Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Whats with Steve

Whats with Steve (Page 2)
wvx
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2006, 04:39 PM

Apple: 3% body fat, 97% drama.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 8, 2006, 04:45 PM

All three of the other guys doing the presentations were doing the iChat demo for the iSight iMac G5 with Steve.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2006, 05:25 PM

Steve a few years ago:

Steve now:

While thinner and older, I wouldn't exactly call it sickly. But, yes, he does look thinner for sure.
Given his reputation for intensity, massive amounts of work at Apple and Pixar/Disney, I can see how someone would lose weight and look older. Just look at some before/after pictures of Bill Clinton.

Edit: iDisk isn't syncing at the moment. Pics will appear shortly (I hope).

wvx
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2006, 05:42 PM

Well, he looked and acted fine in January... then was off and gaunt during the iPod HiFi event and now he's way off. What's he been working so hard on.

Could it be the iTunes movie stuff? Negotiations with record labels?

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2006, 05:48 PM

People don't lose that much weight unless there is a health reason. I don't think his hard work and stress is causing a calorie deficit. For me, actually, a calorie deficit distracts me from work and studying.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2006, 06:18 PM

( Last edited by MacMan4000; Sep 1, 2015 at 12:18 PM. )

OreoCookie
Aug 8, 2006, 06:24 PM

Actually a close friend of mine has met him (he interned at Apple a year ago) and he was really impressed by Serlet. He said, he was extremely bright, but grounded at the same time. They found out they like the same ski resort in France in the end
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2006, 06:41 PM

So is the new Steve skinny or was the old one fat? That's what I want to know after looking at those pics.

motoyen
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2006, 06:57 PM

Get well Steve!

QueenOfSwords
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2006, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
So is the new Steve skinny or was the old one fat? That's what I want to know after looking at those pics.
I think we'd all prefer seeing a couple of extra pounds on Steve, especially at his age.
After the cancer he may actually be following a *more* extreme diet to as to try to reduce the risk of a recurrence.

Anyway now the Intel transition is complete he should take a leave of absence and go lie on the beach for a few months.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2006, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
I remember when I saw James Brown in concert 10+ years ago. They always choreographed it so he would either exit the stage for a few minutes or make it look like he was standing on the sideline letting the band do a solo. It was obvious that he was too old and tired to do the whole act.

That is what this keynote reminded me off as especially Steve doesn't like letting someone else take centre stage.

Hope steve is doing alright.
Ten years ago? I saw him six months ago. He can still rock a huge crowd though

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

wvx
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2006, 07:59 PM

There are other factors. He doesn't seem as focused. He has to refer to note cards more and is hanging on his presentations more, losing track and offloading a lot of the presentation to other people. It's not just his weight but I'll say it again, his weight was fine in January and he seemed on his game then.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2006, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by wvx
Stress is always possible but one has to wonder what could be causing stress? Worrying over Microsoft's Zune? Vista? Counting his Disney shares from the sale of Pixar?

He's been chubby in the past on his vegan diet so I doubt that's it.

I agree, the guy in the black bowling shirt did a great job. I could do without Shiller and that French guy... and please never ever ever let that Roz Ho or whatever her name is from Microsoft ever on stage again. I'd rather listen to Balmer!
Steve is a pescetarianism, not a vegan.

hickey
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2006, 09:22 PM

Serlet was easily the best part of the keynote, and his crazy eye makes him even cooler. And there was trouble understanding him.

philm
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2006, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
The way I see it, Jobs is doing the best he can, and it's pretty damn good.

When he came back to the company 10 years ago, he was on fire. Remember how he would make bold, visionary statements about the future of computing? The digital hub idea was very prophetic when you look at how computers are used today. So was his bold assertion that the iPod would be a central part of peoples' lives (even though we all thought it would never succeed).

I get the impression that he's done all that he can do in terms of vision. Now he's getting practical, and laying the foundation for Apple to succeed after he's gone. From little things like two-button mice, to huge things like the Intel transition, he's setting the company up to be more conventional, so that Apple won't crash and burn when he leaves like last time.

There may not be as many "...one more thing"s in the future. We might get the iTunes movie store, an iPhone, and maybe something else. After that, Jobs may very well decide that he's done all he can do for Apple.
Great post.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2006, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by hickey
Serlet was easily the best part of the keynote, and his crazy eye makes him even cooler. And there was trouble understanding him.
I think he was the perfect man for the job, even if he did butcher some words, such as Safari (Saa-far-eye). He was entertaining.

No Time 4 Love Dr. Jones
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2006, 05:05 PM

Judging by his presentation, Scott Forstall looks like the man to replace Jobs at these big events.

kikkoman
Senior User
Aug 9, 2006, 10:42 PM

i actually like the skinny steve. he's always been a thin guy. when he came to apple the 2nd time he was pretty slender but after a few years put on some extra pounds. at one point I actually thought he looked a bit overweight for his type build.

iranfromthezoo
Senior User
Aug 9, 2006, 11:41 PM

maybe he's just burned out a little...

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2006, 12:06 AM

I agree Scott was a welcome breath of fresh air from Apple. It seems everyone else is bad at presenting. Phil... I hate to say it but that man should not be allowed near the stage. I don't care how important he is at Apple... just... no. I wouldn't mind if we start seeing Scott talk about software stuff more. Actually wouldn't be bad if we had Steve kinda working as MC now and again for short bits leaving say Ive to talk about new hardware, and Scott to talk about software.

Phil really can't present well. I actually skipped large parts of the Mac Pro introduction, I felt bad for doing it but I already had a good idea of most of the specs and it was painful!

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2006, 01:23 AM

well, just in case, i have steve's dna

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2006, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by ironknee
well, just in case, i have steve's dna
You know, a good dry cleaners could probably get that stain out.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2006, 04:39 AM

How much was he coughing through the presentation? I've been concerned about that for quite a while.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

©öñFü$íóÑ
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2006, 05:32 AM

Steve Jobs.

-THE- single best thing that has ever happned to Apple.

Don't bully me, I got an Uzi... HOO-HAH!

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2006, 11:23 PM

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2006, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
How much was he coughing through the presentation? I've been concerned about that for quite a while.
I just watched the 1998 MacWorld Boston keynote and he coughed then too. He always does it. I think it's like a nervous tick for him.
Vandelay Industries

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2006, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay
I just watched the 1998 MacWorld Boston keynote and he coughed then too. He always does it. I think it's like a nervous tick for him.
That's true - he has done it for years. But I don't think he coughed like that when he was younger, though. He may have developed asthma later on in life, which would be really crappy.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 15, 2006, 12:42 PM

I think Steve needs to visit my web site for some diet advice.

Come on Steve, you know you want to...

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

hayesk
Aug 16, 2006, 09:21 PM

If Steve was a Hollywood actor, everyone would be saying how great he looks lately.

Funny, how when you take people out of showbiz, we have a different standard of skinny and fat.

Monique
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2006, 11:49 AM

But, you see that what happen to skinny people when they get old they look older and saggy.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2006, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Monique
But, you see that what happen to skinny people when they get old they look older and saggy.
Fat old people aren't a treat for the eyes either...

Forum Links
Forum Rules