Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Replacing the battery in a Performa 6400

Replacing the battery in a Performa 6400
MrTomServo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 26, 1999, 01:55 PM

It seems everything needs batteries over the holidays, even the Hubble Space Telescope.

My Performa's no different. My computer's been behaving strangely for the last few months, and I've been able to circumvent the symptoms until now.

This is what happens: I have a Sonnet G3 upgrade card, and am used to the computer going nice and fast. Recently, however, it decides that it doesn't want to go fast anymore -- faster than the old 200 MHz processor, but noticeably slower than the G3.

A good example is that the SETI@Home software (used to process data from the search for extra-terrestrials project) takes about twice as long per packet of data. My old 200 MHz processor can't finish a packet in a few days, so I know it's not that slow.

Until now, I was able to make the computer "go fast" again by shutting down all the way, and booting, instead of doing a soft restart.

Now, the only way I can get it to "go fast" again is to zap the parameter RAM while I'm starting.

However, the usual symptom of having the clock lose its time has only happened once, and that was as a result of me zapping the PRAM, I think.

So, I figured that I needed a new battery. Fine and dandy. I looked on everymac.com, and they said I needed a 4.5V alkaline battery. I think I can get one at Fry's.

MY QUESTION IS (and you've all been waiting for this one) how do I install it safely? If I take out the old battery, will it trash all my data, or destroy my motherboard?

Thanks, all! And a happy new year to you -- we'll all be doing just fine, as opposed to those *other* computers ...

MacNN Member of the Day: 28 June 2001, 7 July 2001

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 26, 1999, 06:17 PM

Battery replacement shouldn't do anything to your system other than make it perform properly again.

I would also try reseating your processor upgrade, if the battery doesn't do it.

drewman

macopz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 1999, 01:46 AM

i know for a fact you can get one at RadioShack, i don't know about fry's, we don't have one. Anyhow, as with anything electronic, i would be careful installing and be sure to take your time, don't rush into it. you may even be so paranoid as to wear one of those rubber cleaning gloves (make sure to get a fresh pair straight out of the package) i would also suggest getting some canned air and blowing as much dust out as you can. be careful, and look before ya leap, that's all i can say. this advice compliments of the MacOpz staff http://www.macopz.com

------------------
;-) MacOpz
;-) MacOpz

MrTomServo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 1999, 12:26 PM

It's a funny thing, actually. I went into Radio Shack yesterday (on a whim -- I needed two "C" size batteries for a new change counter I got for Christmas) and I asked the counter-guy if he had 4.5V Alkaline batteries.

Let's call this guy "perpetually-grumpy Radio Shack Manager." They all have one. He's been in the business since 1971, and doesn't understand why you don't go over and buy a breadboard and make your own darn system. But I digest.

He said "Way-ll, you'd have to bring it in. Wait! A Macintosh, you say? No, we don't have any Macintosh parts."

Okee dokey. So I came home, and used Sherlock to shop for one, and I found a business just a few miles from me, Alltech Electronics in Oceanside, CA, that sells them. US$10 (Part# BAT008R, Ray-O-Vac 840, square, 4-pin connector, and a little square of velcro to make sure it doesn't flop around in there).

Pretty good deal, I figure. So I may take a nice drive up there and get one.

And thanks macops for the advice on the rubber gloves. It's been unnervingly dry and static-y around here lately ... seems like every time I touch the doorknob, I get 10,000V of current running up my arm.

I know, "It's not the volts that'll kill ya. It's the amps." Still. It's not pleasant.

So, wish me luck. Hopefully the next post will announce some success.

MrTomServo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 1999, 03:53 PM

Good news ... I went to that place in Oceanside and got my battery!

I put on the rubber gloves, popped open the system, and installed the new battery. The toughest part was un-sticking the velcro -- Apple must have put in the NASA-grade stuff that you need a LOT of leverage to undo.

Anyway, turned the computer back on, and presto! Works like a charm. The clock was wrong when I started for the first time, but that's to be expected, I guess.

Thanks, everyone, for your help! I swear, I can't find nicer people than the ones in these forums!

Happy New Year to you all, too!

macopz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 1999, 01:25 AM

glad to have been a help to you.

------------------
;-) MacOpz
;-) MacOpz

Forum Links
Forum Rules