Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Ink = Useful or Toy?

View Poll Results: How will you use Ink?
Poll Options:
I plan to never use it because it is too cumbersome 5 votes (11.11%)
I plan to never use it because I don't own a graphics tablet 16 votes (35.56%)
I plan to never use it because I'm not upgrading to OS X Jaguar 1 votes (2.22%)
I plan to use it occasionally 9 votes (20.00%)
I plan to use it regularly 9 votes (20.00%)
I plan to use it full time (no more keyboard!) 0 votes (0%)
Other (please explain) 5 votes (11.11%)
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll
Ink = Useful or Toy?
krove
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2002, 12:05 AM

Not having a graphics tablet, I was wondering how others out there plan to use this new feature.

Will you or have you started using it regularly? How is the responsiveness of Ink?

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

oVeRmInD911
Senior User
Aug 23, 2002, 12:15 AM

I got my Wacom tablet the same day they announced ink, so I think I'll use it pretty often. It sounds like fun, and whenever I go on my computer and type for a while, my penmanship is less readable (and that's something my handwriting can't afford). This might help with that.

Nathan Adams
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 23, 2002, 02:50 AM

i'll use it occasionally, when I need to write small bits of text - because it's always a bit of a pain to put my pen back in it's little stand, or try and type whilst having the pen in my hand.
for longer bits of text, i'll type it, since I type faster than I write, but for forms and urls and stuff like that - ink, here I come

on a side, does anyone know if ink works with other languages? I use both english and japanese in os x, and it would be cool if I could actually write in japanese characters and have it work - much faster than using the kotoeri keyboard

El Pre$idente
Banned
Aug 23, 2002, 03:08 AM

It's too cumbersome. Most people have never used it so the poll isn't worthwhile. Ink's punctuation, spelling and recognition are really not that good at all compared to the system used on the Pocket PCs.

noliv
Senior User
Aug 23, 2002, 04:22 AM

I use it like Nathan Adams.

But the thing I like most in Ink is NOT the handwriting recognition!!! It's the sketchpad which is usefull to send a 5-seconds-drawing with iChat or Mail.
-noliv

sambeau
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2002, 06:01 AM

What happened to reading joined up writing? I can only get ink to read single characters (badly). It puts capitals in the middle of words and liberally litters spaces randomly throughout everything I write.

Have I got it set-up wrong..

I was so looking forward to this!

krove  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2002, 01:36 PM

From the pictures on Apple's site about ink, joined writing should work.

I may get a used wacom tablet off of ebay just to try Ink out (I feel this urge to use every one of 10.2's features to the fullest).

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2002, 02:28 PM

Originally posted by noliv:
But the thing I like most in Ink is NOT the handwriting recognition!!! It's the sketchpad which is usefull to send a 5-seconds-drawing with iChat or Mail.
I'm going to encourage all of my clients who own mac to use iChat and InkWell If they need some graphics but am unable to explain in words, then they can make a simple sketch and send to me.

This is exactly what I have been dreaming

Oneota
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2002, 02:48 PM

I hooked up an ADB tablet through an iMate ADB-USB adapter...inkwell didn't work with it. Bummer!

I could use it as a pointing/clicking device, though. Just no ink.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Samanoske
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2002, 04:54 PM

What about using the Trackpads from Laptops as an InkWell device ?! Is it possible - right now ? - in the future ?! Doesn't make any sense !?
.- OS X aDDICTED -.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2002, 06:00 PM

It makes a complete mess of joined up handwriting, but it could be because I have an A6 tablet.

I used it on messenger, and none of my friends could work out what I was trying to say so I gave up

JLL
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2002, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by El Pre$idente:
It's too cumbersome. Most people have never used it so the poll isn't worthwhile. Ink's punctuation, spelling and recognition are really not that good at all compared to the system used on the Pocket PCs.
That's pure BS, but you probably won't believe me.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

krove  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2002, 12:12 AM

I never had the chance to use a Newton (well, maybe once like 10 years ago), so could someone set the record straight?

DaveGee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2002, 12:44 AM

Just my .02� but...

When have 'we' the public EVER been given a demo of Ink?

Well it was first shown to developers en mass at WWDC May 2002 along with other highlights of Jaguar (some features like minimize in place never even made the final cut). When it came to the MWNY preview (the PUBLICS 1st real look at Jaguar 'live on stage') Steve totally ignored Ink (okay a five word comment) at the keynote and even in the staged demos given by Apple Staff Ink only got a minor mention.

- Developers get a pretty extensive demo
- Users get a brief mention

Lets think about why...

Developers need to know what things an OS is able to do both now and in the future. Apple is usually pretty bad about that but they are working on it (I hope). Something as major as a future product who's main input would be a pen based requires developers to make sure they don't develop software that wouldn't function in that config.

Well IMHO showing off Ink to developers in a major way and then next to no mention at MWNY was a signal that Ink will not be JUST for wacomm tablet owners but instead for something 'new' Apple has in the oven.

Otherwise Apple would have given the same demo and offered up some re-branded graphics tablet and been done with it. The fact is they didn't...

Ink was ALOT of work to get going in Jag and the developers who attend WWDC would know that just by looking at it. They know it wasn't some simple re-compile of old 1990's newton code that took a day to merge into X.

Ink is GOING TO be used and Apple will have a product that will NEED IT.

What product? Sorry I truly have no idea but I do know Apple DIDN'T write it just for the handfull of wacomm graphics table owners that happen to run X.

Dave
( Last edited by DaveGee; Aug 25, 2002 at 12:52 AM. )

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2002, 02:25 AM

Originally posted by Nathan Adams:
on a side, does anyone know if ink works with other languages? I use both english and japanese in os x, and it would be cool if I could actually write in japanese characters and have it work - much faster than using the kotoeri keyboard
I'm interested in that functionality as well, but I don't believe it exists (yet?).

But I don't know what you're talking about with handwriting being faster than typing in Japanese. It's much faster to hit a couple keys than write out an entire kanji.

iamnid
Senior User
Aug 25, 2002, 03:44 AM

I chose other because:

A) I don't have a graphics tablet AND
B) Even if I did have a graphics tablet I wouldn't use it because there's no way I could ever hope to write as fast as I can type... I'm also doubtful about how accurate the recognition could possibly be.

El Pre$idente
Banned
Aug 25, 2002, 04:18 AM

Originally posted by JLL:

That's pure BS, but you probably won't believe me.
I used both. Did you? For how long? Five minutes? Then **** off.

The system used on the Pocket PC is brilliant. First of all, the Character Recogniser has three boxes for capitals, lower case and numbers. It also understands punctuation and auto-completes words by suggesting up to 4 possiblities. The Sharp Linux Zaurus PDA uses a derived system.

Second, there is a new block recogniser. I haven't used this one as I still have Pocket PC 2000 but have heard it is very neat.

Third, there is Transcriber which works exactly like Ink by allowing the user to write anywhere on screen. Just like Ink, the recognition is sketchy and punctuation support is very poor.

Conclusion, Ink is crap. Want me to prove it? OK, I'll write some stuff right now:

( non joined up writing)
this i S Ink reading My basic handwriting. S 0 far not SO good and this is simple non_ joined up writing. JL 4 I hope you are enjoying this!

(joined up writing)
Tw A .pnd wp w.Iuny . Not my pd at au .

(Translation of the last sentence: This is joined up writing. Not very good at all.)

El Pre$idente
Banned
Aug 25, 2002, 04:20 AM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:

I'm going to encourage all of my clients who own mac to use iChat and InkWell If they need some graphics but am unable to explain in words, then they can make a simple sketch and send to me.

This is exactly what I have been dreaming
Keep dreaming. Your clients will laugh when they use Ink.

OreoCookie
Aug 25, 2002, 04:55 AM

How well is the character recognition?

I am thinking about giving my dad a Wacom tablet and a Mac, just that he doesn't have to type (2 fingers-search-system, not quite effective).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

El Pre$idente
Banned
Aug 25, 2002, 05:01 AM

Originally posted by OreoCookie:
How well is the character recognition?

I am thinking about giving my dad a Wacom tablet and a Mac, just that he doesn't have to type (2 fingers-search-system, not quite effective).
Not useful. There's no spell check or auto-complete, poor punctuation support. Your dad would go mad correcting everything with the keyboard.

JLL
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2002, 09:21 AM

I used both. Did you? For how long? Five minutes? Then **** off.
Yes I've tried it for a long period of time - dumbass!!

Third, there is Transcriber which works exactly like Ink by allowing the user to write anywhere on screen. Just like Ink, the recognition is sketchy and punctuation support is very poor.
That's the point. Ink almost never gets anything wring with my writing.

Conclusion, Ink is crap. Want me to prove it? OK, I'll write some stuff right now:

( non joined up writing)
this i S Ink reading My basic handwriting. S 0 far not SO good and this is simple non_ joined up writing. JL 4 I hope you are enjoying this!
Conclusion: Your writing is crap!!
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Forum Links
Forum Rules