Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OSX and 450mhz G4

OSX and 450mhz G4
NYGEO18
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2004, 03:16 PM

Is it worth upgrading a 450mhz G4 to Panther from classic? Is 450mhz too slow for panther?
thanks
"Drinking and driving is wrong, but hey, the kids gotta get to school right?"
-Dave Attell

pat++
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2004, 03:30 PM

Well it really depends on what you are doing, but the 450mhz G4 should handle Panther pretty well (it will be a bit slower than OS 9 though). You'll have access to all new Mac OS X only apps, iPhoto, Keynote, etc...

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2004, 04:28 PM

I've got a 450 G4, and I can tell you that it works fine. You might want to put in a better video card so you can get Quartz Extreme (and CoreImage when Tiger is released). Most modern cards should be able to handle Quartz Extreme - the nVidia GeForce 5200FX is derided a lot on these boards, but would actually be perfectly sufficient. Of course, you can get by without Quartz Extreme, but it's nice to have as it makes effects like Exposé smoother.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

NeilCharter
Senior User
Nov 6, 2004, 04:39 PM

I have a G4 sawtooth (400 Mhz) running 10.3 with no problem. It can file serve, web serve, run multiple users just fine. Office, iApps work well.

Increased memory (up to 512mb) will significantly improve performance.

I have upgraded the drive to 40 gig. Personally I would like to also like to upgrade the CPU to a GHz since these are relatively cheap (~$220).
If I had a signature, it would look something like this

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2004, 07:43 PM

I recently handed down a Cube 450 to my daughter, with 10.3 installed. It's chugging along just fine. I'd been running OS X on it since 10.1, and each iteration got speedier, as Apple refined it. There are some apps that are going to be sluggish to unusable on a 450, like iPhoto and Garage Band, but in general, there's just no reason not to upgrade it.

Load 'er up with RAM though, if you haven't already. Minimum 512 mb, better yet 768 MB or 1 GB. (a sawtooth'll hold up to 2 GB) Also, if you don't have a vid card with at least 32 MB of VRAM, you might consider getting one, since some of the interface goodies are disabled without one.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Dr.Michael
Nov 8, 2004, 08:56 AM

Originally posted by NYGEO18:
Is it worth upgrading a 450mhz G4 to Panther from classic? Is 450mhz too slow for panther?
thanks
We have it running on a 350MHz b/w G3 Powermac with 768 RAM and a 7200rpm disk.
Runs great.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by NYGEO18:
thanks
The stability alone is worth it. You will lose some of the snappyness of OS9 but it sure is worth it. Besides, OS9 really is dead.

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 11:47 AM

I own and work on a cube 400 with lots of memory and new HD and a TiPB 400 also HP upgraded and 10.3 runs as fast as OS 9 used too, but with great stability and better apps.
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

MacAttack
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2004, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by cenutrio:
I own and work on a cube 400 with lots of memory and new HD and a TiPB 400 also HP upgraded and 10.3 runs as fast as OS 9 used too, but with great stability and better apps.
A Cube 400? No such beast...Cubes came in either 450MHz or 500MHz varieties.

I have a 450MHz Cube with 512MB RAM, and it runs Panther quite nicely. Some stuff, like GarageBand, is a bit sluggish, but overall it's a nice setup. (probably still going to upgrade to an iMac G5 after playing with one at the Apple Store the other day, though)

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2004, 07:12 PM

I recently installed Panther on my parents G3 400 MHz iMac with 192 MB RAM. They only use it for the most basic stuff like word processing, email and web browsing but it handles 10.3 just well. Your G4 will obviously handle it better. If your computer is now fast enough for you, it also will be under Panther.

jguidroz
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2004, 08:19 PM

I run Mac OS X server on a B&W G3 300 with 256 mb of ram. Runs fine.
B&W G3/300 OS X 10.3 Server
AL G4/1.5 OS X 10.3
Next computer G5/3.X Ghz OS X 10.x.x

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2004, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by MacAttack:
A Cube 400? No such beast...
Mental lapsus...a cube 450
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

Madrag
Senior User
Nov 9, 2004, 02:36 PM

I'm using a G4 400 sawtooth and Panther.
Great combination (mind you, OS 9 is more responsive, but I haven't had a crash since upgrading to OS X!)

Forum Links
Forum Rules