Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > problems with D-link dwl-122

problems with D-link dwl-122
peterthorn
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2004, 04:53 PM

I have just purchased a D-Link DWL-122 usb wireless adapter (my cube wouldn't recognize airport cards).
But when using it, my Cube becomes extremely unstable - I have now crashed (meaning the window has frozen) about 3 times every day I have used it.
Does anyone have the same experience, or a suggestion on how to solve it?
I'm on 10.3.2 using the 1.32 driver for the adapter.

I have tried repairing permissions and have run disk utility.

TIA,
Peter

John Strung
Senior User
Mar 15, 2004, 09:49 PM

I have always found USB wireless adapters to be troublesome. Consider exchanging it for an ethernet-to-wireless bridge instead. Both DLink and Linksys make them. The big advantage is that ethernet to wireless bridges require no drivers or software on your computer and are completely crossplatform. (They can also be connected to a hub to share more than one device wirelessly.)

egg
Mar 16, 2004, 06:09 AM

it seems to be a very common problem with the 122+OSX

DLink say there's mac support, but infact, many people are getting kernal panics on a regular basis.

I'm actually taking mine back to the shop today. Will probably end up buying an airport card.

peterthorn  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2004, 10:08 AM

Originally posted by John Strung:
I have always found USB wireless adapters to be troublesome. Consider exchanging it for an ethernet-to-wireless bridge instead. Both DLink and Linksys make them. The big advantage is that ethernet to wireless bridges require no drivers or software on your computer and are completely crossplatform. (They can also be connected to a hub to share more than one device wirelessly.)
Hmmm - bummer! I have had good experiences with d-link products so far and searched for reviews/experiences and found no bad things about it :-(
Well - if I have to change to a bridge instead, any recommendations on models?

Thanks,
Peter

John Strung
Senior User
Mar 16, 2004, 10:18 AM

I have had good luck with a LinkSys WET11. The WET54G should be the same except that it supports the faster G protocol. If you are happy with DLink, they make similar bridges.

The LinkSys bridges do not support AppleTalk wirelessly, if that is important to you. That means that you need at least OS 9.0 to file share (over TCP/IP instead of Appletalk) and would not be able to share an AppleTalk printer. I don't know if the DLink bridges support AppleTalk.

peterthorn  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2004, 10:27 AM

Thanks for the advice!
I'll look into the wet11 (have only a b router, so no need for the big model).
Once again, you don't know how easy it often is with apple products, before you try other (my iBook with an airport card works, of course, flawless). (But on the other hand, if they hadn't screwed something up with my cube, so I could use an airport card...).

Thanks,
Peter

csimon2
May 23, 2004, 10:05 PM

I think I may have solved the problem. I have had DWL-122 for a while, but didn't use it that much because of its instability. The complete system freezes (crashes) I was experiencing, I believed to be due to the host mac USB controller not providing enough power to the wireless adapter. So, I bought a powered USB 2.0 Hub and plugged the device into the hub. So far, I have gone without any crashes and the system is stable. The only caveat appears to be that occasionally the net connection just stops. I can solve this by either turning off the adapter via the menubar or unplugging it from the hub and back in. The net then works again. Definitely, the adapter is not perfect, but when it works (I'm using it on an original rev.A iMac), its great.

Applefreak01
Senior User
May 24, 2004, 12:03 AM

I thought the drive was for Mac OS X 10.2.x and with 10.3.x you don't need the driver.

On the Dlink dwl-122 drivers web page it says the driver is for Mac OS X 10.2.x only which I would assume that Mac OS X 10.3.x doesn't need the driver.

You can download the uninstaller and see if you need the driver or not and if you don't then you can see if that helps to make it more stable.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

peterthorn  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2004, 04:52 AM

Hmm - I tried connecting it to a powered usb 1 hub w/o any luck, but glad to hear that you got it working w/o crashing. But you're also right about it disconnecting once in a while (which also annoyed me, but not as much a the crashing ).

Applefreak01: I don't believe you can use it without the driver, as it also installs the prefpane that you have to use to configure it.

I ended up returning it to the store and bought a Linksys wet11 instead, which works fine (but it would have been so much easier if my cube would have accepted an airport card!).

Thanks for the suggestions!
Peter

GWK
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2004, 08:33 PM

HI -

I just got a DWL-122 and installed it with no problems on my G3 Pismo (Firewire) Powerbook. Everything runs and is stable on Panther, but I think I might just not know what I'm doing. The D-Link settings window shows I am connected to an access point and that the signal is good, but when I start Safari, I get "server not found". I can do all of this same stuff on my PC laptop, but Explorer works fine.

Do I need to configure something?

Should I know what "rendevouze" is?

peterthorn  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2004, 07:42 AM

Originally posted by GWK:
HI -

I just got a DWL-122 and installed it with no problems on my G3 Pismo (Firewire) Powerbook. Everything runs and is stable on Panther, but I think I might just not know what I'm doing. The D-Link settings window shows I am connected to an access point and that the signal is good, but when I start Safari, I get "server not found". I can do all of this same stuff on my PC laptop, but Explorer works fine.

Do I need to configure something?

Should I know what "rendevouze" is?
All I did was to fill out the preferences, which was installed by the driver, and then it worked for me (for a couple of minutes untill it crashed...). Have you selected the network as the primary to connect to in Networks prefs? And is it the same with IE/Mozilla etc.?

It shouldn't be nessecary to do something with Rendezvous

Good luck
Peter

GWK
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2004, 05:59 PM

After failing to get the DWL to work, I sold it and got a Lynksys WET54G. After messing around with that, I am still baffled. My Windows laptop uses a generic WiFi card and easily detects 3 wireless networks in my neighborhood. I click the one (called linksys) and then I see a signal strength indicator. I start my browser and I'm online.

After configuring the WET54G, I notice a few problems. I can't change any of the settings using the web interface built into the WET54G I will make a change, and then when the screen refreshes, the change is gone and the device returns to its defaults. I am able to change the password... Weird.

When I click Site Survey, I never see the network I am looking for although my pc is right next to my mac.I'm pretty sure this should be easy.

Does anyone have experience using a WET54G?

John Strung
Senior User
Jun 13, 2004, 08:33 PM

That's really strange. I have a WET11 and have none of the problems you describe. I presume you are hardwired to the WET54G, have your ethernet TCP/IP prefs set to DHCP and you connect to the WET11 as http://192.168.1.255?

All I can think of is that the software might be corrupted and you should try resetting it to factory defaults by holding in the reset button for 30 seconds.

You could also try downloading updated firmware from the LinkSys website and flash the firmware.

peterthorn  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2004, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by John Strung:
You could also try downloading updated firmware from the LinkSys website and flash the firmware.
Have you upgraded your wet11 firmware on a mac or on a pc? Because I have tried to do it without any luck on the mac, so if you have any tricks up your sleeve...

Peter

John Strung
Senior User
Jun 14, 2004, 02:25 PM

It's easier to upgrade it from a PC, if you have one. If you have to do it from a Mac, you will have to download MacTFTP from: http://www.mactechnologies.com/pages/downld.html Note that there are both OS 9 and OS X versions to download.

After you have downloaded the installer file from LinkSys, unstuff it by dragging and dropping it onto Stuffit Expander. It should unstuff into a folder with a ".bin" file inside. Use MacTFTP to upload the bin file to 192.168.1.225.

Make sure you have a wired connection to the WET54G when you do so, and you should probably set your TCP/IP pref to a fixed IP of 192.168.1.2 with a gateway of 192.168.1.225 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

peterthorn  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2004, 03:43 PM

Thanks for the description, John!
I'll give it at go in a few days, when I can afford a bit of downtime, in case something goes wrong.

Peter

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2004, 10:42 PM

Interestingly D-Link's Singapore web site has a version of the DWL-122 driver newer than the one on their U.S. site. Uninstalling the v1.3. driver and replacing it w/the Singaporean one seemed to help out on my roommates' B&W G3, which had been KPing or just freezing using the U.S. driver on OS X.3.6..

At any rate, D-Link won't officially support it, so if it doesn't fix your troubles, don't go crying to them. They'll tell you the DWL 122 is supported on OS X > 10.3.2. But give it a shot if you haven't thrown your adapter against the wall or returned it..

Cheers.
Y.

axlepin
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2005, 06:15 AM

Originally posted by slugslugslug:
Interestingly D-Link's Singapore web site has a version of the DWL-122 driver newer than the one on their U.S. site. Uninstalling the v1.3. driver and replacing it w/the Singaporean one seemed to help out on my roommates' B&W G3, which had been KPing or just freezing using the U.S. driver on OS X.3.6..

Installing this much-newer driver helped me, but at the end of a session, after ending the wireless session with the pull-down menu, my iBook froze...

is there a fix for this, or did I do something wrong? Would it be better for me to try to locate a used Air port card for my iBook?

A

padders
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2005, 10:53 PM

Hi,

I have just bought a mini mac, and it appears made the mistake of buying this adapter as well; I am not even getting as far as you guys!

I have installed the drivers from the cd, and restarted the mini which all worked fine. Then I added the adapter to the mini; all the lights come on - looks fine; but looking in System Preferences > Wireless Adapter and it says that no wireless hardware is connected.

Anyone have any ideas or have i got a dud here?

Thanks!

loh
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2005, 02:41 AM

you guys might wanna check out the new driver available. I believe its version 1.4.7. Available on macupdate.com. I believe it fixes all the problems.
PowerMac Dual 867 - 1 GB Ram - Studio Display - 20 GB Ipod

Forum Links
Forum Rules