Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Upgrade or G5

Upgrade or G5
PJ G4
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2003, 06:29 PM

Now that the G5 has been announced does it make sense to upgrade. I currently own a Quicksilver 800 single processor. Does it make sense to upgrade the processor to a dual or should I sell my computer and purchase a 1.8 G5. I use my computer for audio, MP3 downloads, database, and photo editing. Thanks

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2003, 06:46 PM

Makes sense to me to upgrade. I just don't have the money just yet. Stupid school taking up half my Pell Grant

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 29, 2003, 06:48 PM

How much can you get for it? I say it makes more sense to buy a whole new computer if you can sell your current one.

A single OWC 1.467 GHz upgrade would be $620 (and it'd be overclocked slightly).

A dual PowerLogix 2x1 GHz upgrade would be $680.

A brand new single 1.6 G5 is $1970, and a 1.8 is $2370.

And, a brand new single 1.25 G4 Power Mac is only $1270.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2003, 06:48 PM

First off, do you need the extra juice?

Secondly, if so, I would go for a G5 every day of the week and twice at the weekend.

Just think what extras a G5 gives you: A much, much better architecture, triple the FSB, FW800, SATA, 8xAGP, PCI-X, USB2, Superdrive, better graphics, etc etc

And on top of this, you get much better resale value for the future...

Assuming there are no financing constraints, it is a no brainer to me...

Peace,

Marc

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2003, 11:30 PM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
First off, do you need the extra juice?

Secondly, if so, I would go for a G5 every day of the week and twice at the weekend.

Just think what extras a G5 gives you: A much, much better architecture, triple the FSB, FW800, SATA, 8xAGP, PCI-X, USB2, Superdrive, better graphics, etc etc

And on top of this, you get much better resale value for the future...

Assuming there are no financing constraints, it is a no brainer to me...

Peace,

Marc
I couldn't agree more...if the G5 is out of your price range, save up and get one when you can rather than just being satisfied for the moment.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

DrBoar
Senior User
Jun 30, 2003, 04:36 AM

If the 800 is to slow any G4 below 1.6 Ghz will be to slow as well, or at least soon become so for you. I would save money for the 970 and if possible wait for the rev2....

The current line up is strange one with the top of the line version offer the most bang for the bucks A 50% price increase gives 250% the CPU performance double the HD size, double amount of RAM and a better graphical card as well as the PCI-X.

I hope Apple goes back to all duals. DP 1.6 2.0 and 2.4 in the next revision would be sweet

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2003, 12:22 PM

Forget that the G5 exists and ask yourself "Is this computer faste enough for what I do?" If it is, don't upgrade.

Avoid upgrade-itis. It just costs you money before you really needed to upgrade!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

PJ G4  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2003, 12:50 PM

Thanks for the replies to my post. The only upgrade I was considering was from OWC. They have a Powerlogix dual processor 867 Mhz with 2MB Level 3 Cache. Final cost with trade in of my processor will be $355. I have upgraded the memory on my computer to 1.25GB, replaced the combo drive with the Pioneer AO5 Superdrive, replaced the HD with a Western Digital Special Edition 120GB, and added an M-Audio Revolution 7.1 soundcard.
What really matters is how will the new G5 improve what can be obtained from a processor upgrade for my use. Thanks

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 30, 2003, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by PJ G4:
Thanks for the replies to my post. The only upgrade I was considering was from OWC. They have a Powerlogix dual processor 867 Mhz with 2MB Level 3 Cache. Final cost with trade in of my processor will be $355. I have upgraded the memory on my computer to 1.25GB, replaced the combo drive with the Pioneer AO5 Superdrive, replaced the HD with a Western Digital Special Edition 120GB, and added an M-Audio Revolution 7.1 soundcard.
What really matters is how will the new G5 improve what can be obtained from a processor upgrade for my use. Thanks
Very reasonable deal. Still, it depends on what you want to do with that. What would a dual 1 GHz or single 1.467 cost you with the trade in?

PJ G4  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2003, 04:42 PM

Other upgrade options are as follows. The prices reflect the $135 credit for my processor
1.2 single processor 2MB cache $315
1.4 single processor 2MB cache $485
1.0 dual processor 2MB cache $545

loh
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2003, 06:14 PM

This is a little off topic, but I noticed you upgraded your hard drive and soundcard. How does the revolution 7.1 sound compared to the onboard? and how does the Western Digital HDD compare to the old one?
PowerMac Dual 867 - 1 GB Ram - Studio Display - 20 GB Ipod

PJ G4  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2003, 10:40 PM

loh:
My computer came with the IBM 40GB. Changing to the Western Digital Special Edition 120GB was a BIG improvement. Faster and much more quiet. The IBM was very noisy even at rest. The Western Digital is very quiet.
I really enjoy the Revolution 7.1 audio card. It sounds a lot better than the stock audio and has a lot of options for surround sound. From what I have read on various forums it is one of the best available for the Mac. How do you like your dual Powermac. Do you plan to upgrade to the G5. Take care

loh
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2003, 02:11 AM

Yeah, this IBM Deskstar that came with my Dual SUX. Seriously, its about as loud as my old maxtor hard drives, and it seems slow too. BTW I love the Dual 867, its great. I wont upgrade to a g5 until the 2nd or 3rd generation, my machine is only about 7 months old.
PowerMac Dual 867 - 1 GB Ram - Studio Display - 20 GB Ipod

Forum Links
Forum Rules