Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.4 (Tiger) - Becoming bloatware

10.4 (Tiger) - Becoming bloatware (Page 2)
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2005, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Zimphire
Ok, About the whole iChat thing.

How easy will it be to get people on your MSN/Yahoo etc chatlist in iChat and talk to them?

I don't care about voice, or video chat, I just wanna be able to text message.

Will this be possible?

And if so, how easily?
Well, it won't be plug-and-play simple, but it'll be possible. All you have to do is:

1. Download a Jabber client (not a multi-IM client like Fire or iChat).

2. Go to this page and find a server that has both MSN and Yahoo gateways.

3. Set up a Jabber account with the Jabber client, and set up your account to use the gateways for Yahoo and MSN.

4. You can now throw the Jabber client in the Trash if you want, because your account should be set up so that you can talk to Yahoo or MSN through any client that can speak to Jabber (like iChat in Tiger!)

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

sarcastro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2005, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Hi I'm Ben
That's okay, for a country that watches sports like curling bad taste is expected.
Never, ever speak ill about curling.

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 19, 2005, 11:41 PM

Eug I cant agree with you more- I was MOST looking forward to Q2DE - and now it seems it wont happen in the final shipping product. Everything else in Tiger (Safari RSS, ichat and spotlight for $130??) is just bloat to me. So I'll probably stick with panther for the time being.
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2005, 08:49 AM

i have a question about the new titlebar style. the one you see in system preferences, spotlight results, and mail.

which applications will get/have this?
for instance, system preferences has it, can we still drag preference panes to the top of the window for quick access?
why doesn't preview have it?

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2005, 03:18 PM

10.4 bloatware? Well yes and no. Apple is adding a lot of new features which is good and without slowing the system down.. so no it is not bloatware.

Even so Apple hasn't spent much effort in polishing or perfecting previous new features and are offering rather mediocre solutions in some cases.. so yes that is reminiscent of bloatware.

The major feature Apple hasn't spent enough time and effort on is the interface, which is very often confusing and inconsistant. Another feature Apple hasn't spent enough time on is Unicode implementation in the Finder and in the OS generally and character encoding in some apps like the Terminal. It is annoying when using a Unicode keyboard layout that it changes back to the last roman layout whenever you switch apps - even if they are unicode apps and that it switches from Unicode to roman whenever you leave a text field in the Finder. Constantly switching to your preferred Unicode layout is annoying when all the apps (and the Finder supposedly) support Unicode.

“Building Better Worlds”

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2005, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by mdc
i have a question about the new titlebar style. the one you see in system preferences, spotlight results, and mail.

which applications will get/have this?
for instance, system preferences has it, can we still drag preference panes to the top of the window for quick access?
why doesn't preview have it?
The general consensus seems to be that the look applies to apps with Spotlight incorporated into their toolbars.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 21, 2005, 03:47 PM

bloatware

n. [common] Software that provides minimal
functionality while requiring a disproportionate amount of diskspace
and memory. Especially used for application and OS upgrades. This
term is very common in the Windows/NT world. So is its cause.

Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=bloatware

I would not say that Tiger has minimal functionality. It seems to have lots of functions that work well.

jguidroz
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 23, 2005, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
The general consensus seems to be that the look applies to apps with Spotlight incorporated into their toolbars.
Well the Finder has Spotlight integration, and it's still brushed metal. NetNewsWire Lite beta uses this look, but has no Spotlight search in the toolbar. I rather like the look over the Aqua look we've always known.

I just noticed in Interface Builder that there is a checkbox to use "unified title/toolbar look" which is seen in Mail, System Preferences, NetNewsWire Lite, etc. So it looks like any app could have this look.
( Last edited by jguidroz; Apr 23, 2005 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Added some information)
B&W G3/300 OS X 10.3 Server
AL G4/1.5 OS X 10.3
Next computer G5/3.X Ghz OS X 10.x.x

Moose
Senior User
Apr 23, 2005, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by jguidroz
I just noticed in Interface Builder that there is a checkbox to use "unified title/toolbar look" which is seen in Mail, System Preferences, NetNewsWire Lite, etc. So it looks like any app could have this look.
Ding.

Expect "guidance" from Apple on when to use which window texture soon.

dru
Senior User
Apr 28, 2005, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Hi I'm Ben
Which is sad that canadians think that way. Since Microsoft is a BIGGER AMERICAN company.
Someone needs to remind Canadians that they're American too. North American. Thus "America online" applies to a pair of continents. In a place like Europe, it falls apart unless it's suddenly "Austria On-Line" and Down Under it could be "Australia On-Line" but that's about it for the AOL moniker.

Remember what folks call "America" is really the United States. OF. America. Just a thought.

I don't know anyone online who isn't using MSN and with as bad as the Microsoft client is any opportunity to find something compatible with a bit snappier. Or maybe something with features a bit closer to what the Win edition offers. I hate Microsoft and now I read they're doing to attempt to supplant PDF with something called Metro.
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

tinycat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2005, 02:03 AM

so if an OS upgrade improves features that one does not use personally that makes it bloatware? i'll agree that there is a degree of eye candy. but for some people that is what sells an OS, for better or worse.

for me and many other audio professionals, tiger is answer to many years of prayers. there are some real improvements in there. and sure if you have an older machine, it might not be the upgrade that for you. but eventually apple has to focus on the more recent machines and those in the future. i can't run Panther on my SE

sideus
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2005, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by gururafiki
bloatware

n. [common] Software that provides minimal
functionality while requiring a disproportionate amount of diskspace
and memory. Especially used for application and OS upgrades. This
term is very common in the Windows/NT world. So is its cause.

Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=bloatware

I would not say that Tiger has minimal functionality. It seems to have lots of functions that work well.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2005, 03:55 PM

I found this interesting from the Ars article on 10.4 Tiger for those who are not looking to buy Tiger.

"If you're still running Jaguar or earlier, you really owe it to yourself to upgrade to Tiger. It'll be the best $129 you've ever spent on an operating system. If you're happy with Panther, I strongly recommend going to an Apple store and checking out Tiger in person. Chances are good that there'll be at least one or two features that you'll decide you need, if not right way, then soon. As with any new release, it won't hurt to wait for version 10.4.1 or later.

Overall, Tiger is impressive. If this is what Apple can do with 18 months of development time instead of 12, I tremble to think what they could do with a full two years�let alone the length of time it took for Mac OS X 10.0 to first ship. The productivity of Apple's Mac OS X development team has increased tremendously since 10.0; they're now firing on all cylinders. While I dearly wish someone would steer them in the direction of the eternally neglected Finder, I can't help but be proud of the little OS team that could.

Mac OS X started its life as the most ambitious consumer operating system ever produced. Apple abandoned its existing, 16-year-old code base for something entirely new. Out of the gate, Mac OS X was a technical curiosity with few applications, and a performance dog. A scant four years later, Tiger is a powerhouse that combines the best Unix has to offer with a feature-rich, user-friendly interface. The increasingly capable bundled applications are just icing on the cake. We've come a long way, baby."
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2005, 04:43 PM

Bloatware does NOT describe what is going on OS X. If anything, Tiger is shedding pounds left and right. If you think Spotlight and Dashboard are the only real things that are going on in 10.4, you obviously can't see the trees... forget about the forest.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2005, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by typoon
I found this interesting from the Ars article on 10.4 Tiger for those who are not looking to buy Tiger.
That article made my head spin. Apple is VERY forward thinking from everything. Many of the Tiger updates looked more like much needed house cleaning (removing poor design implementations) and standardizing everything for the future.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2005, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh
That article made my head spin. Apple is VERY forward thinking from everything. Many of the Tiger updates looked more like much needed house cleaning (removing poor design implementations) and standardizing everything for the future.

I agree that article made my head spin too so don't worry you weren't the only one. It was a good article.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2005, 04:56 PM

Shedding pounds? What features has Tiger jettisoned?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Forum Links
Forum Rules