Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Okay dorks... I'm at the WWDC

Okay dorks... I'm at the WWDC (Page 4)
ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2004, 03:34 PM

i like tiger...can't wait to try it out...

so, being 64 bit OS, can it run on g4s? or g3?

new screens look sweet...i bet when i see a real one in an apple store it's probably bigger than iy looks in pics.

vertex
Jun 28, 2004, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
The 9800 XT is a more powerful card than the GFFX 6800. Is the extra DVI port really worth that extra money?

I'm still soaking all the Tiger stuff in, but so far I'm kind of in the middle. I think I'll have to play with it first. At least all the metadata whiners are creaming their pants in joy.
Yeah, ATi produce powerful cards. On the PC side it's a different matter altogether, but on the Mac, and PC, ATi suffer from poor drivers for 3D apps. I am talking about 3D graphics programs here, nothing else.

Turias
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 03:36 PM

Originally posted by vertex:
Yeah, ATi produce powerful cards. On the PC side it's a different matter altogether, but on the Mac, and PC, ATi suffer from poor drivers for 3D apps. I am talking about 3D graphics programs here, nothing else.
So a gamer with no interest in 3D apps should go with the ATI card as it is more powerful and less expensive?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2004, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
That red calendar does hurt my eyes.
It does indeed. Maybe the Apple "widgets" are just preliminary? I hope so. I had some reservations about the idea of a built-in Konfabulator-type thing, but after watching that video on Apple's site, it might actually be quite useful. We'll see.

By the way, my graphics card can beat up your graphics card.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
That red calendar does hurt my eyes.
EVERYTHING in Dashboard hurts my eyes. It's all unbelievably bad.

I pray to all the gods that those widgets were kludged up by Apple to show what third-party developers might create for Dashboard, and not the widgets that are actually going to ship.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2004, 03:38 PM

Pity you have nothing to back up the suden loss of keyboard control. Oh wait, you use Maya, with an ATi card, but only push a few thousand polys around? Am I close?
hahahaha

I'm still laughing. Oh, my eyes. Someone get me a tissue.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

vertex
Jun 28, 2004, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by Turias:
So a gamer with no interest in 3D apps should go with the ATI card as it is more powerful and less expensive?
Definitely. ATi aren't cr@p, they're damn good cards, but not for 3D animation anymore. Well, on the Mac they are second to nVidia in that particular area. Doesn't matter how powerful the card is, if the drivers fail, it's as much use as a piece of bread.
Like I said earlier, I was speaking from very selfish reasons, and purely from the 3d animation perspective, which is what I need.

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 28, 2004, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by BrunoBruin:
EVERYTHING in Dashboard hurts my eyes. It's all unbelievably bad.

I pray to all the gods that those widgets were kludged up by Apple to show what third-party developers might create for Dashboard, and not the widgets that are actually going to ship.
From http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/dashboard.html
Tiger will come with a bunch of Widgets to start you out. There are many exciting possibilities, but here are some fun Widgets in the works.

vertex
Jun 28, 2004, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by starman:
hahahaha

I'm still laughing. Oh, my eyes. Someone get me a tissue.
What exactly are you laughing about? That ATi perform far worse than nVidia for 3D applications? Don;t believe me? Go ask those who use it in a film/tv enviornment and who USE it hard, on an intense production. I think you'l be shocked.

I used to work at Alias as a software engineer on Maya, and before that Power Animator. The current feelings in Alias mirror mine. Just go ask Jill Ramsay at Alias, who works in this area of driver compatability. I don;t know any professional studio using ATi now, and most got burned by them.

daimoni  (op)
Occasionally Quoted

( Last edited by daimoni; Sep 12, 2004 at 12:19 PM. )

MindFad
Posting Junkie

The widget closing effect is snazzy.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite

Originally posted by d0ubled0wn:
From http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/dashboard.html
Bleah. I will hold out hope that the easy-customization business that was mentioned means it will be possible to change the widgets to brushed metal (never thought I'd be asking for more of THAT) and dump the Playskool plastic-fantastic theme.

"Elegantly designed" my Aunt Fanny.

vertex
Jun 28, 2004, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by daimoni:
Agreed. By the way... I was the only one in attendance that clapped when Steve Jobs introduced this.

It's like the whole 3rd party Apple developer community didn't even know what RSS/Atom was... nor the significance of it.

Amazing.
I wonder if it can be placed in a sidebar like the RSS reader in Firefox. Means one could browse the net, but have their feeds update on the sidebar out of the way. Really hope it's out before Tiger.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2004, 03:48 PM

By the way, my graphics card can beat up your graphics card.
Leave my card alone. It already has a complex.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 28, 2004, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by ironknee:
...yes
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2004, 03:51 PM

What exactly are you laughing about? That ATi perform far worse than nVidia for 3D applications? Don;t believe me? Go ask those who use it in a film/tv enviornment and who USE it hard, on an intense production. I think you'l be shocked.

I used to work at Alias as a software engineer on Maya, and before that Power Animator. The current feelings in Alias mirror mine. Just go ask Jill Ramsay at Alias, who works in this area of driver compatability. I don;t know any professional studio using ATi now, and most got burned by them.
Then maybe you can explain why Alias themselves have ATI listed FIRST on their web site as a partner.

And whoop-dee-doo about how long you've been using Alias. I was using it on an SGI Iris 4D/70GT in the late 80's/early 90's. I still have the 3-ring binder and the manual. I got an award for an animation I did on PBS. Your point?

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

velodev
Senior User
Jun 28, 2004, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by Mark Tungston:
Being in a creative field � I appreciate:

� Low bevel of screen and frame.
� Easy tilt
� Standards mountable
� Non distracting color of frame

You can only improve a monitir by so much and they did.

Apple Monitors: A+

the price is ok. i suppose it is not the cheapest but not outrageous either.
Warranty: D-

Limited warranty and service
Your Apple display comes with 90 days of free telephone support and a one-year limited warranty.

Out of the box, my HP 23" came with 3 years on-site. And it was $350 cheaper. Without venturing into other aspects of this monitor (refresh rate, etc.)... this is a big deal to some people. LCD's aren't cheap... replacing them isn't an option but paying hundred of extra dollars for a warranty isn't either. With AppleCare, how much would an insured 23" cost (just to compare)?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2004, 03:53 PM

Originally posted by ironknee:
The question is:
To what extent does "running" imply SPEED ?

I'll see how it works on my good ol' iBook (500Mhz, Dual USB)

-t

fireside
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2004, 03:53 PM

Originally posted by Landos Mustache:
I ****ing love that glossy white ****!
like the glossy white too, just not the blue ENDCAPS. the ENDCAPS are the place where the Apple and the little Search buttons are. if you notice, they're BLUE. and the fill is WHITE. its UGLY.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 28, 2004, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
like the glossy white too, just not the blue ENDCAPS. the ENDCAPS are the place where the Apple and the little Search buttons are. if you notice, they're BLUE. and the fill is WHITE. its UGLY.
The blue around the Apple menu button reminds me too much of the Start button on Windows.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

vertex
Jun 28, 2004, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by starman:
Then maybe you can explain why Alias themselves have ATI listed FIRST on their web site as a partner.

And whoop-dee-doo about how long you've been using Alias. I was using it on an SGI Iris 4D/70GT in the late 80's/early 90's. I still have the 3-ring binder and the manual. I got an award for an animation I did on PBS. Your point?

Mike
Of course they are listed as a partner. Softimage just had a big party celebrating their Half-Life 2 EXP XSI version in partnership with ATi knowing that, according to their own list of accredited cards, ATi have major, very major issues with XSI. XSI list ATi as a partner, in fact, higher ranking than any other, but ATi and XSI have very well known compatibility issues. It's so bad in XSI using customers, that ATi have been virtually blacklisted by users. It doesn't stop Softimage from doing their marketing spiel with ATi.
It's business, it's exposure. It doesn't imply that they actually work well with their software

My mentioning working at Alias was to show you that I was involved in dealing with the whole issue of Maya and 3rd party vendor hardware. Being involved in writing the software does, in my mind, give me at least some perspective when it comes to how it wil run on certain configs. We go through stringent tests for vendor verification, nd the degree in which they wil function with the software.

Look, if you don't believe me, just hang out in a pro animation forum, ask questions, ask the guys who work in film.

In fact, do you even use Maya? Wht type of scenes are you working on? How is it being used by you? I can pick up a Matrox card to run it, loks ood at first, might give me the confidence to assume it;s the best thing ever. But shove that into a film production, then you'll see. All depends on how you're pushing the kit. you'l eventually run into walls if it suffers from poor driver support.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2004, 04:02 PM

I agree. That's pretty ugly and inconsistent. You would expect the fill to be blue.

vertex
Jun 28, 2004, 04:05 PM

I agree. That's pretty ugly and inconsistent. You would expect the fill to be blue.
Maybe we aren't seeing it in full action yet, or how it is used to mark a user interaction event.

SouthPaW1227
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2004, 04:14 PM

Excuse the ignorance, but what "Endcaps" are you guys talking about? Pic?

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2004, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by daimoni:
Agreed. By the way... I was the only one in attendance that clapped when Steve Jobs introduced this.

It's like the whole 3rd party Apple developer community didn't even know what RSS/Atom was... nor the significance of it.

Amazing.
OK. Time to flaunt my ignorance.
What is RSS and why should I care?
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

daimoni  (op)
Occasionally Quoted
Jun 28, 2004, 04:26 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Sep 12, 2004 at 12:20 PM. )

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2004, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by SouthPaW1227:
Excuse the ignorance, but what "Endcaps" are you guys talking about? Pic?
http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/th...spotlight.html

As seen in that movie, the endcaps are the Apple and search graphics at either end of the menu.

I really don't like that Apple menu blue like that. Very Windows-ish, and that bothers me for some reason.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2004, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by dcmacdaddy:
OK. Time to flaunt my ignorance.
What is RSS and why should I care?

Gotcha. The link to the video helped a lot. So it is a standard format for presenting news on the web. Why is RSS any better than just browsing to a bunch of web sites and reading the content formatted in HTML?

Still Kinda Wondering?
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2004, 04:38 PM

It's mainly just convenience. You can scan over headlines from a bunch of sites in one consistent view. If you look at more than 10 sites a day, it's definitely quicker than dealing with all those tabs/windows and different designs. Good sites will provide short excerpts of articles in addition to the headlines, so you can quickly scan through and decide which ones you want to read.

daimoni  (op)
Occasionally Quoted
Jun 28, 2004, 04:40 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Sep 12, 2004 at 12:20 PM. )

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2004, 04:42 PM

http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/th...spotlight.html

As seen in that movie, the endcaps are the Apple and search graphics at either end of the menu.

I really don't like that Apple menu blue like that. Very Windows-ish, and that bothers me for some reason.
Ya you're right, that shouldn't be. They should only look like that if they are selected.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

fireside
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2004, 04:50 PM

no. it should all be white.

vertex
Jun 28, 2004, 04:51 PM

Looks like Arlo from konfab can see the humour in all this.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2004, 04:53 PM

Looks like Arlo from konfab can see the humour in all this.
Humour? He seemed rather bitchy the other day.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2004, 04:54 PM

i am waiting patiently before i can find a video of the keynote speech, so i can hear steve explain it all, but from the sneak peak website i am really looking forward to dashboard.

it looks like it could be a quick link between your commonly used information without having to launch those applications.
i open and close ical all the time, calculator, have itunes sitting in the corner of my screen 24/7, open and close address book all the time.

i like the fact that they do not sit on your desktop all day. something tells me my top left corner to turn on my screen saver is going to become my gadgets corner.

i am not all that excited about how they look right now, maybe they will change, maybe they will grow on me when i finally get to use tiger next year.

vertex
Jun 28, 2004, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
Humour? He seemed rather bitchy the other day.
I'm kinda wondering what his next course of action will be.

velodev
Senior User
Jun 28, 2004, 05:02 PM

I'm kinda wondering what his next course of action will be.
I would make a portal image listing all the names of widgets and in the other column, list all 5 or so Apple have planned.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2004, 05:02 PM

The main thing I like about Dashboard is the expose-like way of making it visible. I liked Konfabulator when I tried it, but it wasn't really all that useful to me. I still don't think this kind of feature is that useful, but hey, who am I to get in the way of innovation?

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2004, 05:04 PM

I'm surprised that Apple is being so blatant by using the term "widget" also.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2004, 05:06 PM

no. it should all be white.
What should be white? The menu bar? If so, that's what I meant. I meant "fill" as the clicked state for them, sorry.

And I'm sure they'll fix it up. But it's odd that they chose to even go this route to begin with. We don't nee more GUI inconsistencies. Still, I'm psyched to try out Tiger.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
The main thing I like about Dashboard is the expose-like way of making it visible. I liked Konfabulator when I tried it, but it wasn't really all that useful to me. I still don't think this kind of feature is that useful, but hey, who am I to get in the way of innovation?
Konfabulator has that too, "Konsposé"

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2004, 05:47 PM

Originally posted by Synotic:
Konfabulator has that too, "Konsposé"
Yeah so I hear, I tried it out before that existed, I think.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2004, 06:01 PM

Konfabulat- I mean dashboard... is stupid. I'm actually using Konfabulator right now it's a neat little app... very non apple looking so I kinda don't like that aspect of it but in other ways it's cool All in all I just think it's a bit strange... by the way... the iTunes controller is bigger than when you hit the green button in iTunes! Who the heck wants to control iTunes with something bigger than iTunes? That's just stupid!

And that calendar thing.... what the heck is up with that... and the address book it screwy too! The whole thing just looks super messed up!

That said, the closing effect is spiffy, think we could get that done for closing windows? Think about it a quick animation with the red dot glowing brighter and sucking the rest of the window into it then BOOM. hehe... nifty...

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 06:17 PM

http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/search_finder.html <---- does that Finder image look incredibly bloated to anyone else? Same with the image of Automator: http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/automator.html

Seems as though CoreImage is pretty damn cool along with some of the other under the hood stuff, but the UI of OS X keeps going down the drain.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2004, 06:22 PM

Yah reminds me a bit of Party Shuffle... it's a great feature but it just looks like it doesn't fully belong in the app...

Oh well... it's still better than Windows... but they really do need to stop letting Jobs dictate the way every aspect of the OS looks... it's just beginning to look as messy as something I designed...

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2004, 06:51 PM

I think it's fairly simple..

Konfabulator doesn't have a real purpose (Whatever you want it to be) while Dashboard does have a purpose (Quick access to Desk Accessories). To me they're two different product which can co-exist together (Konfab for widgets that "stay" on the desktop while Dashboard's Gadgets can go away)

IMO I'd rather to use a product that have a main idea in mind and that's Dashboard. I'm also looking forward to the "magic touch" that Apple will give to Dashboard.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2004, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
Konfabulat- I mean dashboard... is stupid. I'm actually using Konfabulator right now it's a neat little app... very non apple looking so I kinda don't like that aspect of it but in other ways it's cool All in all I just think it's a bit strange... by the way... the iTunes controller is bigger than when you hit the green button in iTunes! Who the heck wants to control iTunes with something bigger than iTunes? That's just stupid!

And that calendar thing.... what the heck is up with that... and the address book it screwy too! The whole thing just looks super messed up!

That said, the closing effect is spiffy, think we could get that done for closing windows? Think about it a quick animation with the red dot glowing brighter and sucking the rest of the window into it then BOOM. hehe... nifty...
Just wondering if you've seen this line in Dashboard webpage?

"There are many exciting possibilities, but here are some fun Widgets in the works."
( Last edited by Adam Betts; Jun 28, 2004 at 07:04 PM. )

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2004, 07:04 PM

Hey - It's just like the being back in the very early 90's

Desk Accessories are back (Dashboard) - and so are Fat Binaries:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/64bit.html

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 28, 2004, 07:25 PM

The 9800 XT is a more powerful card than the GFFX 6800. Is the extra DVI port really worth that extra money?
No. The Geforce 6800 Ultra utterly destroys the Radeon 9800 XT. The Geforce 6800 Ultra's competition is the Radeon X800 XT. For those who had wanted the X800, this nVidia card is it more or less the same thing performance-wise.

By the way, it supposedly can drive TWO 30" monitors. Kewl.

It is the first card available to support the DVI standard dual link digital signal specification from the two DVI ports it features. This capability is required to drive the new 30-inch LCD, high resolution Apple Cinema HD display. The combination of a GeForce 6800 Ultra with a dual processor Power Mac G5 driving two 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Displays is the definitive tool for the creative professional.

Oh and something I've been saying to the high-rez-small-area laptop types for just about forever is now highlighted on the one of the main Cinema Display pages (and not just buried in the support pages):

Best Resolution for Images and Words

The quality of the pixels you see impacts how you use your computer. After years of experience, Apple engineers have discovered the ideal resolution to display both sharp text and graphics � a pixel density of about 100 pixels per inch (ppi). Other vendors may offer a larger monitor, but with less resolution, so you end up with fewer pixels, or a smaller monitor with a high resolution that causes eyestrain and headaches. Apple�s balanced 100 pixels per inch format is optimized for images, yet allows you to easily work with text in email, Safari and sophisticated type treatments in layouts.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Jun 28, 2004 at 07:35 PM. )

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2004, 07:37 PM

Thanks, Eug. Yeah, I cleared my confusion up earlier. I was thinking of the 5000 series of GeForce FX cards.

Now all we need is the damn X800 series from ATI!

Forum Links
Forum Rules