Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > PowerMac picture thread

PowerMac picture thread (Page 15)
Azzgunther
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2003, 02:54 PM

Oh that would be incredible. Does the 970 run hotter/cooler than the g4 does?

I wonder if it's even possible. Seems that the market would be more ready to accept a Cube system today than it was then. It was ahead of its time no doubt.

D'Espice
Mac Elite
May 20, 2003, 09:11 AM

A new cube would just be.... awesome. I think Mac users are ready for an inaudible PowerMac computer now that we've heard the MDDs
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

raskol
Banned
May 20, 2003, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by chu-ka-pi:
I've just been quickly browsing through
this thread and saw that some folks
are still using Next Stations. Do you
guys know where I could find a cheap one
and how much I should except to pay for
one of these "old-timers" ?

Thanks in advance,

CKP

http://www.blackholeinc.com/

They NeXT stations starting at $149 with mono monitor. They are in Denver CO USA. I have actually met him. He has loads of software, printers, scanners, cubes etc.

exa
Grizzled Veteran
May 21, 2003, 02:20 PM

It's a Rev A DP1250 with a lot of other toys.

Desk:

Computer and subwoofer:

D'Espice
Mac Elite
May 21, 2003, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by exa:
Now I see why they're called "Mirrored Door Drive"
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one

mark9939
Mac Enthusiast
May 26, 2003, 07:51 PM

MBP 1.83 GHz CD/iPod 30GB

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 26, 2003, 11:41 PM

Originally posted by mark9939:
This is my temporary desk at home.
Why is the G4 hidden behind a Celeron PC...?
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Biggysteve
Forum Regular
May 27, 2003, 12:57 AM

My comfortable set-up. The Cube and display are being offered up for trade in the MacNN Marketplace, but I'm not sure if I really want to part with it.

The Core:
Cube 450 Mhz
DVD-ROM
80 GB Seagate Barracuda IV
896 MB RAM
Rage 128 PRO

The Goods:
15" ADC
EyeTV
SoundSticks
Kensington Wireless Studio Pro Mouse
Epson Stylus C82
LaCie d2 52x CD-RW
100 MB Zip

The Tacky Furniture:
Flourescent Music Note Lamp

MindFad
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2003, 12:59 AM

Love the flourescent music not lamp, despite its level of tackiness!

Edit: Hmm, maybe starting a fresh pic thread would be a good idea, instead of having to wade through 15 pages for anyone who hasn't visited this thread yet? Just an idea. The thing is almost two years old.

Biggysteve
Forum Regular
May 27, 2003, 01:40 AM

Originally posted by MindFad:
You should see this baby lit up at night. It's like Vegas in my dining room.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2003, 03:20 AM

Originally posted by Biggysteve:
You should see this baby lit up at night. It's like Vegas in my dining room.
You have your Mac in the dining room?

Azzgunther
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2003, 03:22 AM

Edit: Hmm, maybe starting a fresh pic thread would be a good idea, instead of having to wade through 15 pages for anyone who hasn't visited this thread yet? Just an idea. The thing is almost two years old.
No way dude.

When I first got here I loved spending a half hour at a time checking out settups from the past and present.

If a new thread were started, all those old settups would be lost. I'm sure there are a few people like me that'd hate to see them disappear.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2003, 03:24 AM

Originally posted by Azzgunther:
No way dude.

When I first got here I loved spending a half hour at a time checking out settups from the past and present.

If a new thread were started, all those old settups would be lost. I'm sure there are a few people like me that'd hate to see them disappear.
I agree 100%.

This is a historical document man.

If somebody wants to see only new setups he can just flip to the last page.

Biggysteve
Forum Regular
May 27, 2003, 03:59 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
You have your Mac in the dining room?

Well, I'm in college, living at home in a relatively small 2 bedroom condo with my father and older brother, here in the boonies of San Diego. My choices are to either work while people are loudly chewing their cereal, or work while blaring hip hop and a 25 year old man with a bong are ruining my concentration on the sweet, sweet educational prOn in my bed room. Since my dad isn't around too often, I get more privacy here, but much as I like a thrill, I still wish I could masturbate in a room with a door.

tramahound
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2003, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by Biggysteve:
...I still wish I could masturbate in a room with a door.
funniest thing I've read so far today!

MindFad
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2003, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by Azzgunther:
No way dude.

Well, a large majority of the setup pics are gone from the early pages anyway. It was just an idea. Make of a PDF of it if it's so historical.

Azzgunther
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2003, 06:49 PM

Well, a large majority of the setup pics are gone from the early pages anyway. It was just an idea. Make of a PDF of it if it's so historical.
Too much work. Easier just to keep the old threads where they are in case we wanna read about what life was like in the primitive 01's.

donny31
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2003, 08:41 PM

http://homepage.mac.com/donatelloa/M...toAlbum18.html

I finally finished my set-up. Here is a pic of my New powermac with 20" cinema display accompanied by the 17" PB. The desk from hold everything fits perfect. JBL creatures make the room full of great sound. Im very psyched and lucky!

Awimoway
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2003, 09:01 PM

The martini is a nice touch.

P.S. Where'd you get the gawjus desktop pic? finding nice pictures for my 20" display has not been easy.

donny31
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2003, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by Awimoway:
The martini is a nice touch.

P.S. Where'd you get the gawjus desktop pic? finding nice pictures for my 20" display has not been easy.
Thanks --the martini candle is key! there are a whole bunch of great desktops at:
Macdesktops.com

D'Espice
Mac Elite
May 30, 2003, 07:25 AM

Originally posted by donny31:
http://homepage.mac.com/donatelloa/M...toAlbum18.html

I finally finished my set-up. Here is a pic of my New powermac with 20" cinema display accompanied by the 17" PB. The desk from hold everything fits perfect. JBL creatures make the room full of great sound. Im very psyched and lucky!
Dude what are you, a millionnaire?

donny31
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2003, 07:46 AM

Originally posted by D'Espice:
Dude what are you, a millionnaire?
I wish --i just made the right decisions a few years back in the market -and i know how to save money and use money properly! Just a normal guy!

D'Espice
Mac Elite
May 30, 2003, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by donny31:
I wish --i just made the right decisions a few years back in the market -and i know how to save money and use money properly! Just a normal guy!
I envy you.... *looking at his G4/450 Sawtooth and Athlon 900 Debian-box*

schalliol
Mac Elite
May 30, 2003, 10:33 AM

You know you need to step up to dual 20's with the martini there!

If I get the chance I've got to take some new pics.... with the full setup too, including my PowerBook G4 & PowerBook G3 with GeoPort Telecom Adapter Answering machine.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 30, 2003, 11:39 AM

Originally posted by schalliol:
http://www.schalliol.com/G4/2.jpg or http://www.schalliol.com/G4/sm/2.jpg (smaller)
Dell? And then two? You gave money to the traitor. Shame on you.

And those speakers could use an upgrade. That old-style beige doesn't fit well with Aqua.

schalliol
Mac Elite
May 30, 2003, 01:24 PM

Awww, don't mock the displays! They're actually Samsung 191t displays that are rebranded and were less expensive at Dell (at the time - as for skimping on price, it's two very nice 19" displays - I haven't won that Pepsi Billion yet). I compared the displays at two stores. These certainly look better than the 23" HD and the 17" from Apple, though the 20" wasn't out, so I can't say for sure on that. It's much brighter with darker blacks, and most all the specs are better, and of course a longer warranty. Oh and the bezels are the tiniest I have seen, it really feels like a video wall...I know it's hard to tell from the pics, but dual standard ratio 19's are huge together. It would not be good to have dual widescreen displays that are sold because they would be too wide if they are large and you'd be looking at a VERY wide and short rectangle.

As for the speakers, my point exactly on needing new photos. I now have Klipsch a ProMedia 2.1 system with the cable upgrade (if you have these speakers, get the cable upgrade).

I also have a badass Polycom phone that I highly recommend (Polycom makes those nice speakerphones you see at companies). It's the SoundPoint Pro SE-225 and has dual full-duplex speakerphone mics and a headset port. It's also black, which matches the setup nicely.

iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

schalliol
Mac Elite
May 31, 2003, 01:57 PM

Ok, I took the pictures.

I have a photo gallery of 37 images (desk area and office/living room). I created two versions of it. One has large images resized to 450 pixels wide and the other has large images at 1800 pixels wide. The photos change every 10 seconds.

Peregrino Way Office/Living Room (small)

Peregrino Way Office/Living Room (large)

Ok, 3's a lot of pictures, but hey, everyone's saying "for the archives," so hopefully you'll permit the set. Of course much more detail is in the link.

( Last edited by schalliol; May 31, 2003 at 02:08 PM. )

Mac Bird
May 31, 2003, 10:01 PM

Click for larger image!
( Last edited by Mac Bird; Feb 17, 2004 at 01:13 PM. )

dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2003, 01:13 AM

Here are updated pics of my setup.
http://homepage.mac.com/dfbennett/PhotoAlbum11.html
I graduated from college a few weeks ago and am finally out of the dorm. Unforunately, I haven't landed a job yet so I'm still living at my parent's house. I like my setup but am definately looking forward to getting my own place(preferably one without blue walls that painted on a whim when this room was my older brother's room), some real furniture(my futon mattress is so thin after 3 years of use), and a new Mac. My buddy just got a new 1.25dp Powermac and I'm SO envious, hopefully this Christmas I'll go ahead and buy a new Mac.
( Last edited by dfbennett; Jun 1, 2003 at 03:34 PM. )
Regards,
Dave

schalliol
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2003, 02:46 PM

dfbennett,

A great setup, given the constraints you mentioned.

A few take-aways from my perspective:
1. I like the blue wall (at least it's not totally blue.
2. Your surround speakers shouldn't be so high. Perhaps a foot or two lower would be good.
3. Position your sub against the wall at the angles of the wall (nearly touching parallel to each wall, not angled toward the listening area).
4. Get a universal remote see my Philips Pronto in the picture set above. A TSU 1000 or a 2000 used might be the right budget for you, though new units just shipping are great too. You can use your mac to make the layout. Contact me if you need more details. Your remote should be able to make all your settings with one button press for various setups.

dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2003, 03:32 PM

dfbennett,

A great setup, given the constraints you mentioned.

A few take-aways from my perspective:
1. I like the blue wall (at least it's not totally blue.
2. Your surround speakers shouldn't be so high. Perhaps a foot or two lower would be good.
3. Position your sub against the wall at the angles of the wall (nearly touching parallel to each wall, not angled toward the listening area).
4. Get a universal remote see my Philips Pronto in the picture set above. A TSU 1000 or a 2000 used might be the right budget for you, though new units just shipping are great too. You can use your mac to make the layout. Contact me if you need more details. Your remote should be able to make all your settings with one button press for various setups.
Thanks for the feedback. The blue walls are interesting but not quite my cup of tea.
As for the surrounds, I've thought about lowering them but I've calibrated the decible levels with the Avia guide to home theater and a SPL meter from my couch to get a balance between all of my speakers. They actually sound just about perfect at the decible levels I set them at.
For the sub, I'll give your suggestion a shot.
Lastly, the gray remote on the right is actually a universal learning remote. I finally got around to programming it for all my devices:TV, CD, DVD, Xbox DVD(for when I get my mod installed and use my xbox as a media player), VCR, DSS(I have a remote extender controlling the DSS box that I mirror from the ther room), and reciever. I just wanted to show off my insanely high number of remotes(though i don't think the xbox one is in that pic!).
My one for all remote actually works really well, and it was on clearence at the local walmar for under 20 bucks!
Thanks for the comments though. I'll let you know how repositioning the sub works out.
Regards,
Dave

JayTi
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2003, 10:54 PM

Eh, my new setup. Its connected to a dual 1.42

( Last edited by JayTi; Jun 1, 2003 at 11:00 PM. )
Am I still here?

schalliol
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2003, 11:17 PM

Simply, very impressive.

So, what video cards are you driving those with? I assume one must be PCI.
( Last edited by schalliol; Jun 2, 2003 at 03:51 AM. )

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2003, 10:39 AM

It's time for an update, a lot has changed since I last posted my setup here:

My setup & room

Since I haven't graduated university in Germany yet (and it'll still take a while...) I can't afford one of the new, fancy Macs. And even if I could, I don't think I would buy one due to the noise I would not be able to stand longer than five minutes.
However I will be moving soon (within the next six months) and I'll be able to post new pics of my new setup in my new studio appartment
( Last edited by D'Espice; Jun 2, 2003 at 10:46 AM. )

Azzgunther
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2003, 08:17 PM

Originally posted by JayTi:
Eh, my new setup. Its connected to a dual 1.42

Wow. Beautiful. Can I have one of the monitors?

schalliol
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2003, 08:22 PM

I'm sure they're free for the asking!

loh
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2003, 10:16 PM

Heres my updated setup. Got those monsoon pm-14 speaks, they sound great. Also moved my tower into the desk. Getting a new desk and chair in a month or two, and there is a Logitech mx300 mouse hiding behind that chair.

PowerMac Dual 867 - 1 GB Ram - Studio Display - 20 GB Ipod

Azzgunther
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 4, 2003, 11:47 AM

I'm sure they're free for the asking!
That's what I'm counting on...

I'm so getting an LCD for my next monitor though, regardless of whether my main man JayTi comes through for me or not

osxisfun
Jun 4, 2003, 02:23 PM

How are you driving the 3rd LCD?

Is it an apple 20"?

Leonis
Senior User
Jun 4, 2003, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by osxisfun:
How are you driving the 3rd LCD?

Is it an apple 20"?

Add a Radeon 7000 (to drive one monitor) with the built-in card in the One-Eyed Mikey (to drive the other two)

Two 22" and one 23".....by the way they look
MacPro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250GB + 160GB HDs, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook Pro 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM (from work)
MacBook (White) 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM

Leonis
Senior User
Jun 4, 2003, 08:30 PM

By the way....I find it kind of ridiculous for a production artist paying so much for the monitors can't afford a Wacom tablet
MacPro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250GB + 160GB HDs, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook Pro 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM (from work)
MacBook (White) 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM

schalliol
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2003, 07:24 PM

Are you talking about JayTi? It looks like there's one on the right edge.

Awimoway
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 5, 2003, 10:52 PM

Originally posted by dfbennett:
Here are updated pics of my setup.
http://homepage.mac.com/dfbennett/PhotoAlbum11.html
I graduated from college a few weeks ago and am finally out of the dorm. Unforunately, I haven't landed a job yet so I'm still living at my parent's house. I like my setup but am definately looking forward to getting my own place(preferably one without blue walls that painted on a whim when this room was my older brother's room), some real furniture(my futon mattress is so thin after 3 years of use), and a new Mac. My buddy just got a new 1.25dp Powermac and I'm SO envious, hopefully this Christmas I'll go ahead and buy a new Mac.
I liked the Twin Peaks reading material on the coffee table.

B.I.L
Jun 6, 2003, 12:41 AM

This is from a little while ago, enjoy...

Why not, it's just a $2500 computer, right?

It was hilarious the way the Zip disks came flying out... kept you on your toes!

Sadly, the CDR drive began making funny noises because of the angle, and I hate funny noises.

Here's how it is now. Had to get the third display for symmetry, ya know?

Only thing that's changed is the Umax under the drawers finally died (good riddance) and got replaced by a slim Canon that sits on the window sill next to the tower.

Peace!

PMG4:533GHZx2/1GB/440GB/10.4
PB12:1GHZ/768MB/40GB/10.4

loh
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2003, 01:17 AM

one question.......why??
PowerMac Dual 867 - 1 GB Ram - Studio Display - 20 GB Ipod

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2003, 01:58 AM

Here's are some updated pics of my home office.

The room was painted in a bright "Aqua" color with silver squares to match the G4 Cube on the desk.

http://homepage.mac.com/chrisrivera/PhotoAlbum38.html

schalliol
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2003, 01:58 AM

Not done much rigging before, eh?

When they came out with the case, I thought it would be cool to connect each handle to a corner of a wall. So you'd have an 8'x8' wall or something and you had the G3/4 perfectly centered in the wall about 3" away from it:

\ /
G4
/ \

schalliol
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2003, 02:07 AM

cjrivera,

Looks like we posted at the same time. I really like the color, very very nice. It really goes well with the glass desk.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2003, 02:11 AM

cjrivera,

Looks like we posted at the same time. I really like the color, very very nice. It really goes well with the glass desk.
Thanks.

The room needs pictures on the wall or something, but I hate to put holes in a newly done room.

schalliol
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2003, 02:30 AM

Yeah, that is a tough call. Maybe just one really nice picture. Aluminum frame perhaps.

Forum Links
Forum Rules