Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What made you get your first mac?

What made you get your first mac?
MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2004, 07:37 PM

I was driving down the street in 2002 sometime cant remember exactly. Then my wife said to me look at those new computers and i saw the mac store under a huge imac poster. I said to my self hmm i havn't seen a mac for a long time wonder what they have. When i played with OS X I simply said ring it up! When I graduated boot I got my iBook and I use it more than anything I own. I try to find any excuse to take it with me and use it. The great thing is that When my friends use it they want to go get one for them.
( Last edited by MARINEOSX; Nov 1, 2004 at 12:48 AM. )
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2004, 08:36 PM

always had one. ALWAYS. dunno. don't really know anything different.

I'm 24.

A Ghost Is Born
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2004, 10:09 PM

after using the ipod & itunes, i decided to give macs a chance. sure enough, i am a new proud owner of an ibook. Things run pretty smooth. the interface of os x is brilliant! I doubt that I will be going back to windows any time soon.

audvidsvs
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2004, 10:14 PM

The IPOD!
I travel a lot and listen to books on tape.
When I learned of the iPod teamed with Audible content I was on a job a long way from home.
I went into a Comp USA and they had just come out with the second gen iPod. I bought a first gen cheap and tried to get my Windows notebook to work with it. Not a prayer!
I went back to the same store and got a returned iBook and have not looked back once.

I have to use PC's for my work but that is all.

Forte
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2004, 10:41 PM

I vaguely recall wanting one of the original coloured iBooks back in 2000 or so, but fell foul of myths like "there's no software support", "no games at all", etcetera... Due to this, I thought for years that a Mac would be entirely unsuitable for my needs, and didn't do my research on the machines properly as a result.

Eventually, I got tired of Microsoft Windows' various problems in it's many incarnations (98/XP {I only used 95 on non-internet-connected machines purely for gaming and writing, so no big beef with that}, their interfaces, security, etc.), but found that switching to Linux wouldn't be suitable, so I decided to once again look into a Macintosh. After a lot of learning, there was no question about it, and I picked up a 14" iBook G4 (had to be the 14" - I like the screen size ^^;; ). Couldn't be happier - best computer I've ever owned, period (and my work involves using it, so it's all good).

mduser63
Oct 30, 2004, 02:05 AM

Our family got a Macintosh II when I was 2 or 3 years old (believe it or not, I actually remember the day we got it). We used it a lot, and my brothers and I especially liked it, especially since all of our other computers were DOS, and we thought having a GUI was really cool. Anyway, other than that one Mac, we've always used PCs. I've kept up with Macs and known about them ever since then (my whole life really), but never thought about buying/using one. However, 2 months ago or so, my Dad decided to buy a used Powermac G4 at a good price. I found that particularly surprising, as he's always disliked Apple and never been terribly fond of Macs, although he will readily admit they are superior computers. It's their proprietary nature, and Apple's business model that he dislikes. Anyway, shortly after we got the Powermac I got an iPod. Having used this computer almost exclusively for the last 2 or so months, I can't imagine buying another Windows computer, and I'm planning to buy a Powerbook within the next few weeks. OS X combined with really high-quality, great looking hardware at good prices is what won me over. I don't like low-end machines, and Macs are only expensive when you compare them to less powerful PCs from the likes of Dell and HP.
12" 1.33 GHz SD Powerbook - 768 MB RAM

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2004, 02:32 AM

Been using them since mid 1980s. Liked the interface at my uni, then it was helpful for my profession. I remember using MacDraw to color graphics.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Link
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2004, 03:04 AM

Didn't think much of them until around the time I was thinking about building a computer, one of my friends told me he owned a cube.. after talking with him some, I actually grew to liking them... OS X, (even if only at 10.0.4), and the way the machines looked so cool.. I had always wondered why PCs had to be boring beige and/or black towers.

Anyway, one night my mom and I were out shopping with her friend, we ended up at a costco and I decided to go look at their computers.. I saw a compaq I liked (mostly for it's screen) but decided I really wanted to see some other cool stuff -- back then sony had a slimtop I really wouldn't have minded for a computer (it had a cool screen you could use with a stylus -- whackem cintiq style)..

So I asked my mom, expecting she'd rather go home, and somehow 30 minutes later we found ourselves at a compusa.. I looked around some for that sony computer but couldn't find it, and right near the entrance of the store..

"holy crap! Cool!"

"hey that looks like the computer you showed me online"

"it doesn't just look like it, it IS."

*after gawking at the price, and emphasizing on how cool the machine was*

"I want one!!!"

The mac guy happened to be there too, except I ended up repeating the specs of the machine in front of him -- then realized the only thing I didn't really care for was the graphics card that came by default, either way.. we finally went on our way to see the sony I had been interested in..

Ended up at circuit city, and for some reason the whole love for that slimtop totally wore off.. it looked nice, came with windows 2k (surprise?), and was just really cool.. but the 15" LCD looked so miniscule in comparison to the 22" cinema display!!!

Not to mention, the machine looked kinda dark and .. well.. cheap, in comparison to the mac which I envisioned as a huge machine that seemed to glow with vibrance..

It was so different, and nice.. I had already seen and liked the OS -- really loved the idea of having a unix box I could play games on, yet STILL run a server on..

Probably one of my favorites was STILL that to me, the computer looked nothing like a computer -- the mouse was funky, the keyboard was really cool looking -- the monitor well, I don't think any other monitor design is nearly as cool (except maybe the ADC 17" crt or the oldschool B&W/G&W g3/g4 CRTs), and I've been asked more than once since I got it "Is that a computer?"

... yeah.. it is, 3 years later it's still damn powerful, damn useful, and does exactly what I wanted it for -- runs my server stuff, runs linux toys, and runs my favorite FPS games.. the bonus? The emulators are SAWEET.

Even if it cost 3x more than the sony did, it was damn worth it. Still wish I got soundsticks instead of VPC4 though - damn that was the most useless, most pathetic.. lousiest purchase I ever made.
Aloha

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 30, 2004, 03:21 AM

Windows 98.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

yuanjuhn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2004, 03:22 AM

I recently bought my G4 ibook because I wanted to try out a new environment and Macs have been something that I've always had an interest in (dabbled with a Newton 120 back in 1998), but couldn't justify spending my money on since I already invested a great deal of time and money on the Wintel platform. I had various Linux distributions installed a couple times, but the lack of driver support for my scanner, printer, and modem really made it a hassle, so I dropped it.

The Mac community was a definite factor. Coming from my experiences with the Newton, I've always been fascinated with how there were so many people involved who helped or helped evangelize. I could count on support if I had questions.

When OSX was introduced, I took notice but gave it some time to mature and once I acquired an Ipod, then saw Expose and iLife in action, I was pretty much convinced that Apple was going to have a very bright future.

The spate of win32 virii in 2003 (and the many hours of removing them along with spyware and adware from family and friends' PCs) also heavily influenced the decision.

Seeing the flawless sleep function on Apple portables, along with Airport in action finally convinced me. Here was something that was small, relatively cheap, and reliable (the G4 ones at least) and had a solid OS. I had been observing the trends for a good two years by the time I walked out of the local Apple retailer with my new ibook.

Now, I haven't entirely switched--it's just that I use my ibook alot more because it feels right. I still keep an old PC laptop with Windows 2000 and all the latest updates just so that I can use my old Windows software. Why limit yourself to just one platform? Though, I must say, I probably missed out on alot of great thing on the years that I was just a Windows user.

Bi0miC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2004, 04:10 AM

first mac wouldve been the Duo laptop ... loved that little thing

Got an ibook g4 last week, having a serious battery issue and have to send it back to apple :s... not the most warmest of welcomes

Scooterboy
Senior User
Oct 30, 2004, 04:15 AM

It was given to me after serving as a doorstop. Really.

It was a Macintosh 512KB, with dual floppy drives and an AppleWriter printer.
My ex used it to get through college. It was simple and it worked.

Later it was my crappy bug ridden Toshiba laptop that convinced me I needed a Mac. iMac DV, iceBook G3, and now the lovely machine I'm typing this on
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

thekore
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2004, 05:28 AM

i had always previously bought cheap laptops and removed windows just to run linux.. i then thought about the money i was wasting on crap hardware and decided that if i still wanted to stay away from microsoft i could easily try a mac.
While at college i used my student title to get a nice discount off a 12" 800MHz G4 iBook, with 40Gb ATA, 640MB DDR and a nice software bundle all for �933
I will never look back at another x86 machine for daily use, i only use the x86 now for my servers, but that is only until i can afford an XServe

im_noahselby
Senior User
Oct 30, 2004, 07:21 AM

I never really cared for Macs until Apple released OS X. This is, in my oppinion, when Apple began to have the edge over MS, in terms of the better operating system. In fact I thought it blew Windows away. I'm probbably one of the few that never really liked OS9, but it was because of Aqua that I first got interested in Macs.

My first mac was an 15" FP iMac 800 (rev a). It was the top of the line system in its category. It was also the first consumer mac to include a SuperDrive. I bought it as soon as it was available - 2 reasons: 800 Mhz G4 and Superdrive. It represented the best value at the time. I knew I would eventually wish to upgrade to something better, so I bought the Mac that I thought would retain its value for the longest period of time.

My choices at the time included:

-550 Mhz G4 TiBook (20GB? DVD)
-600 Mhz G3 iBook (15GB? Combo?)
-733 Mhz G4 PowerMac (40GB? No SD)
-800 Mhz G4 iMac (60GB SD)

Two years later I sold my iMac 800 and bought my current 12" PB. It has been a solid little machine and I love how it has such a small footprint. I plan on keeping this little guy for at least two years.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

zacharydz
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2004, 11:39 AM

OS X

I've used IBM-compatibles for most of my life (stated out with an over-clocked 8 Mhz 8088). I didn't see much purpose to switching pre-OS X. I never saw the real advantage of OS 9 and earlier. My friends that run OS 8 always complained about crashes and instability. Coupled with the higher prices of mac, I didn't buy one...I got along well enough with NT 4.

But, the summer before my freshman year in 2002, I took a look at the iBooks and saw that they were reasonably priced (i got everything for about $1500). OS X was usable, since 10.1 was out and corrected the big short-comings of 10.0. So I tried it out, and been using macs since.

However, I wouldn't be using Macs if it weren't for OS X. If I had to choose between classic OS or windows or linux, I would go for the latter.
Macbook 1.83 Ghz CD, 2 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, OS 10.6.2

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2004, 11:58 AM

My first experiences with personal computers I recall were with Apple II computers at school. I really loved running games (like the famous Oregon Trail) and the programs we'd write in BASIC. So, right from the beginning I gained an appreciation for Apple computers.

Years later my folks wanted to get a computer. They researched and asked friends. Luckily some people recommended the Macintosh. Not only this, but an acquaintance of my dad was aware of the upcoming Power Mac, so we waited and got a Power Mac 6100/60 AV in 1994. I remember I had a computer class in school then, and the teacher had the same model (though I think it wasn't AV.)

I had lots of fun with my new Power Mac, and since it was the first to sport the PowerPC chip, I was able to get more time out of it than I could've had I gotten a 6800 chip based Performa. Then I became aware of the histories of Apple, IBM, Microsoft, and the industry in general. I looked at other things out there, but Windoze never enticed me and the history behind it and the company turned me off to it even further. From there the choice was obvious, and I've had all Macs since then.

The change from Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X was not flawless, and I still think OS X needs improvements in some areas, but it was also a welcomed change. I was sometimes embarrassed when others would use my Mac and wonder why it would "freeze" when they held down the mouse button. And the power and compatibility with UNIX has brought the Mac that much closer to the heart of the Internet and Linux, another operating system I respect and admire. And Mac OS X keeps better (Finder Views not standing) with every version.

So here I am on my fourth Mac and hopiing to come up with enough for what would be my fifth, a new iBook.
( Last edited by Gamoe; Oct 30, 2004 at 12:04 PM. )

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2004, 12:10 PM

Wrong forum.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2004, 06:13 PM

What made me get my first Mac?

A 386 possessed by Satan himself.

(A very long time ago now... Late 80's early 90's I think)

webcookie
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2004, 08:31 PM

I'd been wanting a Mac since I saw the clamshell iBooks. I finally got an iBook G4 in October 2003 after my fourth PC started acting wonky. No complaints about the iBook.
iBook G4: 800mhz, 640mb, 40gb ("Astrid")
iPod: 30gb Photo ("Gordon"), 1gb Shuffle ("Tinker Bell")
For the record: I am female

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2004, 08:50 PM

I got a mac once I found out OS X was based on BSD.

Curiousity drove me to install Linux on my Windows box in 2002, which I still think is an excellent operating system. If only it had better hardware support/ease of use...

When my church made me a deal that I would do the sound recording if they got me the iBook to do it, I creamed my pants. I used OS X only oncebefore in my life in CompUSA about a year ago and the way the Dock icons magnified as I moved my mouse over them made me drool. So I am the proud owner of a 10 day old 12" iBook G4 1.2. The nature of UNIX demands a high amount of system RAM, so I purchased a 1gb stick from newegg. Now I find myself looking for excuses to travel so I can have fun with this baby Jesus.

I used to be on my PC everyday, but recently I have turned it off (gasp! I kept keep it on 24/7 for over a year) and haven't touched it since. If only I could get my 5.1 speakers set up for my iBook...

swichd
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2004, 11:12 PM

My first experience with Apple computers were the Apple IIe's they had at school. I remember when they got the LCII's and the cool IIe emulator card in them. But, as time went on, I got my first Mac (a PowerMac 6100/60) from school because it was getting replaced with an PowerMac G3/300 tower. I used that for a while, until I rescued my 1st PowerMac 5500/225 from my neighbors. After that died, I got a used PowerBook 5300cs for my birthday (it's still around now, but the ac adapter is bad). Then I got another 5500/225 in a trade. Now I have my iBook/500 and with its logic board, hard drive, and combo drive, not to mention it's cool AlBook like paint job, it's ready to last me for a few more years.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]"Microsoft Products are Generally Bug Free"
-- Bill Gates[/FONT]

Krusty
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2004, 12:53 AM

Through work and school I used both platforms on a very regular basis for years (starting in the late 80's). In 1999 I landed a job as a Windows software developer. 6 months later, when buying my first "real" computer, I opted for an iMac DV SE -- figured it'd help to maintain balance since I was coding ~60 hrs/week on Windows. As time passed, I really grew to see my iMac as "fun" computing whereas my WinTel box at work was always associated with work/hassle/PITA. I quit that job in mid-2002 now just enjoy my Mac(s) (and work a non-tech job). OS X really sealed the deal for me ... it became clear to me which OS was "winning" in terms of where the action is. XP is 3+ years old now, no replacement in sight for at LEAST 2 more years (and that replacement is not nearly what was originally intended ... more of an XP "plus" than the original conception of Longhorn). In my mind, there's simply nothing that interesting happening in the Windows world right now (except for security issues and struggles). OS X is the place to be for the next several years at least ---

I still spend some time in Windows (mostly tech supporting friends and family) but its a platform collapsing under its own weight, IMHO. Nothing good to see here .... move along, IMHO.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2004, 07:00 AM

I grew op with them.
I learned to know the Mac on an SE/30.
I'm 18 now, and I'm the only one in the family who has stayed loyal to the Mac. Other have switched to windows during the years (my dad switched back to the Mac tough).

Centris650
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2004, 07:38 AM

In 1988 my roomate in college had an Apple at the same time our Art Department bought a 3 macs: a Mac II, an SE and SE30. I loved them! I hated using DOS and thought the GUI was genius. I graduated in 1991 and worked at a company that used a IIfx, IIci and IIcx. Around '93 I had the cash to buy my first mac a Centris 650 along with a style writer II and a color scanner (which was really expensive around $999 at the time). My second mac was a 1g Bondi iMac. I had read about in Macworld and drooled until mine shipped in late august. My third mac was an iBook SE (Graphite) that has just met a bitter end. So, I'm now looking for a replacement.... 3 macs in 10 years...not too shabby.

However, we do own 1 pc machine. My wife is a CPA and Quickbooks for the Mac stinks.She wanted an eMac but because of her software needs (a tax program, quickbooks, etc) and the lack of a pc emulator (VPC had been bought by Microsoft) my WIFE, not me, bought the pc. Every family has to have a black sheep.
><> 1 Peter 3:15-16

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2004, 08:34 PM

Working as an admin in a mixed environment with about 65 PCs with win98 and win2000 and 10 Mac's with OS 9 and a couple of Solaris servers, I was totally fed up with both Win (and OS 9 which I did not use but had to troublehoot) and swore to Linux for my main desktop. But intriguing as it might be to spend day and night "improving" and configuring Linux, and constantly updating the system (which is an less than smooth business on Linux), one grows tired of it sooner or later. And OS 9, I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole if I didn't get paid for it.

When OS X was announced with Unix, plus all that is goood about Apple, and we simultanously bought a Cube for work, I wanted one too. I saved up some money and got me a Cube, just when it was announced that they would be discontinued. Still has it. What I love about OS X is that it's like Linux - but it just works. And it is so much more (though I must admit that 10.0 was pretty rough, dead slow and it was lacking severly in terms of software).

I still have my trusty Cube, upgraded with 1ghz G4, Radeon 32MB and 1 gig ram and 120GB HD (still a speedy machine by all standards). I also just recently purchased a brand new maxed out 15" PB and an iBook for my wife.

In my case it was OSX and good hardware design that made my get my first mac.

AleroLeanne
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2004, 10:08 PM

College was the reason I got my first Mac. I took Graphic Design, and when I found out I had to have a Mac, I purchased one...but kicked and screamed all the way. It didn't take me long to fall in love with my Bondi iMac. They had just come out in August and I got mine the first week of September.

Three or so years later, I picked up a PC (mainly because they were cheap)...and although I wanted a new Mac I just couldn't afford it at the time. This year I decided to change and my new year's resolution was to get an iBook. I just purchased my new iBook yesterday, making this the first resolution I've actually kept. I'm so happy to finally be working in OS X...it's like coming home again!

Now I just need to convert my husband to Mac's. He's a micro$oft supporter but he's warming up to my new iBook. I myself will never go back...I'm giving him my crappy PeeCee.

233mhz iMac � 1.2ghz iBook G4 � 4gig Pink iPod mini "sweet pea"

bookofjames
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2004, 12:14 AM

after 2 PC laptops that hanged on me non stop and needed constant "reformat harddisk and reinstall windows", I finally gave up on PCs and went to buy me a 12"powerbook. 2 months later, my PC desktop gave up the ghost and I've been fully on mac ever since.

its been more than a year and i'm still loving it. i'd never go back to PC now.
book-of-james.com

12" Rev B PwBk (Oct2003)
1GHz | 60GB HDD (4200rpm) | 1.25 GB RAM

XRA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2004, 12:41 AM

I had an old PII/350, and just wanted another computer. This was back in November/2000. I don't know what got me into Apple though. Somehow I ended up on the MacAddict website, and started asking a bunch of questions about them. Anyway, I ended up getting the iMac 500/DVSE-- still have it and love it. Since it was my first Apple, I'll never get rid of it. About 1 month later, I got an Indigo/366 iBook. That computer was beautiful, but I only kept it about 8 months then traded it in for the dualie iBook I have now. That is a thing of beauty I tell you!!

Lee33
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2004, 08:42 AM

Mac design. PC's have always been (until recently) beige boxes.

finboy
Nov 1, 2004, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by Lateralus:
Windows 98.
Windows 95

Plus, in 1996/1997 used Mac stuff was dirt cheap, and much more reliable than Windows machines. I use Mac because it's much more reliable.

Until Norton Systemworks and/or OS X, that is.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 12:37 PM

somehow my parents felt that the transition from the Commodore 64 to a Mac LC would be better than going with a PC. i'm glad they made that choice

joltguy
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2004, 08:10 AM

I was always a PC guy. Macs weren't even on my radar.

Then in 1998 the one-two punch of the original Bondi iMac (whoa) and the "Think different" ad campaign turned apple.com into a daily visit for me.

OS X was the closer for me though. Within weeks of seeing the initial screenshots and descriptions appearing on Apple's site I had purchased my first iBook, a blueberry 300MHz. Never looked back, no reason to.

Voch
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 08:30 AM

In my senior year in college (back in 1994) our computer store was having a sale on Duo 230's with the floppy drive and dock for $1100. I was running OS/2 at the time I think and was tired of the big clunky computer (it was my senior year and I didn't know what I'd do with it after graduating), so I sold it and bought the Duo.

I couldn't network it (we had great Internet even back then and I didn't know about microdocks) but it didn't matter. Many of my friends had Macs ranging from the SE to the SE/30 to the LC to the Quadra 840av so I had lots of help.

Voch

iPoder
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2004, 12:57 PM

Mac OS X is my reason to switch to Mac.

I used NextStep (Mac OS X origins) when I was in the college, and I liked it a lot. It was way ahead of its time, unfortunately.

When Steve Jobs returned to Apple, and started working on Mac OS X. I decided to give it a try and got an iMac DV 400 when Mac OS X 10.0 beta was out.

Later I graduated to iBook G3 500, and now PowerBook 15" 1.25GHz G4.

jtice
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2004, 07:14 PM

In 1986 I quit my day job and started a design firm. We were specing type, running trips to a type house (40 miles), and pasting up mechanicals for pharmaceutical catalogs. One of my employees had a sister who worked for Apple and she offered to get me a deal on a SE and an original Laserwriter. That SE, an early version of Pagemaker, and a brother-in-law working as a typographer for Monotype fast tracked us into the desktop publishing business while all the other shops were swearing you'd never be able to do publishing on a computer. I'm just about ready to buy my 11th Mac. I'm now on my 2nd Laserwriter which is 13 years old. OS X got me all reved up again.

J.
Now that everyone knows it's just a matter of waiting for 1.20.09.

DaBeav
Nov 3, 2004, 07:23 PM

I'm old. We had original Apple IIs back in school. I remember the progression. The IIe's were pretty cool, especially hooked up to a color screen (or TV - back when hooking your computer to a TV wasn't a feature, it was what you did). Then the IIc with a much smaller form factor and built-in 5.25" floppy! We had a few Commodores, but the Apples were the shizznit. Had a TI computer and an Atari 800 (with cassette drive!), not as cool as the Apple II. Then in middle school, a friend of mine had a dad who was a teacher. He got an LC (one of the first color consumer Macs) with an Apple II compatibility card. I'd never seen a Mac up close before. I had an 8088 DOS PC, but this blew it away. Full color, higher resolution (640x480 rocked then) and it just seemed to make so much sense! Had both in HS labs.

In college, I used the Macs mostly because the Mac labs were almost always empty. That, and Macs were much more stable than Win 3.1. Windows 95 and NT came out, but I still held an affinity for Macs. This was during the Spindler/Amelio era however, so Macs were incredibly expensive. When the first iMac came out, I went out and bought one and never looked back.

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 07:55 PM

My first PC was a Inves x286 in 1989, later got a x486 running Windows 95 and so on (pretty much went through the whole nightmare)

My father, a complete handicapped tech guy, always asked me if a Mac would be a good idea since I was expending most of my time fixing the damn computers and I seemed frustrated. He got the idea from many Clancy novels and because he is a doctor ant they were quite popular in hospitals in the 80s. Never pay attention to him, he was not knowledgeable...

In late 97, I come to the States to pursuit a MS degree in microbiology. I end up in a Mac lab. Took me like 2 h to network computers, set up printers, install OS, fix extensions and so on. I pretty much become the swiss tool in the lab. However, the only two Windows 95 machines kept me far busier than the other 12 Macs together (some of them form the late 80s).

I bought a bondi iMac when it just come out in August to write my thesis. never looked back. Later I got a TiPB 400 (I'm writing from it) and installed OS X as soon as I could. A few months ago, my advisor gave me his old Cube as a present when I installed his new PM G5 (I've been supporting his computers for years now). Upgraded memory and HD. What a nicely designed computer. I support every single computer in my lab now. I'm not busy at all.

Anytime I come back to Spain I dedicate like 50% of my free time to fix my brothers PCs. It is such an easy answer...
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2004, 12:40 AM

Blueberry iMac@Sears. Who could resist?

3gg3
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2004, 01:05 AM

I'm REALLY OLD!! I bought my kids a TI99 for Christmas!

After becoming bilingual (French/English) at the ripe old age of 45, I thought it might be cool to be 'bilingual' for computing, too. So I started to look at Macs rather casually, though was afraid that a near-computer-illiterate old fart like me would be lost in the Mac world. Well, I bought a Macworld, a MacUser (still with me?) and another Mac mag which name I don't remember. Anyway, I discovered between those covers the DUO concept, and was blown away by the form factor. Acquired a used Duo 230 and dock, and fell in love with it despite almost choking on OS7. 8 was a great improvement, and OS9 is still my favourite. The ONLY thing I like about OSX is the stability.

And like a previous poster who switched because of Duo's, I am also having some anxiety over my new 14" iBook � my first Brand New Mac. Was so hoping to have a Mac that worked as advertised. But I'v got a sleep issue that has me shutting down far too often. Too minor to send back, and the Mac dealer just shrugs. Annoying as hell, tho'.

I luv the Mac community, but Apple...

PS Also discovered in the MacUser etc, Guy Kawasaki and David Pogue and a few other great mac gurus � what a breath of fresh air after J. Dvorak.

Edited to add that my only Mac regret is that there are so few Mac users in these parts that there are no MUGs locally. (Oh, and not being able to afford a Cube when they were The Thing).
( Last edited by 3gg3; Nov 5, 2004 at 01:12 AM. )

iluvmymactoo
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2004, 02:45 AM

I got fed up with continual crashes, viruses and general break downs (then there were the peecee problems).

A photographer friend convinced me it was the way to go and I have never regretted it.
PowerBook 12" Combo 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 100GB HDD - Yep it's PPC! I'll wait for the 3rd generation MacTel when they're at their best :)

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2004, 07:27 PM

I was going to design school and we had Mac Claasics hooked up to large monitors. It was the first computer I used. I tried using Windows, but at the time- the major graphic programs were written for the Mac, not the PC and they were very buggy.

So I went down to Sears, and bought a performa!

Shortly thereafter, I upgraded to a Quadra- and actually had to take out a $5000 loan for a used machine. Oh- one must love the the Mac OS to do that!

Happily, I am still mac based and my roomate is converted. She loves the Mac. So her first Mac would be because she asked me to get her a computer. HAHA. Little did she know what she was in for!

khufuu
Nov 5, 2004, 09:10 PM

OS X

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2004, 10:42 PM

We used Macs in school. I just loved how they looked so nice (I had the misconception that Macs looked like monitors (maybe I was thiking of the all-in-one models) not like PCs with boxes). I think my mom may have mentioned some things about liking Macs. Anyway, my mom wanted to get a coputer and I said, "Mac." She went to Circuit City and picked up a Performa 6116CD. (The "CD" means it had a CDROM drive.) I just loved it! We got a subscription to Macworld (magazine) and that just added to the joy.

When it came time for me to have my own personal computer, I decided on the iBook (which my parents financed). I'd looked at the colored iBooks, but I really wasn't sure about them. The Powerbooks just had better specs, but I didn't like the size of the 15". When the Dual USB models came out, I was a bit impressed, but wasn't thinking about getting one until later in the year. That's when the second wave of white iBooks came out. I got the iBook that I currently use now (soon to be running Mac OS X 10.3.6).

I've actually purchased a Mac with my own money: a Power Macintosh 7500. I want to use it as a server, but currently, it has no access to the network.
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

Agazzie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2004, 11:02 AM

The the biggest issue for me to change too mac last summer was that the PC always f-u-c-ked up, there were always some problem/problems. Now I'm a very proud owner of two notebooks from apple, one PB and one iBook.
Do not do anything today, which
someone else can do tomorrow..

ajprice
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2004, 12:22 PM

I went to university to do a graphic design degree, the general opinion from tutors and final year students was to get a mac of my own, so I (well my folks) got a Performa 6400/200 (this was 1996). I graduated in 1999 and kept the mac for another 2 years, then I got myself a G4. The Performa is still going strong, I sold it to my neighbour. I'm completely happy with my G4 right now, no intentions of a replacement for another few years at least, or until an OS X comes out that won't run on this thing.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2004, 09:10 AM

ccsccs7 wrote:
I just loved how they looked so nice (I had the misconception that Macs looked like monitors (maybe I was thiking of the all-in-one models) not like PCs with boxes).
ccsccs7, I too had the conception that all Macs were all in ones. The first thing that sprung into my mind when my folks revealed we were getting a Mac was the Classic Mac form factor. Imagine my surprise when my Power Mac was a pizza box style Mac with a big A/V monitor on top. But, there's a reason for that conception. Since the first Mac, Apple has made the all in one its trade mark. Look at today: there's only one non-all in one line, the Power Mac. All the others are all in one models.

motoyen
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2004, 04:07 AM

I decided to buy a computer to find out what all this WWW hype was all about. I didn't know jack about computers except I used to mess around with a Mac back in school. I walked into a local Apple resellers and bought a Performa 6200 running OS7 at a blazing 75MHz. Since then I've gone through a Performa 6400 -> Pismo G3 PB -> Quicksilver 867 -> 1GHz iBook, 2 Newtons and 1 20BG iPod.

adamjaskie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2004, 10:55 AM

I gave up on Windows for Linux a while ago. A year or so after I gave up Windows, my friend got a nice G4 PowerMac with a 22" Cinema display. He was showing it off to me, and I loved how the interface was so nice and elegant, and it had the Unix command line and everything. I could write Perl and C/C++ on it, play games, and do work. Everything just worked.

Fast forward to July 2003. I am about to go into college, and I need a computer. I end up putting together a nice, powerful dual Athlon system and run Linux on it. I use it constantly, of course. Then I decide the next summer that I need a laptop. I decided on a Mac. I didn't want to mess with stuff on my Laptop so much as my desktop system, but I still wanted the powerful command line and the wonderful Apple hardware.

jmonty12
Nov 8, 2004, 04:07 PM

For me it was Windows XP.

When Microsoft came out with that garbage OS where, if you changed out your hard disk or some other critical hardware you had to call them up to get permission, well that was the end of PCs for me. Got my first Mac (an iBook) the night of Jaguar, and have since purchased a 20" iMac.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 11:47 PM

Ever since the blueberry iMac came out. Then I discovered the internet at a nice age of 10 and www.apple.com was my favorite site. The clamshell iBooks, mm always wanted one of those. Then the TiBook came out, and the iceBooks, then the SUNFLOWER iMAC.. WOOO WOO what a design, I absolutely loved it. Mmm.. then G5 and new Powerbooks, so after a long while, I decided to get the 15 inch Powerbook SO here I am.
iamwhor3hay

Forum Links
Forum Rules