Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > 4th Gen Nano: Some mp4s Play, Some Don't

4th Gen Nano: Some mp4s Play, Some Don't
Nergol
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2009, 10:39 PM

So I just got a new 16GB Nano, and I've been trying to load it up with some video. I have a bunch of video files as .mp4s, some of which are HandBrake rips (of movies I own on DVD), and others are stuff I've downloaded from the internet (mostly anime fansubs). When I try to load them onto my iPod, some work fine, while with others, I get a message that the mp4 was not copied to my iPod, because "it cannot be played on this iPod".

I know about the thing in iTunes with "Create iPod or iPhone Version", but so far I've tried it twice, with no good results. With one video, the option was grayed out, and with the other, it created an .m4v that had audio, but no video other than a white screen.

So far all the videos that have given me trouble have been subtitled, but I've also loaded videos with subtitles without trouble.

All the .avis I've run through conversion to .mp4 with EasyWMV work. I've run some of the .mp4s that didn't work through EasyWMV too, with mixed results even then - some of the .mp4s that didn't work before work after that, and some still don't work.

So does anyone have any suggestions? I'd be very appreciative of any help.

Forum Links
Forum Rules