Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Jaguar: Internet Connection Sharing via Ethernet

Jaguar: Internet Connection Sharing via Ethernet
DBursey
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2002, 08:23 AM

Hi all,

I was reading of the new internet sharing ability of Jaguar in a review found at ZDNet. To wit, the following quote:

Jaguar includes a new Internet sharing feature that lets you turn your Mac into an Internet gateway, allowing other Macs and PCs on your local network to share a single Internet connection while remaining connected to each other. In the Sharing dialog under System Preferences, choose the Internet tab and check the box next to "Share the connection with other computers on built-in Ethernet."
Apparently this feature allows internet connection sharing with other Macs connected via ethernet. What confuses me is that broadband modems, such as those used for DSL and cable, connect to the mac via the same single ethernet port. If that port is already being used to connect the 1st mac to the DSL modem, how is that mac supposed to use the ethernet port to share the internet connection with another mac? I'm puzzled!

amonitzer
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2002, 08:30 AM

Originally posted by DBursey:
Apparently this feature allows internet connection sharing with other Macs connected via ethernet. What confuses me is that broadband modems, such as those used for DSL and cable, connect to the mac via the same single ethernet port. If that port is already being used to connect the 1st mac to the DSL modem, how is that mac supposed to use the ethernet port to share the internet connection with another mac? I'm puzzled!
Get a second network card, AirPort or connect to the Internet via Modem.

In case of PPTP/PPPoE, the real internet connection is a virtual PPP-line between the Mac and the DSL modem, and so it'll work too (note that Jaguar's PPTP-support is incompatible with Internet sharing for some strange reason).

MrOutline
Aug 30, 2002, 08:57 AM

how is that mac supposed to use the ethernet port to share the internet connection with another mac?
After 1278 posts you never ran into "ethernet hub"?!!
( Last edited by MrOutline; Aug 30, 2002 at 09:02 AM. )

DBursey  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2002, 09:22 AM

After 1278 posts you never ran into "ethernet hub"?!!
You know, I'm now on #1279 and the subject has never been raised. Perhaps I missed that particular episode!

Thanks for the responses. You'll excuse me if I seem a little slow today. Are you suggesting that I can connect my iMac DV/SE ethernet port to an ethernet hub device, then connect both the DSL modem and a second mac to said hub to share my DSL connection? Let's spell it out, shall we?

Also, might you have a link or links to relevant info on the subject?

Let's all strive to prevent my networking ignorance from continuing into higher post numbers.

MrOutline
Aug 30, 2002, 09:46 AM

Let's spell it out, shall we?
You pretty much just did!
That's all there is to it. You computer to hub, all other peripherals and computers to other ports in hub.
On my hub there is a special port for "uplink" which is where I attach my cable modem.

noliv
Senior User
Aug 30, 2002, 09:53 AM

Are you suggesting that I can connect my iMac DV/SE ethernet port to an ethernet hub device, then connect both the DSL modem and a second mac to said hub to share my DSL connection?
Yes (That's exactly what I have done at my home)

If you don't know anything about ethernet hubs:
the cables you must use to connect mac-to-mac and mac-to-modem are different to the cables you must use to connect hub-to-mac and hub-to-modem. (I don't know the names of the cables in English, in France we say "crossed cables" for mac-to-mac...)

There is a long thread about internet sharing into this forum:
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hlight=sharing
-noliv

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2002, 10:15 AM

OK, you have a DSL modem but not a router and the phone company thinks you have just one computer connected to the modem. You CAN use the connected Mac to share the DSL connection with your home network, even if your iMac has just one physical ethernet port. Here's how:

1. Open Network Preferences and authenticate.
2. Next to "Show:" choose "Network Port Configurations"
3. Double-Click on "Built-in Ethernet" and changes the name to "Connection to ISP"
4. Click on the "New" button
5. Name the new port configuration "Connection of Home Net" and for Port choose "Built-in Ethernet"
6. Click OK
7. Now next to "Show:" choose "Connection to ISP" and make sure it's still set up correctly
8. Go to the Sharing Preferences, Internet tab
9. Click "Start"
10. There is no step 10.

What you've done is create two logical ethernet ports on one physical interface. The port I called "Connection to ISP" connects to your DSL modem and the phone company thinks you have one machine there. The port I called "Connection to Home Network" is now a DHCP server for your other home machines, which should be set up as DHCP clients.

Of course you have to figure out how to wire the machines together, as others have suggested, using a hub or switch. Perhaps like this:

DSL Line
|
DSL Modem
|
Hub
|
iMac and other computers connect to hub

Chris

DBursey  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2002, 10:45 AM

Thanks very much to each of you for your various explanations. I'll do some more research into the ethernet hub.

One more question to take advantage of MacNNer's considerable intellectual generosity:

I assume there may be a limit on the length of the ethernet cables connecting the macs / peripherals. Does anyone know the specs / limits on this? I'd like to connect macs on different floors in my home, with an estimated distance of perhaps 10 to 15 meters (approx. 35 to 50 feet).

noliv
Senior User
Aug 30, 2002, 10:53 AM

I have a 15 meters ethernet cable. No problem.
-noliv

Cipher13
Aug 30, 2002, 12:17 PM

Thanks very much to each of you for your various explanations. I'll do some more research into the ethernet hub.

One more question to take advantage of MacNNer's considerable intellectual generosity:

I assume there may be a limit on the length of the ethernet cables connecting the macs / peripherals. Does anyone know the specs / limits on this? I'd like to connect macs on different floors in my home, with an estimated distance of perhaps 10 to 15 meters (approx. 35 to 50 feet).
Long time!

~100 meters theoretical max. The longest I've ever tried was 60 meters (~200 feet?).

What you need to do is this:

Get a switch (a switch is faster than a hub; if you're gonna be transferring files over this network, get a switch). Plug the modem into the switch. Plug the computers into the switch.

Once you enable one of them as the gateway, you can set the others as clients, and they will share the net through the gateway.

If you need help on setting it up, IM me

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2002, 12:34 PM

Is DSL handled differently than a cable modem? I have 2 Macs in my home. I have one cable modem. I plug both Macs and the cable modem into the hub (the cable modem is in the 'cascading' port). I tell both Macs to use DHCP, and bam! I both Macs are on the net. No routers or gateways or internet sharing. It just works.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2002, 12:57 PM

Your cable modem performs the functions of a router. Not all cable modems or DSL modems necessarily do.

That said, there is one additional reason you might prefer to have a computer perform the routing, even if your cable modem can do it--so you can have more control over your firewall.

Chris

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2002, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by chabig:
Your cable modem performs the functions of a router. Not all cable modems or DSL modems necessarily do.

That said, there is one additional reason you might prefer to have a computer perform the routing, even if your cable modem can do it--so you can have more control over your firewall.

Chris
Ahh..makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up. I've been using a cable modem for about 4 years now. Never used a DSL.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2002, 12:58 PM

Wow, so the reason transfering fils on my lil "network" is slow is cuz I'm using 2 small hubs? Not switchs?

-Owl

noliv
Senior User
Aug 30, 2002, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
Wow, so the reason transfering fils on my lil "network" is slow is cuz I'm using 2 small hubs? Not switchs?
I think that the difference between a hub and a switch is that a hub will use 10 Mbps for all ports if there is one mac/modem running at 10 Mb, but a switch will use 100 Mb when possible...
-noliv

rantweasel
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2002, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by noliv:

I think that the difference between a hub and a switch is that a hub will use 10 Mbps for all ports if there is one mac/modem running at 10 Mb, but a switch will use 100 Mb when possible...
For 10mbps switches & hubs:

The difference is that a hub repeats the same information back out each port - all of the ports are sharing the same 10mbps. With a switch, it listens to incoming traffic from each port and builds a MAC address table. When it receives a packet, it looks at the address that it is destined for, and only sends information out the appropriate port. Thus, each port on a switch gets it's own 10mbps. The effect is that a hub is very cheap - it needs no intelligence at all, but a switch is much more efficient, and can support a greater sum of traffic at the same advertised port speeds.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2002, 06:15 PM

Normal switches are cheaper, but router switches are more reliable and easier to configure. I highly recommend the Asante FriendlyNet.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 30, 2002, 10:48 PM

Hey, all. I've got a related question for you all.

I have a little network set up. I have a G4 desktop with an extra ethernet card + airport card and 10.2 running as a router. I'm running a slightly different natd command than 10.2 to support a mail server I'm running:

natd -alias_address (my ip address) -use_sockets -redirect_port tcp (local mail server address):25 25 -redirect_port tcp (local mail server address):110 110 -same_ports -unregistered_only

I've also ran it without -same_ports and -unregistered_only.

The problem I'm having is that about 10-20% of the connections from the airport-equipped machine I'm running through the machine are getting dropped.

I haven't been able to check machines on the ethernet yet. The only machine on that network is a headless linux box.

I had no problems when I was running the routing machine on 9.2/IPNetRouter.

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 30, 2002, 11:11 PM

A little more information -

My network looks like this:

DSL
|
|
V
Router ---> Internal Ethernet
|
|
V
Airport

I just ssh'ed into the linux box and spent some time telneting to the pop3 port on several mail servers I have accounts on. The linux box seem to have the same kind of connectivity problems the airport machine has.

Forum Links
Forum Rules