Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Aqua : what colors would you see ?

Aqua : what colors would you see ?
Stephane
Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2002, 10:03 AM

Personnally, I don't feel like enabling skin customisation of the Aqua GUI would be a good thing : it could easily break the Interface cohesion.
Use of sharewares / hacks are better for this purpose because it is available only to those who really want to customize the Mac GUI.

But different Aqua colors should be available on a system wide basis : the GUI will keep its very identifiable look but every one could set up the colors of widgets/bars/buttons.

For example, when I work under certain conditions, I am glad to avoid the eye catching Aqua blue in favor of graphite but I would be equally glad to be able to choose other tints/saturations.

What colors would you think could look good in Aqua and should be implemented in next OS X releases ?
St�phane

noliv
Senior User
Sep 6, 2002, 11:23 AM

Orange!!
-noliv

kovacs
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2002, 12:12 PM

I would like to be able to set the colors for each app individually. For example I would like to use the graphite "theme" for Photoshop and Illustrator and the aqua theme for the finder and all the other apps. My sister however would like a completely purple theme.

Stephane  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2002, 05:51 PM

I think a dark hue of Indigo Blue would look soft to my eyes and mix seriousness with fun color !
St�phane

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2002, 05:58 PM

I'd liek to see more to. 1 for every color mac they made. but come on, they can barly handel 2, graphite is sooooo porly supported. if they could do it right, more colors would rock, but till then stick with just the 2, or make a theme yerself. its nto that hard to just change the hue and saturation of any blue pxms u see in theme shop. and there are several coored aqua themes out there, they just need to be ported to 10.2. search these forums u can find em, they where on a jap. site if i member correctly, good hunting. - LQX

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2002, 06:25 PM

I think they should add all of the basic colors. Then give the users the ability to actually choose whatever colors they want for their widgets. Purple close box, black minimize, and pink expand -- the endless possibilities of fruity widgets. Maybe even be able to choose button colors, too. Just an idea -- I can live with Aqua and Graphite for now.

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2002, 06:29 PM

Another vote for Indigo

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2002, 07:18 PM

LOL! I was coming in here to say Orange too.

Actually, I'd like to see a HUE selector or the ability to choose any color from the color picker and have it become the Aqua color. I mean, it's not really impossible. All it takes is slight changes to the Extras.rsrc (Or wherever the theme is kept now) and they could build the ability to change a color and variations to any other color. (Like PhotoShop can do) I will suggest it to Apple, but we'd need more prople to do it too. I'd absolutely keep Aqua on my computer if I could do that. I mean, if they can make iChat have bubbles trhat can become any color of the spectrum, the rest of Aqua can do it too.

If that's not an option, I'd at least like Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, and Violet as well as Blue. I'd also like a Black and White option with the Graphite one. I think blackened glassy buttons would be neat looking. I used to have a Ruby iMac and was REALLY hoping that 10.1 would include a red theme for me. When it didn't, I was sad. Well, now I have a new iMac so it's not important, but I'd like to change my color. OS 8 and 9 had the ability to choose from a plethora of colors. OS X gives you 2.. WTF?
( Last edited by Jasoco; Sep 6, 2002 at 07:24 PM. )

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2002, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by Liquidity X:
I'd liek to see more to.
I LIEK MILK!!!

Sorry, I had to do it.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 7, 2002, 03:06 AM

It would be a east thing for anyone that has a graphics app that control the hue.

Just open up said pics from a theme editor, adjust the hue, copy, paste back into the Extras.rsrc.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2002, 03:58 AM

Yeah, I know. I've seen some themes where people did just that. But I'd rather have the ability to choose any color on a whim.

Ooh! How about a "Random Color at Startup" option. Hehehe..

Or download the new "Mood Detector" plugin from Apple.com and have the color change depending on how you feel at the time.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2002, 05:00 AM

Yes, then you could have a "Pinot" red-wine theme.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules