Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Program/Method for designing a flash-like movie?

Program/Method for designing a flash-like movie?
Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2011, 11:52 AM

Need to develop a movie of a faux-website with slide-out/pop-up menus (i.e. clicking on the “notifications” button on facebook or any flash website)

I have all the PNG’s that make up the "website", and now just need to make a flash-like movie of someone using it.

Would prefer to make the animations of the website (i.e. a side bar expanding, a notification popping up) while being able to go back and change the actual PNGs involved in the animations later.

From people I have asked so far, I have been pointed to Scriptalicious and JQuery. I don’t know code, so Jquery looks pretty intimidating. I am willing to learn and believe I could get a good grasp on it if I really try, but I am just checking to see if there is anything out there.

One thing I have noticed is Adobe Flash Catalyst…where it says you can build animations without coding, but I don’t know that much about it, and if it supports the idea of going back and eventually changing the PNGs like I would prefer.

And what would be REALLY great, is if I could make the “movie” interactive, like a real flash thing (click a button and then have the animation occur)…but I’m cool with just making a .flv or something if I have to.

So in a jist, my questions are:

What program/platform can I use? (Flash, Java, anything else available?)
Would I be able to go back and edit the PNG’s involved?
How should I go about to make the actual movie once it is complete?
blah

andi*pandi
Mar 3, 2011, 01:01 PM

Are you just trying to make a movie? Is your faux-website just in photoshop? If you have no need to ever have your faux website be real html, learning jquery or scriptaculous seems a waste. I think you'd be better off with Flash, or you could even do it in powerpoint.

In Flash you can replace images used in symbols and the symbols update. Flash exports as .mov.

Jolt21  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2011, 01:34 PM

Yea, no need to make the actual website...just making a movie

Is there any way to make the flash interactive without putting it on a website?

Thanks for the help!
blah

andi*pandi
Mar 3, 2011, 01:59 PM

You can have view the flash in flash player just on your desktop, and I guess record interacting with it with Snapz Pro, but it really sounded like your goal was to mimic interactive in the movie. So you can have a little .png of the mouse hand, animate it clicking on a button, have the button expand, move the mouse graphic, etc. Right?

Jolt21  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2011, 02:31 PM

This is true, I can try that. Thanks for the idea
blah

Forum Links
Forum Rules