Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Adium 0.7b1 released

Adium 0.7b1 released (Page 2)
juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2004, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by Tick:
prefs/contact list/edit or whatever/contacts tab/show detailed status checkbox
sweet thanks man.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

jguidroz
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2004, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
gonna wait til the bugs are al worked out .. i like my adium preferences and would be afraid to lose it =P
When I started using SVN builds, the only thing that changed in the prefs were the accounts information between the SVN build and 0.63. Even switching back, my 0.63 contact list still had the same look.
B&W G3/300 OS X 10.3 Server
AL G4/1.5 OS X 10.3
Next computer G5/3.X Ghz OS X 10.x.x

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Sep 17, 2004, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by fortepianissimo:
Well in the "known issues" department:

Messages sent using MSN are not working for some users, although Adium does feedback as if they were sent correctly.

I'm having exactly this problem.
Just pulled the svn and built adium myself - this problem is gone now.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2004, 10:00 PM

Adium 0.7b2 is up...

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Sep 18, 2004, 11:57 PM

Originally posted by Sarc:
can anyone please tell how to make the contact list not show the MSN handle ? ie. [email protected]

Yeah want to know the solution to this one too - other than that, this looks AWESOME!
This might be obvious for some people. There is an option "Contact Name Format" under the View menu, which might be helpful for this purpose.

For me I just checked the "Import my contacts' names from the Address Book" from the Address Book of Contact List preferences under the Advanced tab (wow that sounds more like applescript).

However I'm still not clear about this: when I change the Alias of an MSN buddy, not only the alias is changed, her/his status is also changed to be the same as the alias! Is it a bug or a feature?

Ryan1524
Senior User
Sep 19, 2004, 03:23 AM

how do i set so that i only see the alias/screen-name ont he bubbles, and not their entire Hotmail ID?
Ryan

RedHerring
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2004, 01:05 PM

Ya'll do know that Beta 2 is already out, right?

It supposedly fixed the MSN issue (I can't say for sure because I only have one person on MSN... and that hussy is never online... haha).

It's actually crashed 3 times on me, tho.... whereas the first beta didn't. I dunno... it's a toss up. Haha.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2004, 01:07 PM

Originally posted by RedHerring:
Ya'll do know that Beta 2 is already out, right?
Yep.

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 19, 2004, 01:44 PM

It's actually crashed 3 times on me, tho.... whereas the first beta didn't. I dunno... it's a toss up. Haha.

Did you report those crashes?

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 19, 2004, 02:52 PM

Beta 2 fixed a lot of the GUI problems I was having.

MUCH better.

Can't wait till beta 3.

RedHerring
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2004, 03:09 PM

Did you report those crashes?
Using the crash-reporting tool that popped up, yes

ambush
Banned
Sep 19, 2004, 04:06 PM

Is anyone experiencing Color ****s (as in, you choose a color and it does not apply and you get a bright yellow or a pink instead of what you wanted...).

I had this ALSO on my old iBook. And now it's doing the same thing on my PB12.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 19, 2004, 05:52 PM

ambush if you have your list set at any type of transparency whatever color is on your desktop will shine through.

Not sure if that is the problem or not.

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 19, 2004, 07:08 PM

Using the crash-reporting tool that popped up, yes

cool

ambush
Banned
Sep 19, 2004, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
ambush if you have your list set at any type of transparency whatever color is on your desktop will shine through.

Not sure if that is the problem or not.
I'm not that dumb, actually.

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2004, 02:20 AM

I'm having a great time with Adium and its awesome customizability, but there are a few things I really miss from iChat:
  • An easy way to change your current buddy icon. I like to avoid the prefs window (and menus, if possible) as much as possible for something I tend to do often.
  • An easy way to set a custom Away message... same reasons as above. I'm becoming more friendly with CMD-Y, but still.
  • The ability to set an Online status message. Yeah, only iChat actually supports viewing it, but it's fun to use with my Mac friends.
  • More features in the Menu Item. This could easily solve bullet 2, 3, (as iChat's menu item does) and perhaps even bullet 1. Why is Disconnect the only item in the Menu Item?

Aside from these minor growing pains, I think I'm ready to move on... iChat was annoying me. (What IM program accepts incoming messages when you're AWAY?!? Bah!)
( Last edited by azdude; Sep 20, 2004 at 02:26 AM. )
17" 2.33GHz C2D MacBook Pro / 320GB / 2GB

Thinine
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2004, 09:44 AM

Good points. I'd like a way to get rid of all group headings. It's annoying since I only have AIM buddies but I still the AOL heading and Recent buddies heading.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 20, 2004, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by ambush:
I'm not that dumb, actually.
Just making sure.

theJoKell
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2004, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by azdude:
I'm having a great time with Adium and its awesome customizability, but there are a few things I really miss from iChat:
  • An easy way to change your current buddy icon. I like to avoid the prefs window (and menus, if possible) as much as possible for something I tend to do often.
  • An easy way to set a custom Away message... same reasons as above. I'm becoming more friendly with CMD-Y, but still.
  • The ability to set an Online status message. Yeah, only iChat actually supports viewing it, but it's fun to use with my Mac friends.
  • More features in the Menu Item. This could easily solve bullet 2, 3, (as iChat's menu item does) and perhaps even bullet 1. Why is Disconnect the only item in the Menu Item?

Aside from these minor growing pains, I think I'm ready to move on... iChat was annoying me. (What IM program accepts incoming messages when you're AWAY?!? Bah!)
Easy way to set an away message? I don't know how it could get much easier. You have a keyboard shortcut that you already know and you can also go into the File > Set Away Message. What else do you want???

The Online Status message *might* come with the upcoming status system rewrite. There was discussion about it a while ago. I'm not sure if it's possible though, something about iChat hacking the protocol to set it? I can't really remember...

The menu item is something that just got brought back, so features are minimal right now. Stuff will be added.

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2004, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by theJoKell:
Easy way to set an away message? I don't know how it could get much easier. You have a keyboard shortcut that you already know and you can also go into the File > Set Away Message. What else do you want???

Hey... fair enough. Just getting used to it, that's all.

On a related note, how about a "You're Away" Indicator less ungainly than a whole window? An extra "bubble" in the contact list, perhaps?

The menu item is something that just got brought back, so features are minimal right now. Stuff will be added.
Nice.

theJoKell
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2004, 02:05 PM

Hey... fair enough. Just getting used to it, that's all.

On a related note, how about a "You're Away" Indicator less ungainly than a whole window? An extra "bubble" in the contact list, perhaps?
If you have yourself in your buddy list, you should be marked as away. I don't think you can turn off the away window, though. That's something you may want to submit, as it sounds like a good idea. [email protected]
( Last edited by theJoKell; Sep 20, 2004 at 02:12 PM. )

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Sep 20, 2004, 02:09 PM

It would be nice though that a single CMD-Y (or whatever) can just turn on the "away" mode - most of the time I don't need to customize the away message again and again. Maybe offering an OPT-CMD-Y?

theJoKell
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2004, 02:14 PM

It would be nice though that a single CMD-Y (or whatever) can just turn on the "away" mode - most of the time I don't need to customize the away message again and again. Maybe offering an OPT-CMD-Y?
There already is an opt-cmd-y, it allows you to set a new away message without returning from the away state.

Although that also sounds like a good idea. [email protected]

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 20, 2004, 02:43 PM

.7 also sorts users properly. And keeps them that way.

Unlike .63 that made you manually do it ever so often.

That a lone is worth the upgrade.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 20, 2004, 10:30 PM

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2004, 10:39 PM

There already is an opt-cmd-y, it allows you to set a new away message without returning from the away state.

Although that also sounds like a good idea. [email protected]

click file

hold option

you can change it that way too

oh, and fake idle

poocat
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 10:57 AM

they're doing awesome work.
that was really fast for a lot of changes.

I'd love to see that suggestion about being away w/o the window...
though i used to like it the more i need screen space the more i don't like it.

poocat
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2004, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by poocat:
they're doing awesome work.
that was really fast for a lot of changes.

I'd love to see that suggestion about being away w/o the window...
though i used to like it the more i need screen space the more i don't like it.

poocat
You can turn that window off in the preferences. I think it's under advanced somewhere - I'll post where when I get home if no one else has already.
12" Rev B PB

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 21, 2004, 11:15 AM

oh, and fake idle
Fake idle and notifications of conversation windows being closed remotely. What next? Detection of remote fake idling?

3rd-party developers should at least and technically follow rules but Adium seems to be breaking some of them. I've even seen instances where you could detect invisible people (Proteus did this because of a bug). This is extremely bad. I can understand why the official IM service providers are trying to block 3rd-party clients.

The last thing I want is other people knowing I'm not answering their message and knowing that I closed the conversation window without answering.

If all 3rd-party clients start doing this (and they seem to be moving that way) then 'invisible', 'idle' and privacy will have no meaning.

I'm not the IM police and I can't tell you what to do but have a bit of common sense and realize that you and the Adium team (Proteus, Fire and Trillian are guilty also) are bending the system. If everyone had Adium, Fake Idle would have zero meaning because everyone would be able to tell when remote conversation windows are closed...obviously the other side isn't idle.
( Last edited by Horsepoo!!!; Sep 21, 2004 at 11:21 AM. )

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2004, 11:18 AM

I *use* fake idle. It doesn't detect a fake idle. Although when I set it to 200 hours, eh.

We all know you don't like adium horsepoo, why do you continue to post in a thread regarding adium?

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 21, 2004, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by Horsepoo!!!:
Fake idle and notifications of conversation windows being closed remotely. What next? Detection of remote fake idling?

3rd-party developers should at least and technically follow rules but Adium seems to be breaking some of them. I've even seen instances where you could detect invisible people (Proteus did this because of a bug). This is extremely bad. I can understand why the official IM service providers are trying to block 3rd-party clients.

The last thing I want is other people knowing I'm not answering their message and knowing that I closed the conversation window without answering.

If all 3rd-party clients start doing this (and they seem to be moving that way) then 'invisible', 'idle' and privacy will have no meaning.

I'm not the IM police and I can't tell you what to do but have a bit of common sense and realize that you and the Adium team (Proteus, Fire and Trillian are guilty also) are bending the system. If everyone had Adium, Fake Idle would have zero meaning because everyone would be able to tell when remote conversation windows are closed...obviously the other side isn't idle.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 21, 2004, 11:58 AM

I *use* fake idle. It doesn't detect a fake idle. Although when I set it to 200 hours, eh.

We all know you don't like adium horsepoo, why do you continue to post in a thread regarding adium?
This isn't about Adium...this is about 3rd-party implementing things in a wrong way.

I actually like Adium. I'm just not happy with certain things.

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2004, 12:00 PM

This isn't about Adium...this is about 3rd-party implementing things in a wrong way.
That's why the thread is called "Adium 0.7b1 released" and not "im client bitch list"

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 21, 2004, 12:01 PM

That's why the thread is called "Adium 0.7b1 released" and not "im client bitch list"
Would you like me to start the 'IM Clent Bitch List" thread?

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2004, 12:03 PM

Would you like me to start the 'IM Clent Bitch List" thread?
I'd rather you not derail threads instead..

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 21, 2004, 12:07 PM

I'd rather you not derail threads instead..
Ok...but I'm not really derailing the thread...what I'm talking about still pertains to Adium and its lack of ethics. And the lack of ethics is present in 0.7b1 b2 and b3. If this were a Proteus thread, I'd be talking about its lack of ethics.

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2004, 12:08 PM

Ok...but I'm not really derailing the thread...what I'm talking about still pertains to Adium's lack of ethics. And the lack of ethics is present in 0.7b1 b2 and b3.
How is custom idle lack of ethics?

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 21, 2004, 12:09 PM

How is custom idle lack of ethics?
Custom idle is borderline bad ethics...fake idle is ****ing with the system. Idle should behave the way they are meant to behave in the official clients.

Idle is just that...idle. If you're actually doing something on the computer, the IM clients kick out of 'idle' mode. Changing that behavior is not ethical.

Could you imagine if everyone used IM clients that had fake idle? Nobody would even believe that someone is 'Idle' because everyone would be using fake idle features.

Anyways...I know a lot of people will disagree and even *if* the Adium team came to its senses on this issue, it would probably be very difficult for the team to remove existing features without an outcry from people that don't care for morals and ethics.
( Last edited by Horsepoo!!!; Sep 21, 2004 at 12:16 PM. )

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2004, 12:28 PM

Custom idle is borderline bad ethics...fake idle is ****ing with the system. Idle should behave the way they are meant to behave in the official clients.

Idle is just that...idle. If you're actually doing something on the computer, the IM clients kick out of 'idle' mode. Changing that behavior is not ethical.

Could you imagine if everyone used IM clients that had fake idle? Nobody would even believe that someone is 'Idle' because everyone would be using fake idle features.

Anyways...I know a lot of people will disagree and even *if* the Adium team came to its senses on this issue, it would probably be very difficult for the team to remove existing features without an outcry from people that don't care for morals and ethics.

So you are saying that fake idle is bad because it makes people appear idle when they are not, and then eventually people will just figure it out and just im people anyhow? So the fact that invisible has been around forever, and nobody is really offline, and this is *supported* by im official clients means nothing to you? Nor the fact that fake idle weeds out idiots who think someone will idle for 200 hours that signed on 2 seconds ago? *sigh*

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 21, 2004, 12:55 PM

He is just bitching because it's Adium.

He is a Proteus fanboy.

Just ignore him.

poocat
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 02:01 PM

Thorin thanks much, i figured it out... i'd never really taken that preference into account. So simple! Been using Adium for years and feel kind of foolish.

This beta (3) seems pretty solid to me... though i still don't understand how the image as background of contact list actually works (it doesn't at all for me).

More help appreciated.

poocat.
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 21, 2004, 02:50 PM

Bitching about the ethics of fake idle is laughably ridiculous. Do you honestly think that everyone marked "Away" is actually "Away?"

I believe that fake idle really has no purpose (Just use Away or, god forbid, QUIT, if you don't want to talk!!), but complaining about its ethics is really quite pointless.

theJoKell
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2004, 03:09 PM

though i still don't understand how the image as background of contact list actually works (it doesn't at all for me).
Like this?

Be sure you have status coloring of backgrounds off, as they will overlap the background image.

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 03:09 PM

This beta (3) seems pretty solid to me... though i still don't understand how the image as background of contact list actually works (it doesn't at all for me).
background images only work in the regular window layout, I believe.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 21, 2004, 05:13 PM

Bitching about the ethics of fake idle is laughably ridiculous. Do you honestly think that everyone marked "Away" is actually "Away?"

I believe that fake idle really has no purpose (Just use Away or, god forbid, QUIT, if you don't want to talk!!), but complaining about its ethics is really quite pointless.
That's my point...why mess with idle when you can just hide behind a status.

Anyways...the ethics issue is real...maybe Adium should also inform the user if he's been blocked by some people. I mean, if you're going to put in such hacks, you might as well go all the way.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 21, 2004, 10:04 PM

poocat
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 11:22 PM

oh!

thanks.

i had all the status stuff turned on and the window changed...
that should be documented somewhere or something, wasn't intuitive at all... that the background would be tied to window type (though it makes sense).

pc.
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2004, 06:15 AM

I blasted through this thread pretty quick, so I might have missed discussion of my problem. Sorry.

I tried to add some AdiumTheme files I downloaded from the Adium Xtras site. When I double-click them, Adium gives me a dialog box saying they were installed correctly, and I double-checked that they are put in the correct folder (~/Library/Application Support/Adium 2.0/Themes). However, they never show up in the Contact List section in the preferences. That is where they should be, right? Other add-ins, like Message styles, Dock icons, and emoticons worked just fine.

Another weird thing: All of my AIM contacts whose user names are .Mac email addresses don't get their display names pulled from my Address Book. In other words, even though everyone elses full names show up correctly in my contact list, all the .Mac users show up as "[email protected]."
( Last edited by wataru; Sep 22, 2004 at 06:29 AM. )

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2004, 08:56 AM

if it is not a .64/.7bX contact list theme, it won't work. They modified the theme format and you have to build it one your own.

Mac Guru

brapper
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2004, 11:10 AM

questions...
I just yesterday decided to use Adium as my MSN client but there are a couple things that I wonder about, namely:
- I have people blocked on my contact list, but adium shows nothing on the contact list about them being blocked nor does it in the contact info. Moreover, I can't seem to find an option for blocking someone.....so, is blocking enabled in Adium .7b3?
- Also, call me crazy, but I'm pretty used to having my status indicator showing all the time in my contact list. I see the options for setting idle and away under file, but the list of options usually available. Any way to get those back?
- Oh, and lastly, I have some custom icons that I'd like to add. Is it possible without making an Icon Set? if not, can someone point me in the right direction on how to create a set?

Thanks
( Last edited by brapper; Sep 22, 2004 at 11:53 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules