Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > No Sound Ipod

No Sound Ipod
Bristley
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2007, 11:51 AM

My iPod has stopped producing any sound via the earphone socket or from the socket on the bottom of the player - either through my ipod trip auto or from the ipod speaker system I have.
Please any ideas - is there a mute button I don't know about.
I've tried multiple songs which previously played.
However the songs still can be shown and played via iTunes.
5th Gen 30Gb Video
Please help
Thanks in advance

amyjones09
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2007, 04:45 PM

either restor your ipod using itunes and re add all your music, or hold the center circle button plus the play/pause button at the same time for 5 seconds and restart it and see if that works

chickencat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2007, 03:05 PM

Hey. My ipod just did the same sorta thing. Yesterday it sounded a little scratchy and then it went silent. It's still isn't playing anything. This is for both the headphones and when plugged in from the bottom. So, I just wanted to know if restoring the ipod worked for you.

~Thanks

drakunis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2007, 05:28 PM

Same exact thing happened to me. I was watching a video and the sound got scratchy and disappeared. I plugged it into my DLO FM transmitter, nothing. After playing with the bottom jack a bit I have gotten momentary blips of sound. I have a 5th generation Ipod Video. Other people have said to take it in, but my 1 year warranty is up. Is there any home solutions for this, I really don't want to shill out $250 for a new ipod. I tried the 5 R's, still nothing. Thanks in advance for any help.
-Also thought I would add that the Ipod easily connects to the computer and I can play audio files off of it. I am completely baffled, I thought it was just a communication error between the ports, but after reformatting it nothing has changed. I think the thing broken
( Last edited by drakunis; Nov 1, 2007 at 06:19 PM. )

drakunis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2007, 02:28 PM

Ok, to make things more bizarre, it works now. I have no idea why, or how long it will last, can anyone help?

-- Ok, so on a whim I put the Ipod in front of my cars A/C vent and when it got cold it started playing like nothing was wrong, but when it warmed back up the music stopped. If the other people with this problem wanna try getting it cold it would be interesting to see the results. It could be a manufacturer defect.
( Last edited by drakunis; Nov 3, 2007 at 01:51 AM. )

Dnunromin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2007, 05:27 PM

Hi All, looking at similar threads, there doese seem to be a common fault with a lot of video pods, no sound from headphones or docking connector, some find that pinching bottom right of the ipod brings sound back, but only while you have pressure there, did not work on my pod :-(
As for drakunis that is a typical sign of contact failure, when unit warms up a bad contact will open up (no sound) and contract when cold (sound again). i have heard of this with another when someone had to put his unit in a fridge for it to work.

The only solution for this i think is new logic board, (will let you know as i have one in the post)

P.S opening up th ipod is easy, start opposite end of screen and slide an old credit card type thingie between the seam and work your way round it.

dabuls
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2008, 02:11 PM

Hey!

I think the same thing has happened to my 30GB video iPod. It was in my bag while I was having lunch out in the sun. My iPod got really hot and when I tried to listen to music afterwards the earphones gave a steady clicking noise. Cooling down didn't help and ever since then (almost a week now) the iPod doesn't work.

Does anyone know how to fix it? Is it worth bringing it to Apple?

nick_stroke
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2008, 04:22 AM

Same sort of problem. Started hearing crackling noises for about one minute, then the sound completely shut off. Can still hear the clicker sound, just not the music. Obviously nothing wrong with the jack, must be a software problem? Any help would be appreciated.

controlwizard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2008, 11:35 PM

soooo I tried the fridge and it worked! Wierd and obviously a concern that something is indeed awry inside that opens a gate cutting off sound.

Had left it in there for 3 hrs. Actually forgot aobut it but needed another beer. Beer, pizza and now ipods.

lrdraper489
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2008, 03:34 AM

THERE IS HOPE!

the pod has become people's life line. its a way of saying who you are and what you listen to. believe it or not, the freezer trick WORKS!!! i have a 5th gen video ipod that quit playing sound one day. it showed it was playing but i heard no sound. i read tons of threads and feeds with much concern. just when i was gonna give up, i said what the "h" and tried it with a slight variation. instead of putting it the freezer with the possiblity of forgeting it, i use a flexible gel ice pack and wrapped the ipod in it for about 5 minutes. to my suprise, the ipod PLAYS WITH SOUND again!!! if you've lost hope and all else has failed, give this method a try. what do you have to lose other than your temper. try it, it saved me money and heartache!

the principle behind this is expansion and contraction of the metal surfaces in the bearings of the ipods hdd, if the bearings have seized up freezing could help free up the bearings and let the hdd platters spin again, plus this is only a temporary fix or so i've been told.
( Last edited by lrdraper489; May 26, 2008 at 03:47 AM. Reason: new info)

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2008, 03:06 AM

How long does this temporary fix last? My 5th gen iPod was experiencing the same problem. I popped it in the freezer for 10 mins and now everything works fine.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

purpldolph
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2008, 11:34 AM

I had the same thing happen to my iPod yesterday and cooling it down made it work temporarily. I am wondering if anyone has found a permanent solution. Please let me know. Thanks
( Last edited by purpldolph; May 28, 2008 at 12:07 PM. )

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2008, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
How long does this temporary fix last? My 5th gen iPod was experiencing the same problem. I popped it in the freezer for 10 mins and now everything works fine.
That worries me... the only other time I've heard use of a freezer trick is in the case of dying hard drives.

purpldolph
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2008, 01:06 PM

Does your ipod still work or was it just a temporary fix?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2008, 04:34 PM

Temporary fix. I was able to use it for about an hour until the sound went again. I'll try it one more time when I get home tonight.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

chuckpederson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2008, 02:34 AM

Hey, same problem -- no sound, but i had just dropped my ipod flat on the floor from waist height before ...

So i took it apart, pulled apart the back plate connector from the logic board, removed the harddrive, checked all the other connections, put it back together and .... nothing.

So i turned it on and was just moving it around, when I noticed if I held it between my thumb and forefinger and squeezed gently in the left middle of the screen sound started to sputter and there was static-y popping sounds. About a minute of pressing and releasing (gently) the sound came back.

BTW, lrdraper489's explanations about bearings in the hd makes no sense. If you had a harddrive problem it wouldn't just be that sound wasn't coming out -- nothing would be happening and you would see a sad little ipod icon.

BTW, hard driv

elduderino
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2008, 10:38 AM

I have an 80 gig Video that is 18 months old. After a long itunes session (USB 1.0 on my PowerBook) I plugged into my BMW iPod cable, scratchy noise, then no audio.

After trying amny other things I tried this freezer trick, and it worked for only a short while as well.

This is indicative of a bad solder connection on the board. As the unit heats up, the connection breaks, and when the unit gets cold, the connection is better.

But with an iPod, I suspect finding such a bad connection is not easy.

Anyone know of a good source for such a repair? My iPod is pristine other than the fact that it doesn't work as an audio player

AndrewHuff
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2008, 06:34 AM

Hey, this is exactly what happened to my 30GB ipod speakers, it broke playing while I was listening jazz music and both the ear phones stopped functioning. The crazy part was that after I restarted it working automatically.

arborwood
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2008, 10:16 PM

Last week, I fell asleep on the couch with my 30 gig iPod video playing. When I awoke, I found that the exterior protective case was steamed up and the sound from the iPod was scratchy. I pulled the headphone jack out, tested the headphones in my laptop, and found they were OK. Upon inserting the headphone jack into the iPod again, I found that the sound was completely gone. The hard drive was still playing and new songs could be selected, but no sound was forthcoming. I then tested the iPod in my car, where I have an adapter that takes sound from the port on the bottom of the iPod, and found no sound there either. I restored the iPod successfully and resynched it to iTunes, but it still offered no sound. I discovered that cooling the iPod in the refrigerator restored the sound, but only until the iPod warmed back up (10 minutes or so). I also discovered that running a finger up and down the front face, just to the right of the click wheel, would generate brief bursts of music and loud pops. I took it to my local Apple Store, but they were unable to help (it was out of warrantee by a few months) and they referred me to a third-party repair company, iResQ! I sent it off to iResQ!, hoping it was a bad cable connection or the like. This afternoon, they called back to tell me that this problem arose from a malfunctioning main circuit board and was essentially irreparable (given the cost of replacing that board). I don't wish to discourage those of you who are having similar symptoms, but my iPod is a goner. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

warnergt
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2008, 11:46 PM

I popped open my 80GB video iPod with the "No Sound" problem and took a look around. I found that if I cooled a specific part or placed pressure on it, the iPod would play. Here is a picture showing the part (excuse the size):

warnergt
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2008, 12:22 AM

Believe it or not, I think I just fixed my iPod with the "No Sound" problem. I'll explain what I did.

My hypothesis was that there was a bad solder joint on that component. That's why cooling it (compression/expansion) or pressure on it made the iPod work. So the solution would be to reflow the solder enough to reestablish a solid connection.

I actually performed this fix with the iPod powered on and running. Repeat this exercise at your own risk. I used a Panavise to hold the hard drive and metal backplate out of my way. I used the wooden end of a Q-tip style dowel to put pressure on the device. I used a heat gun to heat the device and the solder around it. While placing pressure on the device -- more specifically, the left edge of the device which seemed more sensitive during my probing -- I heated the left area of the device with a heat gun. These heat guns get very hot; there is a fine line between just enough heat and too much heat. I heated it up for just a short period (maybe 5-10 seconds). I started to smell something (good signal to stop [or you went too far]) and removed the heat while still maintaining as much pressure as I could get on the device. I allowed the device and solder to cool for about 20-30 seconds while maintaining pressure. I even blew on it some to speed the process.

The whole time I did this, I was listening to it play with my earbuds. It continued to play. It's still playing now. I hope it continues to play for a long time.

Here's a picture of me repairing the iPod:

warnergt
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2008, 09:21 AM

Day 2 now and my repaired iPod is still working.

uncmatt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2008, 11:38 AM

warnergt, is your fix still working? The same thing just happened to me--18 months or so old 30GB 5th generation. Applying pressure in that mid-right front glass area only temporarily fixes the problem, but I am looking for something more permanent. I may go by the local Apple store today and see what they say. I have been reading in the Apple forums that Apple is aware of this and, if lucky, you can talk to the right people at their 1-800 customer service number to get it replaced under a "warranty exception". I am definitely out of warranty, so I don't know exactly what warranty exception means. Some in those forums were also able to get replacements or 10% off at the Apple store. So I'm going to press my luck. I will send an update when I get it. In the meantime, please send any updates our way!

warnergt
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2008, 02:47 PM

Day 4 now and my repaired iPod is still working. I even left it in the car for two days -- some believe this is what makes them go bad (i.e. temperature extremes). It still works like a champ. There have been absolutely no problems since the fix.

uncmatt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2008, 03:39 PM

warner, glad to hear that your fix is still working. There is hope, perhaps for us all who are experiencing the same thing. I will likely try the same thing you did myself. I will probably use a cold soldering tool to pin-point the solder connection that you picture to give it a fresh, tighter connection.

I'm fairly handy with electronics, circuits, and tools. Even so, I am a bit leery though to open up my iPod to attempt the job. I have seen several videos and walkthroughs on dismantling the face and inner parts, but I wonder how well it closed back up when you were done? Did it go back together easily and with a good, tight seal? Can you tell that you opened it afterwards?

I will keep updated to the thread my progress on the self-fix.

warnergt
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2008, 04:05 PM

If I had total access to the circuit board, I may have tried a soldering iron. The component is kind of in a recess and, with the backplate and hard drive hanging off of the board, it was difficult to access. I didn't want to disconnect anything for fear of not being able to put it back together.

The iPod went back together just fine. It just snaps back together. Getting the blue, rubbery plastic on the sides of the hard drive tucked in just right took a minute or two but was no big deal.

My resealed iPod looks pretty good but there is some minor marring on the plastic side where I was prying it open with a screwdriver. When opening it, I certainly wasn't as careful as I could have been. It was kind of a "damn the torpedoes" experiment. I had a useless iPod and it was unknown if I could salvage it. Keeping it in pristine looking condition wasn't a priority for me.

When you open yours, use a thin, wide blade to get between the plastic and metal sides of the case and pry it open while spreading the force over a wide area of the plastic side. I used a narrow screwdriver that pressed into the plastic and made little indentations.

uncmatt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2008, 10:38 AM

warner, thanks for the encouragement to open up my iPod. I am definitely glad that I did and it was easy to do with a little care not to damage the casings. My own diagnosis on the circuits was done with a wooden tip similar to the one you used. My poking and prodding around in the same area as yours, however, did not fix my problem (again, my problem was sound only from the left ear).

So I went to the headphone jack circuit area because I noticed in my prodding that touching that area made the right headphone fire up. After some very pinpointed poking around on those circuits at the headphone jack, I determined that the loose circuit connection was in the circuits very near the headphone jack, not the same area that you fixed yours. I don't know if that means our problems (and those of others) are different from each other. Or if they are somehow related, but more than likely its a different problem... in your case a board malfunction/meltdown, in mine a worn or melted headphone circuit.

It seems, by looking at the lousy and damaged headphone jack circuitry, that repetitive pulling in and out of the headphone plug into the jack might loosen it or break one of the circuits over time (in my case, quite often because I connect the iPod in my car via headphone jack and also use my iPod for 5-6 hours at work daily).

A quick google search yielded me very clear and easy instructions (with photos) on how to safely take out the headphone jack and hold switch buttons, and all the circuitry between them.

Instructions for opening iPod, removing headphone jack set-up, and reinstalling:
How to Fix a Broken Headphone Jack for a 5th Generation iPod Video, 30Gb or 60Gb - wikiHow

Another quick search on ebay using the keywords "ipod 5th gen headphone jack" gave me a new OEM replacement piece for $5.99+6.00 shipping that includes the headphone jack, hold button switch, and brand new circuits. Be careful, though... 30GB video and 60GB video have a totally different jack set-up. Be sure you are finding the right circuit specific to your iPod.

I have pictured the whole replacement set-up that I purchased below
The replacement should arrive next week and I will definitely update the forum when the new headphone jack is installed. The install will be really easy because I know from taking the jack set-up out exactly where everything will plug back into. I just hope I can get those tiny screws back in without losing them!

warnergt
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2008, 02:24 PM

Day 6 and my iPod finally stopped working again. It was working this morning. It was in my car and in the heat. I went out this afternoon and no sound again. If I squeezed the case, I could get the sound to return momentarily.

uncmatt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2008, 01:35 PM

Warner, sorry your repair didn't work! As I mentioned before, it sounds like we had different problems.

For anyone who is having the one ear sound/ no sound problem and are able to get it to work by squeezing the case, then I would suggest trying to pinpoint where it is that you are squeezing to determine which internal area of the iPod the problem is located. For me, I squeezed at the lower right corner of the video screen and was able to get it to work. Opening the case confirmed definitively where it was and voila-- I ordered the replacement very quickly and cheaply. Some describe squeezing even lower, near the touch wheel. Those who have that problem down in the main circuit board area under the hard drive unfortunately have a bigger and more expensive problem on their hands.

I won't go into any elaborate details on my own fix and replacement of the headphone/ hold button circuitry because it is detailed very well on the link I posted above. But do know that is was easy to do... 30 min. to open the thing and to diagnose/pinpoint the problem... another 30 min. to carefully disconnect the battery and sound circuits and remove the bad piece. And another 30 min. to carefully install the new piece and close it back up. 90 min. that saved me $199 on the cost of a new iPod.

I wouldn't encourage just anyone to go about doing this, but it is not rocket science either. It just takes patience, the right tools (small screw drivers), and a steady hand messing with those TINY screws.

It is now producing crystal clear sound from both ears-- good as the day I opened it new. Success!!

Byronjr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2008, 11:54 AM

Mine started doing this yesterday; it looks like the summer heat got to it. I took it apart and looked in your circle area and have spotted what looks like 5 pairs of contacts to the west (directions if u were looking at the front of the upright ipod) of your big black component. I will upload a picture when I get home but counting from the top down, contacts 3 and 4 appear to be the only two connected. Should they be or should i remove that connection? Anyone have detailed pictures of a working mainboard?

P.S. Just a word of advice to people, if the ipod tells you some kind of error message or will not cooperate, be patient. I had a failing hard drive face only to stick it in the freezer for 5 minutes and it works again. I just had it tell me to connect to a computer to restore but putting it back in seemingly the way it fits together, it operates just fine. Cannot wait to get it fixed, good luck to you all.
( Last edited by Byronjr; Jul 22, 2008 at 01:08 PM. Reason: to prevent loss of prospectively working units)

jgund
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2008, 01:38 PM

MIne just started acting up the other day and finally died. It is a 30GB Black video. If I pinch just to the bottom right of the click wheel I can get sound to come out. Does anybody know which part this would be in order for me to make an attempt to replace? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Byronjr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2008, 01:45 PM

sorry, i have had little to no luck with pressure myself, sometimes random places would play a second of sound then die again. I assume its because the pressure is being placed on the hard drive but then to what? as with any computer, there should only be one place causing the same problem for everyone.

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardw...deo-ipod.ars/6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyWcYnHGinw
( Last edited by Byronjr; Jul 22, 2008 at 02:24 PM. )

sangita
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2008, 04:14 PM

Well, it doesn't look good for all those experiencing no sound out of the Ipod. The freezer thing works for just a few minutes. Has anyone sent their Ipod in for repair? If so, what was the cost? Has anyone successfully repaired their own Ipod with the problem of no sound out of both ear buds?

DeltaFlare
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2008, 10:07 AM

Same problem here. Another thread recommended calling Apple and stated that being polite would get them to replace the ipod even out of warranty. Number is 1-800-275-2273, just wait on the line past the first round of options. Didn't work for me, but maybe if enough people call and complain they'll get the memo.

Guess I'll be haggling with the people in the Apple store now...

benyhill
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2008, 03:12 AM

like "warnergt" i got a broken ( no sound ) ipod classic 80gb and seams to hava the same trouble did what warnergt told but whit a soldering iron i felt the litle chip melting back in place and work realy good im now at day one and it seams solid think maybe for warnergt u juste dint warm it enoft to realy resold it

for every one that experiencing this particuliar probleme ( easy to find out juste press in the lower rigth corner) its the rigth fixe

so tank you warnergt

btheb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2008, 01:02 AM

Benyhill can you be more specific as to where that little chip is. I think I'm going in. (Same symptoms everything)You would think this is so widespread someone would post a fix with pictures.(to many people have the same exact symptoms) Apple knows. This seems like Planned Obsolescence. I'm 6 months out of warranty and I'm hooked. Gotta have an Ipod. Used to be able to buy'em at costco and bring 'em back anytime for any reason. Anyway any more tips or pics give us an update. Is it still working?

btheb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2008, 03:44 PM

This is from a post at apples site where alot of people have the same prob. I tried it and it worked!they are sending me a box to send it to them and supposedly I'll get a new one with a 90 day warranty. My ipod is out of warranty.See below

Take your iPods out of the freezer...Apple has finally acknowledged this problem and are doing something about it!

After my first call to Apple almost a month ago, I was quite mad with Apple and their Customer Service Reps and resorted to dusting off my battery-eating CD/mp3 player. Today I finally decided to brave the hold music and try again, and actually got somewhere - I should be receiving an e-mail from a Product Specialist tomorrow with details on my replacement iPod.

As many people have seem to have reached dead ends after calling Customer Support (myself included!) I thought I would share the plan of attack that worked for me:

1. Call the Customer Support for iPod number: 1-800-275-2273. I just kept hitting 0 so I didn't have to listen to the automated iPod diagnosing junk.

2. Tell the first person you speak with that your iPod no longer has any sound. Explain that when you apply pressure to the lower right hand corner of the iPod the sound will return, but when pressure is released it goes away again. Tell them it is a manufacturing defect and that you would like to speak with a Representative who can refer your case to a Product Specialist. (If they tell you your product is no longer under warranty, let them know it does not matter in this case, and to please go ahead and transfer you).

3. The Customer Care Representative. Tell them everything you told the first person. MAKE SURE YOU TELL THEM ABOUT THE PRESSURE ON THE CORNER ISSUE! This is apparently key to them understanding/diagnosing the problem. If they say they have never heard of it being an issue, tell them it was only recently (within the past month or so) noted by Apple, and that the Product Specialist/Engineers should know exactly what the deal is.

4. At this point, they should be telling you that they see it is in fact a problem, and that there is something that can be done! If they are still giving you the run-around, let them know it has definitely been noted by Apple and that you would like the matter to be handled properly! If you need to, ask them to refer you someone else, and to refer you to the Product Specialist regardless of whether or not they are informed on the issue.

5. Hopefully by now you should have been either referred to the Product Specialists, or the Representative will have talked to them for you. The woman I spoke with just put me on hold for a few minutes while talking to them, and returned to tell me that I didn't even have to speak with them myself, and to just give her my address and E-Mail. She said someone would be contacting me shortly and that I should receive a new iPod within a week or so. She apologized for my treatment before and was very polite and helpful.

In all, I was on the phone for a little over 30 minutes, and most of it was holding before reaching the Customer Service Rep. Compared to the almost 1 1/2 hours before with no results, it was like night and day. Hopefully this can help some of you guys out, even if you've called before. The Rep even deleted my previous "case" and gave me a new one. Just be straight to the point and tell them exactly what the problem is, and what needs to be done. Good luck!!

Windows XP

hez
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2008, 04:37 PM

I was a little suspicious...maybe btheb was just lucky. NO! I just got off the phone with Apple and my DHL box will be here tomorrow! The instructions were perfect. The first rep will in fact tell you your unit is out of warranty. They'll also tell you it sounds like the headphone port is in need of repair. Very politely ask to speak with a Product Specialist or Engineer "just to make sure." It is absolutely imperative that you tell them you CAN get sound but only when you press on the lower right corner. The first and only transfer I had to sit through was a bit lengthy (approx. 20 minutes) but a PS named Ashley answered and was excellent to work with. She assured me that in situations like this, Apple stands behind its products. I'll be getting an all new parts refurb with a 90 day warranty. I also confirmed I can repeat the process if the refurb has the same issues. Good luck!

cowboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2008, 01:45 PM

So I failed! Tell me, are your iPods still under warranty? Mine is out and they wanted me to spend $129 to send it in if there was a unrepairable fault, I would still have to pay $129! Did I misunderstand something?? Any tips. I ended up getting frustrated and hanging up!

Thanks

Payback2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2008, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
So I failed! Tell me, are your iPods still under warranty? Mine is out and they wanted me to spend $129 to send it in if there was a unrepairable fault, I would still have to pay $129! Did I misunderstand something?? Any tips. I ended up getting frustrated and hanging up!

Thanks

Same for me and I'm not under warranty. I told them to go stick it for that price.

fusiondj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2008, 07:10 PM

I followed the directions of btheb and when I was on the phone with the customer representative she told me she could not transfer me. I demanded that she put me on the phone with a supervisor so he can put me onwith a product specialist. So she proceeds to put me on hold (twice) and finally transfers me to the product specialist. Once on the phone with him he did acknowledge that it has been a problem and got my information to send me a box from DHL. btheb thanks for the help and just wanted to let everyone know that it did work and don't take no for an answer.

zenazure
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2008, 11:04 PM

This advice worked, I just received a brand new 120 gig ipod! Thanks!! (zenazure)

Originally Posted by btheb View Post
This is from a post at apples site where alot of people have the same prob. I tried it and it worked!they are sending me a box to send it to them and supposedly I'll get a new one with a 90 day warranty. My ipod is out of warranty.See below

Take your iPods out of the freezer...Apple has finally acknowledged this problem and are doing something about it!

After my first call to Apple almost a month ago, I was quite mad with Apple and their Customer Service Reps and resorted to dusting off my battery-eating CD/mp3 player. Today I finally decided to brave the hold music and try again, and actually got somewhere - I should be receiving an e-mail from a Product Specialist tomorrow with details on my replacement iPod.

As many people have seem to have reached dead ends after calling Customer Support (myself included!) I thought I would share the plan of attack that worked for me:

1. Call the Customer Support for iPod number: 1-800-275-2273. I just kept hitting 0 so I didn't have to listen to the automated iPod diagnosing junk.

2. Tell the first person you speak with that your iPod no longer has any sound. Explain that when you apply pressure to the lower right hand corner of the iPod the sound will return, but when pressure is released it goes away again. Tell them it is a manufacturing defect and that you would like to speak with a Representative who can refer your case to a Product Specialist. (If they tell you your product is no longer under warranty, let them know it does not matter in this case, and to please go ahead and transfer you).

3. The Customer Care Representative. Tell them everything you told the first person. MAKE SURE YOU TELL THEM ABOUT THE PRESSURE ON THE CORNER ISSUE! This is apparently key to them understanding/diagnosing the problem. If they say they have never heard of it being an issue, tell them it was only recently (within the past month or so) noted by Apple, and that the Product Specialist/Engineers should know exactly what the deal is.

4. At this point, they should be telling you that they see it is in fact a problem, and that there is something that can be done! If they are still giving you the run-around, let them know it has definitely been noted by Apple and that you would like the matter to be handled properly! If you need to, ask them to refer you someone else, and to refer you to the Product Specialist regardless of whether or not they are informed on the issue.

5. Hopefully by now you should have been either referred to the Product Specialists, or the Representative will have talked to them for you. The woman I spoke with just put me on hold for a few minutes while talking to them, and returned to tell me that I didn't even have to speak with them myself, and to just give her my address and E-Mail. She said someone would be contacting me shortly and that I should receive a new iPod within a week or so. She apologized for my treatment before and was very polite and helpful.

In all, I was on the phone for a little over 30 minutes, and most of it was holding before reaching the Customer Service Rep. Compared to the almost 1 1/2 hours before with no results, it was like night and day. Hopefully this can help some of you guys out, even if you've called before. The Rep even deleted my previous "case" and gave me a new one. Just be straight to the point and tell them exactly what the problem is, and what needs to be done. Good luck!!

Windows XP

sdfalconer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2008, 04:38 PM

I love the Internet! My husband's iPod did the no sound thing last weekend so he's been taking mine
Today I searched out the fix and came across this post. Tried the freezer trick and wow it worked.
It works fine if I keep it cool so I have it charging/playing next to the computer, it's sitting on top of a cold pack that's wrapped in a towel (to keep condensation down ). About 3 hours of playing and it's playing like new.

lotoarmy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2008, 12:54 PM

Hey, the information above works!!

I had the same sound problem related to temperature with my Ipod 30 Gig Video.

When I called, I got the generic "out of warranty" response from the first person. I then explained that Apple was aware of the problem and they were already doing and "Out of Warranty" exception on this problem. I told him I wanted to talk to a Customer Care Rep or Product Specialist that was familiar with the problem. He said he would put me on hold and make the call and get back with me. He did and another representative came back on in about 15 minutes. She said they were aware of the problem and would take care of it. Hold again for about 5 minutes and she came back, got my address, said the DHL box would arrive in 1-2 business days, send the Ipod back, and in 5-6 days after that I would receive another unit. The key statement by me seemed to be "Warranty Exception".

I was very impressed. Thanks to everyone that posted to help solve this problem.

petallotus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2008, 10:22 PM

Thanks for the advice btheb. I followed your instructions to the letter. They are shipping me a brand new 120gb in place of my 80gb. Thanks so much.

siobhanmt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2008, 04:27 PM

I was just wondering if anyone has managed to get their ipod replaced in the UK as I have exactly the same issue and putting it in the freezer hasn't resolved it? Has anyone tried emailing apple?

Lauren4818
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2008, 09:38 AM

Success!! The instructions were perfect, the key is just getting through to the product specialist. They confirmed it was a problem that Apple is investigating and then asked if they could replace mine to bring it in and test it. They replaced my 3 year old 30GB iPod with a brand new classic 120GB iPod! I'm so glad Apple stands behind their products and helped me out, they've definitely got my loyalty now!!

MysteryRoach
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2008, 01:02 PM

hmmm..... I thought I went through the steps posted by btheb, the specialist did acknowlege that they are aware of the problem, however I had to supply a credit card number in case I didn't return the defective ipod when I received the replacement. Then I get a confirmation email with a total estimated cost of $193.xx.

Anyone else have this experience?

64stang06
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2008, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by MysteryRoach View Post
hmmm..... I thought I went through the steps posted by btheb, the specialist did acknowlege that they are aware of the problem, however I had to supply a credit card number in case I didn't return the defective ipod when I received the replacement. Then I get a confirmation email with a total estimated cost of $193.xx.

Anyone else have this experience?
Is it out of warranty? Usually Apple will only give an extension to someone who has called in for the problem before the warranty ran out and if they can verify that the issue is still going on, they'll use the original case to create the order. If you called when it was out of warranty and never before, you'll end up paying the cost for a replacement.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

klaczak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2008, 05:05 PM

i just made an account to post in this thread, because i felt the need to. thank you btheb!! i followed the instructions to a tee and i CAN say that it works!

the key, like he said, is getting to the Product Specialist. do not get bogged down in the Customer Service Reps! they dont really know about the issue yet and will just point you to a local Apple store.

i have a restored faith in Apple...i was very close to jumping ship and buying a Zune, but this experience made me much more confident in Apple as a company.

ill be getting a DHL box within 24-78 hours. i didnt get as lucky as some and strike gold with a free 120gb classic, but ill settle for a free replacement 30gb video =)

btw, my warranty HAD expired and i have NEVER called Apple for any reason before. so dont let that be an excuse for them to close the door on you.

trust me, it does work. just dont take no for an answer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules