Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > conservatives and the arts

conservatives and the arts
ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2009, 07:12 PM

question for the conservatives...

do you care at all about the arts? meaning music, museums, plays, etc

to me music is VERY important to me as it's the soundtrack of my life... i have a collection of over 300 albums...

and the visual arts is my life's passion...

in my experience, conservative friends have little or no interest in it... they think it's a waste of time because you can't make money from it.

so is this just some of my friends or is it a general conservative world view?

if you do like the arts, what music, art, etc what do you like?

thanks

Railroader
Banned
Apr 14, 2009, 07:27 PM

Most people would consider me conservative, so I'll bite.

I have owned thousands of music albums in my life. I worked at a record store for a few years. I have also worked at an art dealer.

Personally, my current artistic outlet is photography. But I have also done watercolors, sculpture, and oil painting. I consider wood working, which I also do, an art form.

My wife and I have taken vacations into towns and neighborhoods that were artist driven.

We attend the theater, galleries, and other artistic events. We have books about artists on our coffee tables and book shelves.

I have a large number of friends who are conservatives who either work as designers or as photographers. No more or less than people I know who consider themselves liberal.

I guess your life experience is pretty limited if you have not met many conservatives friends who have no, or little, interest in the arts.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2009, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by ironknee View Post
in my experience, conservative friends have little or no interest in it... they think it's a waste of time because you can't make money from it.
That's sad.

Especially since there can be money made from arts

-t

ironknee  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2009, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Most people would consider me conservative, so I'll bite.

I have owned thousands of music albums in my life. I worked at a record store for a few years. I have also worked at an art dealer.

Personally, my current artistic outlet is photography. But I have also done watercolors, sculpture, and oil painting. I consider wood working, which I also do, an art form.

My wife and I have taken vacations into towns and neighborhoods that were artist driven.

We attend the theater, galleries, and other artistic events. We have books about artists on our coffee tables and book shelves.

I have a large number of friends who are conservatives who either work as designers or as photographers. No more or less than people I know who consider themselves liberal.

I guess your life experience is pretty limited if you have not met many conservatives friends who have no, or little, interest in the arts.
cool

what music do you love and what type of art/artist do you like

yeah, strange... most creative people i know are as--if not-- more liberal than i. but i am in nyc and that may be a factor

and the conservatives are mostly into business, sports, cars... also they don't care much about music...that is they can take or leave it and the idea of buying records/cd/itunes is strange to them... the idea is, radio is free so why buy it... seriously!

anyways can i call you a friend so i can say i know a conservative who does love the arts?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2009, 08:41 PM

I think you're doing some major stereotyping here. Not everyone fits into your little preconceived molds.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Railroader
Banned
Apr 14, 2009, 09:07 PM

cool

what music do you love and what type of art/artist do you like
I like most types of music, I tend toward folksy rock. In my iTunes library I have everything from The Weepers [alt blue grass], Vienna Choir Boys, Counting Crows, Jennifer Knapp, Johnny Cash, Ice Cube ... even a Charlotte Church CD or two.

My visual artistry is more specific, I like realism and complexity. As for "famous" painters, I love Rembrandt, Da Vinci. I mostly tend to support local artists to the area I am living in. Currently I am in Indianapolis and am pretty impressed that there's more of an art scene than I expected.

yeah, strange... most creative people i know are as--if not-- more liberal than i. but i am in nyc and that may be a factor

and the conservatives are mostly into business, sports, cars... also they don't care much about music...that is they can take or leave it and the idea of buying records/cd/itunes is strange to them... the idea is, radio is free so why buy it... seriously!
Here's my stereo-typing: Conservatives tend to be the people I know who buy their music, whereas liberal people I know tend to have more pirated music files. This is just my experience and I do not expect it to meet the national trends.

anyways can i call you a friend so i can say i know a conservative who does love the arts?
Sure. Hello friend.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2009, 09:18 PM

I find it weird that your conservative friends only care about making money. They sound like asswipes.

Being a conservative does not mean being greedy or money-obsessed.

My mom is a huge supporter of the arts and works for a symphony orchestra. I'm also a big supporter of the arts - music., performance, fine art, etc. I don't really like "modern" art, since most of it is just crap that has no meaning or general appeal whatsoever.

i think it's just the particular people you hang out with, personally.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

finboy
Apr 14, 2009, 09:42 PM

I used to play music 4-5 nights a week, every week, for almost 15 years. In that time, nearly every musician I met was a conservative in the core of their life. Some of them may have used recreational drugs, or smoked (most), but core values such as hard work, family first, and the value of full discourse were the norm. Many of them had advanced degrees and varied other artistic interests, and more than a few had "day jobs" in a suit and tie. Some were successful entrepreneurs or retirees. But nearly all of them had a deep respect for individual rights and responsibility. They worked hard so they would have time to enjoy music and the arts in their spare time. The concept of "self-actualization" comes to mind when I think of these guys.

Edit: Also, the musicians I've known, as a group, spend a great deal of time taking the arts to others. Concerts at hospitals, schools, running clinics for high schoolers, etc. They're all about giving back & sharing & mentoring. The reason they can do that is because they have "conservative" day jobs or did have before they retired.

Personally, I can't live without my iPod. I have music playing every waking hour of the day if possible. Most of my "conservative" friends are the same, and they work very hard to support artists that they feel reflect their values. Music is the soundtrack of OUR lives too, and it means more (to me at least) because of the time I've spent identifying with it (the opporunity cost).

I don't see a dichotomy between being conservative and being in tune with the arts. Generally, serious understanding of music or art or literature requires some investment. If your "conservative" friends aren't artsy, it may be a function of where they are right now in their lives. Or it may be that you need to get out more.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2009, 10:38 PM

I guess I'm mostly glad that I don't have to lump my friends into groups like "liberal" or "conservative."
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 15, 2009, 12:27 AM

Right now, I have >20,000 albums (LPs, CDs, SACDs, etc.). I buy just about anything, except pop country/rock.

Also, we give sizable donations to the local opera company and symphony. We're season ticket holders to both.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 15, 2009, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
I guess I'm mostly glad that I don't have to lump my friends into groups like "liberal" or "conservative."
No kidding. Most of my friends think I'm rather liberal, but it isn't something we usually talk about.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2009, 06:32 AM

I have a home recording studio for writing, playing, collaborating with others, mixing, and mastering our recorded music. My environment feels stale and I haven't done anything meaningful musically in probably about 1 full year, but I intend to change that.

My wife and I have gone to the symphony, the playhouse, numerous concerts as various acts come through town, and my wife and I have a music collection that'd make most radio stations blush. I like anything from Nickel Creek to Nickelback.

I appreciate functional art or visual arts such as nice pottery or even fine food prepared artfully (culinary). Crazy enough, it's why I appreciate Apple hardware.
ebuddy

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2009, 10:53 AM

The ONLY thing I have a problem with in the arts is the fact that an artist can get a grant from the government to make their artwork, then sell it for additional money to a private collector (Therefore, ensuring it will not be seen by the public), and not give a cent of it back to the government that helped the artist produce it.

Just seems kinda wrong that something created on the government's dime is not automatically public domain.

andi*pandi
Apr 15, 2009, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
The Weepers [alt blue grass]
Hmm, interesting stuff! itunes only has one album, which is your favorite?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2009, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
I used to play music 4-5 nights a week, every week, for almost 15 years. In that time, nearly every musician I met was a conservative in the core of their life. Some of them may have used recreational drugs, or smoked (most), but core values such as hard work, family first, and the value of full discourse were the norm. Many of them had advanced degrees and varied other artistic interests, and more than a few had "day jobs" in a suit and tie. Some were successful entrepreneurs or retirees. But nearly all of them had a deep respect for individual rights and responsibility. They worked hard so they would have time to enjoy music and the arts in their spare time. The concept of "self-actualization" comes to mind when I think of these guys.
Now you are doing it too. Working hard, families, and valuing discourse are not in contrast to liberalism. Same goes for individual rights and responsibility. Give me a break.

finboy
Apr 15, 2009, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Now you are doing it too. Working hard, families, and valuing discourse are not in contrast to liberalism. Same goes for individual rights and responsibility. Give me a break.
Sorry if it sounded that way. I was just describing the values of the musicians I'd known in my life. Most of them were fairly conservative in their own lives, even though they may have worn their hair long and voted for Democrats and smoked a little wacky weed now and then.

I understand your frustration, I think. I have trouble with the general implication made here and elsewhere that conservatives only listen to music on Sundays in a pew and only patronize the arts when their kid is onstage -- that's been around for years, before the Intarweb, nothing new.

Final note: When I was growing up, the Democrats WERE the conservatives, and Republicans certainly didn't tell anyone that they felt that way.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 15, 2009, 12:28 PM

Three things...

1) Fine art as we know it today wouldn't exist if it wasn't for centuries of support from wealthy patrons, the majority of whom would probably map to conservatism in the current political landscape.

2) Creative types tend to gravitate towards Macs, so a Mac forum is going to have a higher concentration of creative types, regardless of political affiliation.

3) I'm conservative, and I'm a visual artist.

ironknee  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2009, 12:57 PM

one this for sure, we are all mac users and that's a good thing

i am glad to read all the people who love the arts. i am not making stereotypes, this thread is based on my experience with conservative friends... not all conservatives are like this but there are those who think like this... btw they are all windows users and bash macs as hippie computers

carry on

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2009, 12:35 AM

Is it any surprise that current art, whose patrons are overwhelmingly liberal and whose creators are likewise liberal, is detested by conservatives? Conservatives simply have better things to do (like working to pay off your mortgage) than to spend their time contemplating a mannequin sitting on a toilet or a photo of a woman glued to a wall with flowers coming out of her hair.

Good art died a while ago, and this undoubtedly has something to do with conservative's decline in interest in it.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Apr 16, 2009, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
Good art died a while ago, and this undoubtedly has something to do with conservative's decline in interest in it.
The only problem I've ever known conservatives to have for art is when their tax dollars are being used to help fund BS like "piss Christ". Other than this, I've known no difference between a liberals' and conservatives' appreciation for the arts.
ebuddy

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2009, 07:32 AM

to me music is VERY important to me as it's the soundtrack of my life... i have a collection of over 300 albums...
Well, I don't think it's Hillary or Nancy buying all those Ted Nugent albums.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2009, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
The only problem I've ever known conservatives to have for art is when their tax dollars are being used to help fund BS like "piss Christ". Other than this, I've known no difference between a liberals' and conservatives' appreciation for the arts.
I've found that conservatives tend to appreciate the finer arts - the pieces which you can tell there's a lot of talent and work gone into. Old masters, etc..

Whereas libs tend to have a higher tolerance for BS art - the stuff which hasn't required any talent or effort other than coming up with a politically/socially subversive or suitably BS name for the piece. You know, like placing a lump of dog poop on a TV remote and calling it "BBC".

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2009, 01:31 PM

Guh...

This board is unbelievable.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2009, 01:36 PM

What point is there in trying to distill millions upon millions of people down to simplistic little generalizations you could teach to a toddler?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2009, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
What point is there in trying to distill millions upon millions of people down to simplistic little generalizations you could teach to a toddler?
Contrary to popular belief, you are not a unique little snowflake. People tend to cluster into preference groups - you try finding vegetarian chicks who aren't into environmentalism, for example.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2009, 02:03 PM

Surprise: modern day conservatives tend to like old stuff ("what's the insurance value on that?"), and modern day liberals tend to have a higher tolerance for new stuff ("how can I incorporate this into my MFA thesis on the relationship between potato art and the dead political process?").

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

ironknee  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2009, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
I've found that conservatives tend to appreciate the finer arts - the pieces which you can tell there's a lot of talent and work gone into. Old masters, etc..
exactly my point

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2009, 02:14 PM

Contrary to popular belief, you are not a unique little snowflake. People tend to cluster into preference groups - you try finding vegetarian chicks who aren't into environmentalism, for example.
Yeah, but there is making generalizations that are generally pretty clear and agreeable, and trying to sort of sledgehammer a generalization you want to think is true into a little box.

Generally speaking, it is nearly impossible to generalize all conservatives and liberals because there are simply too many of them, and whatever generalizations you can come up with would need to provide so many allowances and exceptions for the diveristy and differences that exist that they would be nearly pointless anyway.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2009, 02:16 PM

Generally speaking, it is nearly impossible to generalize
wat

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2009, 02:17 PM

heheh... you caught me

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2009, 02:25 PM

Yeah, but there is making generalizations that are generally pretty clear and agreeable, and trying to sort of sledgehammer a generalization you want to think is true into a little box.

Generally speaking, it is nearly impossible to generalize all conservatives and liberals because there are simply too many of them, and whatever generalizations you can come up with would need to provide so many allowances and exceptions for the diveristy and differences that exist that they would be nearly pointless anyway.
Ummm, Bess... What you just wrote above is exactly how I'd expect all libs to reply.

I don't think you realise just how predictable groups of people are. Go ask a marketing executive or a political campaign manager if you don't believe me.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2009, 02:59 PM

By the same token, the "vegetarian environmentalist chicks" generalization would also be meaningless, because there are vegetarian chicks who aren't environmentalists — it's just hard to find because they're outliers. But hey, that's fully half of the generalization that we need to disclaim! OMG! In practice, this we still feel OK making the generalization, because it's true in a general sense.

Similarly, while conservatives and liberals won't necessarily agree on everything, there is an average that can pretty safely be called "conservatism" or "liberalism."
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2009, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
By the same token, the "vegetarian environmentalist chicks" generalization would also be meaningless, because there are vegetarian chicks who aren't environmentalists — it's just hard to find because they're outliers. But hey, that's fully half of the generalization that we need to disclaim! OMG! In practice, this we still feel OK making the generalization, because it's true in a general sense.

Similarly, while conservatives and liberals won't necessarily agree on everything, there is an average that can pretty safely be called "conservatism" or "liberalism."
I guess... I would just suggest that spending too much time on coming up with many of these generalizations is generally pointless (and I realize that this is another generalization

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2009, 03:30 PM

I guess... I would just suggest that spending too much time on coming up with many of these generalizations is generally pointless
No. 'Tis good marketing skillz. Every ad you see anywhere which doesn't make it into FAILBlog has had someone spending much time thinking about said generalisations.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 16, 2009, 03:48 PM

I have quite a few friends who are conservative and deeply involved in the arts (mostly music). For anyone who doesn't know, I'm probably considered heavily conservative by most people in here.

I've dabbled in music, lyricism, modern paintings, photography, drawing, poetry, and short stories. I don't consider myself particularly skilled, but being consistently involved in all of this is absolutely necessary for my sanity.

My book library at home consists of tons of poetry books (John Keats: all-time favorite), photography collections (Henri Cartier-Bresson was king), and literature of all kinds. Musical tastes are fairly eclectic. Besides the obvious Christian music stuff I listen to, I'm into alternative music, classical, big band, blues, pop, rock, and even a little country (NOT the Toby Keith style). - Last.fm profile

I've always fit in better with the artsy crowd, and even gained about 5x more liberal friends than conservative friends in college. I think there's a difference between people who appreciate the arts and people who are obsessed with them. Liberal artists tend to center their lives around the arts, and become extremely involved. Conservative artists aren't necessarily less talented or appreciative, but seem to be less likely to get heavily involved with the culture surrounding the arts.

ironknee  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2009, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I have quite a few friends who are conservative and deeply involved in the arts (mostly music). For anyone who doesn't know, I'm probably considered heavily conservative by most people in here.

I've dabbled in music, lyricism, modern paintings, photography, drawing, poetry, and short stories. I don't consider myself particularly skilled, but being consistently involved in all of this is absolutely necessary for my sanity.

My book library at home consists of tons of poetry books (John Keats: all-time favorite), photography collections (Henri Cartier-Bresson was king), and literature of all kinds. Musical tastes are fairly eclectic. Besides the obvious Christian music stuff I listen to, I'm into alternative music, classical, big band, blues, pop, rock, and even a little country (NOT the Toby Keith style). - Last.fm profile

I've always fit in better with the artsy crowd, and even gained about 5x more liberal friends than conservative friends in college. I think there's a difference between people who appreciate the arts and people who are obsessed with them. Liberal artists tend to center their lives around the arts, and become extremely involved. Conservative artists aren't necessarily less talented or appreciative, but seem to be less likely to get heavily involved with the culture surrounding the arts.
what kind of music?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2009, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post

Whereas libs tend to have a higher tolerance for BS art - the stuff which hasn't required any talent or effort other than coming up with a politically/socially subversive or suitably BS name for the piece. You know, like placing a lump of dog poop on a TV remote and calling it "BBC".
You forgot about the Dung Madonna

Where would you place Jackson Pollack?
No 5 by Polack
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2009, 05:58 PM

I've found that conservatives tend to...

Whereas libs tend to...

I can understand the implication of a causal connection between politics and a tolerance for BS, but when it comes to art appreciation, I'd say education is a much more important influence.

Of course, education is very political, so it isn't surprising there's a correlation, but that's not the direct causal link one can find with BS tolerance.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2009, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
You forgot about the Dung Madonna

I was about to say this is redundant, but then I realized you're not talking about that Madonna.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 16, 2009, 06:05 PM

what kind of music?
We had a mish-mash style. Kind of a mix of grunge, blues, and southern rock. Yes, it odd. We only played locally, but didn't last longer than about 14 months. The other guys lost interest. One got into golf and the other into graphic design. The drummer...well, you know drummers. I'd still be doing it today just for the outlet and fun if they were into it. I played bass at first, then became lead singer.

Let's just say I was no Doofy.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2009, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I can understand the implication of a causal connection between politics and a tolerance for BS, but when it comes to art appreciation, I'd say education is a much more important influence.

Of course, education is very political, so it isn't surprising there's a correlation, but that's not the direct causal link one can find with BS tolerance.
I suppose the difference could be summed thus: While the conservative tends to appreciate the art for how it is (pretty picture, appealing form in that sculpture, etc.), the "educated" lib will perhaps be appreciating the art for what he thinks it says. Education could perhaps cause this effect since a certain style of education will create an individual who's always trying to read between the lines rather than simply looking at the reality in front of him*.

Maybe.

* Vote for change! Heh.

ironknee  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2009, 08:59 PM

I suppose the difference could be summed thus: While the conservative tends to appreciate the art for how it is (pretty picture, appealing form in that sculpture, etc.), the "educated" lib will perhaps be appreciating the art for what he thinks it says. Education could perhaps cause this effect since a certain style of education will create an individual who's always trying to read between the lines rather than simply looking at the reality in front of him*.

Maybe.

* Vote for change! Heh.
that's good...

close

i would say... there are those who like art that are "as is"... as you say, pretty pictures, etc... like michaelangelo and da vinci... easy on the eyes...

and on the other side, there are those who like that also but prefer art that DOES reads between the lines... poetry is like this... not just the words but also the implications

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 18, 2009, 03:15 PM

Maybe.

* Vote for change! Heh.

Well, IMO a "proper" education would teach you that a consideration of technique, or of the artist's intent, or of one's own subjective interpretation, are each context dependent tools, just like a gun or a rake.

While I won't go so far as to say that someone who finds a direct correlation between which tool they use the most and their politics are Doing It Wrong™, they're doing something.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2009, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Well, IMO a "proper" education would teach you that a consideration of technique, or of the artist's intent, or of one's own subjective interpretation, are each context dependent tools, just like a gun or a rake.

While I won't go so far as to say that someone who finds a direct correlation between which tool they use the most and their politics are Doing It Wrong™, they're doing something.
Maybe you can answer my question. Where would you place someone like Jackson Pollack? A lot of his work looks like the monkey/elephant paintings they sell at zoos around the world.
45/47

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2009, 05:48 PM

Pollock= a guy who was in the right place, at the right time, where splattering paint all over a canvas actually had patronage. 99.999999999% of the rest of the entire human race doing exactly the same thing, would starve to death attempting to interest anyone else beyond being laughed at.

To me, Pollock's work is only interesting based on the celebrity of the artist, and his being at the right place to be noticed at all, not really the art itself. People that pretend to find some deep, underlying 'meaning' in it, beyond something that may accidentally happen to look striking, I think are kidding themselves.

This whole subject is interesting though.

Personally, I think it's a lot like the recent comedy and conservatives thread- the arts shouldn't have all that much to do with anyone's political beliefs. Also, the term 'the arts' is so broad, it's so impossible to even pin down. Would you likely find more 'conservatives' at the opera? More 'liberals' at a hip-hop concert? For every 'conservative' that thinks a velvet Elvis painting is 'fine art', there's a 'liberal' that thinks a mural full of cheesy imagery and puffy cartoon lettering and such is 'cultured'.

Seems to me no one can stake any claim to owning good taste, bad taste, refined culture or cheeseball 'pop' culture, or even an appreciation and support of 'the arts' (which is really so broad it almost defies definition) based on political views, unless they're just imagining it.

ironknee  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2009, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
Pollock= a guy who was in the right place, at the right time, where splattering paint all over a canvas actually had patronage. 99.999999999% of the rest of the entire human race doing exactly the same thing, would starve to death attempting to interest anyone else beyond being laughed at.

To me, Pollock's work is only interesting based on the celebrity of the artist, and his being at the right place to be noticed at all, not really the art itself. People that pretend to find some deep, underlying 'meaning' in it, beyond something that may accidentally happen to look striking, I think are kidding themselves.

This whole subject is interesting though.

Personally, I think it's a lot like the recent comedy and conservatives thread- the arts shouldn't have all that much to do with anyone's political beliefs. Also, the term 'the arts' is so broad, it's so impossible to even pin down. Would you likely find more 'conservatives' at the opera? More 'liberals' at a hip-hop concert? For every 'conservative' that thinks a velvet Elvis painting is 'fine art', there's a 'liberal' that thinks a mural full of cheesy imagery and puffy cartoon lettering and such is 'cultured'.

Seems to me no one can stake any claim to owning good taste, bad taste, refined culture or cheeseball 'pop' culture, or even an appreciation and support of 'the arts' (which is really so broad it almost defies definition) based on political views, unless they're just imagining it.
crash i think we agree!

would it be true if i added... liberals may accept non traditional "art" easier whereas conservatives may not

not to say liberal are always right... not everything radical is art but take impressionists, today their art looks tame but back them it was revolutionary

anyways rock on!

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 18, 2009, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Maybe you can answer my question. Where would you place someone like Jackson Pollack?

I don't really like him, so as such haven't invested any effort to put it in a proper context. CRASH's analysis sounds good to me.

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
Personally, I think it's a lot like the recent comedy and conservatives thread- the arts shouldn't have all that much to do with anyone's political beliefs.

I essentially agree with you. One of the reasons I started that thread is that it had all of the sudden struck me that comedy is an odd example where a fair number of people ignore this and achieve success.

non traditional "art" easier whereas conservatives may not

What would you consider to be non-traditional art nowadays?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2009, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post

Thread necro alert!

Christian rock sure has come a long way from the days of Petra and Stryper.
- Thomas Paine

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 30, 2009, 02:47 PM

Demon Hunter is also good for a laugh.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2009, 02:56 PM

Doof's professional advice for those wanting to rock and roll:

1) Grow your hair, you pansies.
2) Learn how to play the guitar, you pansies.
3) Go back to the music store and ask 'em what they did with the other half of your drum kit, you pansies.
4) A JCM800 up full bore sounds way better than that Recto, you pansies.

Forum Links
Forum Rules