to market with a product that's likely to be far better than what they will offer - if and when they ever do.
Well done, Apple!
MBP 17" Core i7 matte screen; iPad 16Gb 3G

climacs
Senior User
Mar 3, 2014, 10:27 AM

why the hell did Ford go with QNX to replace Microsoft's failed implementation of Sync? The only reason I can think of is that Ford wanted continuity with Sync rather than going to an entirely new system.

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 3, 2014, 01:03 PM

I bet Microsoft's new term is if to have SYNC working with iPhone, it will cost more. If to have SYNC working with WinPhone, it will cost nothing. Ford said sc**w you and they will use the other guy instead. Don't understand where QNX stands when CarPlay is available for Ford also.

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 3, 2014, 01:05 PM

Is CarPlay an add-on or a whole system?

Grendelmon
Senior User
Mar 5, 2014, 02:31 PM

Umm, guys: http://techland.time.com/2014/03/04/gasp-apple-carplay-software-runs-on-blackberrys-qnx-platform/

Forum Links
Forum Rules