Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Webcore, KHTML & Safari - Please explain...

Webcore, KHTML & Safari - Please explain...
DeepDish
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2003, 06:25 PM

Could someone please explain to me in plain language why some people are so excited about Apple's use of WebCore in conjunction with KHTML in Safari and how all of Apple's future apps and revisions will benefit from WebCore?

I am very confused.

Thank you,

DD

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2003, 06:35 PM

First, clarify.

WebCore is the Apple version of the KHTML engine. WebCore is a framework, so it can be used by any number of applications besides Safari, such as Sherlock, Help Viewer, Mail, etc when they are updated.

Also, WebCore is Open Source, so any developer can build their applications using the engine, and get the benefits.

I hope it is clearer now

smeger
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2003, 06:36 PM

I'm not totally clear on this either, so I may make mistakes, but as I understand it,
WebCore is a Macintosh framework that implements KHTML in a way that's accessible to any application.

So, any developer can include a web browser (or html view, or javascript, or whatever) in their app simply by calling a standardized system library, whereas before, they needed to implement the web browser (or view) themselves.

It means that you'll be seeing more web-enabled apps and that they'll all be uniform in their standards compliance.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2003, 06:39 PM

Originally posted by smeger:
I'm not totally clear on this either, so I may make mistakes, but as I understand it,
WebCore is a Macintosh framework that implements KHTML in a way that's accessible to any application.

So, any developer can include a web browser (or html view, or javascript, or whatever) in their app simply by calling a standardized system library, whereas before, they needed to implement the web browser (or view) themselves.

It means that you'll be seeing more web-enabled apps and that they'll all be uniform in their standards compliance.
Isn't this almost the same as having IE part of Windows? I might be misreading the info, but it seems that Apple is moving that way...

DeepDish  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2003, 06:50 PM

edited, never mind, stupid question.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2003, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by KaptainKaya:
Isn't this almost the same as having IE part of Windows? I might be misreading the info, but it seems that Apple is moving that way...
A HTML rendering library has been part of Mac OS since 8.6 (in fact in Mac OS X there are two of them and both are crap). It's good that we'll finally get a decent one.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

cwasko
Senior User
Jan 15, 2003, 07:17 PM

Good god NO!

WebCore is a *library* for developers to use. It is not integrated into the very grain of the operating system like MSIE on WinBlows. Although, becasue it is a library, it could be integrated if Apple so choose. I have a very hard time believing that Apple would follow that route and I would be thoroughly disappointed if they did. But, just remember, the existence of WebCore does not imply, and nor shoult it, that we are all of the sudden going to have the Finder look and feel like a web browser.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2003, 07:20 PM

OK, quick explanation...

KHTML is an HTML rendering engine, like Gecko is. It is made by the same development team that makes the KDE desktop environment for Linux.

WebCore is Apple's HTML rendering framework. While Apple has made some changes to KHTML, WebCore itself is basically an Objective-C wrapper around KHTML, so that it can be used in Cocoa apps. There's another side to WebCore known as KWQ (pronounced "quack"). This is basically a translation layer between the KDE calls used by KHTML and OSX's own native widgets.

Safari is an interface Apple has created which wraps around WebCore. That creates the browser we all know and love.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2003, 07:24 PM

Oh good. But still, just the thought of having a Safari Finder scares the hell out of me.

Moose
Senior User
Jan 15, 2003, 08:32 PM

Originally posted by cwasko:
Good god NO!

WebCore is a *library* for developers to use. It is not integrated into the very grain of the operating system like MSIE on WinBlows. Although, becasue it is a library, it could be integrated if Apple so choose. I have a very hard time believing that Apple would follow that route and I would be thoroughly disappointed if they did. But, just remember, the existence of WebCore does not imply, and nor shoult it, that we are all of the sudden going to have the Finder look and feel like a web browser.
IE isn't integrated into Windows any more than WebCore is integrated into Mac OS X. It just so happens that explorer.exe (the Windows "shell") is one of the applications that makes use of the IE COM+ object.

It's also important to note that Windows (WinXP especially) is a lot better about showing metadata in the file browser than Mac OS X is. COM+ helps out greatly with those sorts of things. I realize that Apple has finite resources and that this is probably on the list, but it just needed to be demonstrated as a very clever use of component objects.

BuonRotto
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2003, 09:08 PM

Oh good. But still, just the thought of having a Safari Finder scares the hell out of me.
We are not talking about a Safari Finder. This has nothing to do with turning the Finder into a browser. WebCore is just like Rendezvous, Address Book, Image Capture, the Cocoa color panel or the Cocoa fonts panel. Those are all frameworks and do nothing by themselves. Applications have to (obviously) apply the frameworks. Frameworks are toolboxes, no more, no less. Applications pull out whatever tools they want and put them to use.

You have to stop thinking that integration means turning everything into a browser ala Microsoft. It's just a library, and it's not changing how we find and organize our files. WebCore will not break or hijack other apps and files, it will not always be "on" and in RAM, it will not hook into the kernel and leave security gaps, and it will not be exclusively Apple's to use.

[edit]

I'll take Moose for his word since he already sounds like he knows more than me. Just makes you wonder why MS claimed it couldn't be removed from the OS in their antitrust trial a few years ago. It explains why Avie Tevanian said it could. I guess it's all in the philosophy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules