Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Apple store is awesome! overnight shipping!

Apple store is awesome! overnight shipping!
yuliang
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2002, 08:39 PM

gripes about prices aside, don't you guys think the Apple store's just awesome in its logistical policies? I got an email on Wednesday afternoon saying my Jaguar package shipped and on Thursday morning before noon I got my long awaited OS upgrade. They had shipped it Airborne Express overnight, FOR FREE!
Anthony Wu
- - - - - - - - - -
Titanium PowerBook G4/550 - X 10.2
Beige PowerMac G3/500 - X 10.1
HP 751n P4/1.8GHz - XP Pro SP1

PowerBookDude
Aug 22, 2002, 08:45 PM

Mine didn't get upgrade to Airborne Express!!!!!! I still have FedEx 2 Day shipping I even have a tracking number!!!

That stinks!

(I ordered mine on 7-17)

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2002, 09:17 PM

FedEx for me too.

You must rate.

That said: At least it didn't get shipped by UPS.

fulmer
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2002, 09:25 PM

I also have mine coming overnight, but haven't received shipment notification. I rarely receive them, for some reason, and my products always show up before the email comes.

however, airborne express doens't do my route every day--they've told me as much. however, I hope they bring it tomorrow (Friday). Apple sent me that email saying it'd ship wed or thurs.

akebono
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 22, 2002, 10:03 PM

Originally posted by driven:
That said: At least it didn't get shipped by UPS.
Unbreakables are OK with UPS. In fact, I've had many things arrive way ahead of schedule with UPS. FedEx takes all that extra money they charge you and they spend it on big storage buildings to make sure your 2nd day delivery doesn't get there a moment too soon. UPS just ships the bugger.

Of course, UPS has that nasty reputation of misrouting packages.

PowerBookDude
Aug 22, 2002, 10:33 PM

I called FedEx tonight and they said that is should be here by 4:30 tomorrow!!! I REALLY hope they are right!

krove
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2002, 10:44 PM

My copy arrived in Reno @ 8am this morning, but it missed the sorting deadline, so it just sat there all day. I couldn't even pick it up. I called FedEx, and they said it should arrive before 4:30pm tomorrow.

Tomorrow should be great!

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

davidb224
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2002, 10:46 PM

Originally posted by yuliang:
I got an email on Wednesday afternoon saying my Jaguar package shipped and on Thursday morning before noon I got my long awaited OS upgrade. They had shipped it Airborne Express overnight
I ordered my copy of Jaguar online from Apple on Monday at Noon. I also got an email saying that it shipped on Wednesday and it was delivered at 4:00 PM on Thursday by Airborne Express. I'm impressed!

It was very easy to install and I'm using 10.2 now to post this...
davidb

WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 23, 2002, 01:22 AM

The US AppleStore is a damn side better than the P.O.S. AU AppleStore. I ordered Jag on 18 July and I am yet to recieve any e-mails or any status change from Being Assembled. When it does finally ship it will be by Austrlia Post - Our equivalent of UPS.

Wesley

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2002, 01:52 AM

Originally posted by akebono:

Unbreakables are OK with UPS. In fact, I've had many things arrive way ahead of schedule with UPS. FedEx takes all that extra money they charge you and they spend it on big storage buildings to make sure your 2nd day delivery doesn't get there a moment too soon. UPS just ships the bugger.

Of course, UPS has that nasty reputation of misrouting packages.
And as you pointed out ..... destroying anything that has any potential of breaking!

The Shadow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2002, 04:32 AM

Originally posted by WJMoore:
The US AppleStore is a damn side better than the P.O.S. AU AppleStore. I ordered Jag on 18 July and I am yet to recieve any e-mails or any status change from Being Assembled. When it does finally ship it will be by Austrlia Post - Our equivalent of UPS.

Wesley
Same here in the UK!!
It's now 23 August. No change from "Being Assembled" No E-mails and the thing is being shipped by post eventually. You never know, I might have it by next Thursday.

I Pre ordered Jag on 17 July.I may as well have waited, gone to PC World Saturday morning and bought the thing off the shelf.

Not Good Enough Apple

JohnD
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 23, 2002, 05:12 AM

Originally posted by The Shadow:

Same here in the UK!!
It's now 23 August. No change from "Being Assembled" No E-mails and the thing is being shipped by post eventually. You never know, I might have it by next Thursday.

I Pre ordered Jag on 17 July.I may as well have waited, gone to PC World Saturday morning and bought the thing off the shelf.

Not Good Enough Apple
Same in the Netherlands and today is my birthday!
I expected a nice present.
If it still showes Being Reviewed it would indicate delivery on Monday at the earliest.
I will check with the local Apple supplier today and if they have Jag before the store delivery I won't order through the store anymore because it would be the second OS X intro running late at the store.

Abstrakt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2002, 06:04 AM

Same here in the UK!!
Same here in Canada!

The status is still listed as Being Assembled, and there are no signs that it will ship this week. I had even paid extra for FedEx shipping.

This will have been my second and last purchase from the "Canadian" Apple Store, after my misfortunes ordering a TiBook from them. (They charged me $750 worth of Canadian taxes, but cannot provide me with a paper proof of purchase listing those taxes, nor their GST/PST authorization numbers.)

Cheers.

Group51
Senior User
Aug 23, 2002, 06:13 AM

Whoo hoo!!!

It has just arrived at my door (TNT delivery, so that's what the �10 charge was for!).

Oh, the furry X is so lifelike, its lovely!.

Now for a shower and a good few hours of wipe, spank bottom and clean install!

Ship date on the note says 21.08.2002.
( Last edited by Group51; Aug 23, 2002 at 06:21 AM. )

The Shadow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2002, 06:54 AM

Originally posted by Group51:
Whoo hoo!!!

It has just arrived at my door (TNT delivery, so that's what the �10 charge was for!).

Oh, the furry X is so lifelike, its lovely!.

Now for a shower and a good few hours of wipe, spank bottom and clean install!

Ship date on the note says 21.08.2002.
Wouldn't you just know it!
TNT delivered Jag 15 minutes ago. There I was calling Apple all the nasty names I could think of and they come good after all. Oh well I suppose they are the fantastic company I always knew they were. The nerd who updates the Apple Store website order tracker however ought to be taken out back and soundly thrashed for stressing out us loyal customers, unless of course he or she was having a laugh.

Right! Backup and go for it eh?

timmerk
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2002, 07:04 AM

Originally posted by akebono:

FedEx takes all that extra money they charge you and they spend it on big storage buildings to make sure your 2nd day delivery doesn't get there a moment too soon.
Actually, I just got something yesterday, when they shipped it that same day around 1 am, via 2 DAY DELIEVERY !!!!!!! Amazing! and, it was coming from Texas to Michigan.

I am still amazed. :-)

chris.p
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 23, 2002, 07:38 AM

you lot are lucky buggers- i recieved an email from cancomuk last friday, which said they had x.2 available (in stock) and were shipping it already. i ordered from cancomuk on sunday (online). monday i call, to see when it will arive, they said there database wasnt working, but ill get it tuesday. on tuesday i get an email saying apple has prevented them shipping early- not to worry though, im right at the front of the queue for one of the huge number of copies they are sitting on in there warehouse. i call cancomuk (on tues) they inform me it will ship thursday, ill get it friday. call today. im informed that they are awaiting a shipment of jag today,and if it comes in, ill 'probably' get it next tuesday!!! totally out of order. i hate cancom and there bully marketing tactics. im off to write to the head of sales to complain about this one...i want jaguar!!!

note- i knew it wasnt out til sat, but the point is, i only ordered from them because i thought i would get it early. bastads.

Charles Bouldin
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 23, 2002, 08:15 AM

To my amazement, mine came Aug. 22nd. It came FedEx, which is the 2 day shipping? But I had ordered the thing on the .gov order page ($64.50!) so perhaps that was a shorter queue. (BTW, the .gov is legit for me, just to forestall flames...)

morgan
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2002, 08:44 AM

My ground shipping was upgraded as well. The fedex site has my favortie words "On FedEx vehicle for delivery"!

fulmer
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2002, 10:44 AM

me too--on vehicle for delivery. was checking my email until late last night, but no shipping notification. checked this morning and an email said it shipped thursday. on its way here now, and I'll get it today!

dillerX
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2002, 11:13 AM

10:10AM here, and my FedEx guy just dropped my copy off. Awesome, it's Friday, and I thought I wouldn't get it until tomorrow. Coolio.
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

cms
Senior User
Aug 23, 2002, 11:27 AM

Just got mine too, 15:45 GMT . Apple UK deserves a big pat on the back for getting this to me on the day of release. I got a notification of shipping this morning by email, having put my order in on Tuesday afternoon. Yes, that's Tuesday as in exactly 72 hours ago. I now have something really interesting to keep me occupied over the long Bank Holiday weekend.

Cheers Apple!

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2002, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by yuliang:
gripes about prices aside, don't you guys think the Apple store's just awesome in its logistical policies?
In my experience, no. And I posted a thread bitching about it last week. I had Jaguar on order for over a month. Last week they e-mailed me saying to contact my bank because they thought there was a problem with my credit card. I contacted my bank and there was no problem, Apple just screwed the transaction up.

When I called Apple, I was told I would have to speak personally to a rep in their credit card office, but the wait time on the phone would be around 30 minutes or more. There was no way for me to just send them an e-mail to tell them to try the transaction again. I couldn't (and frankly wouldn't) wait 30 minutes to tell Apple to fix a problem they themselves created and I resent the fact that they made fixing it my problem. So I cancelled.

So I guess the answer is that IF things go through smoothly with the online transaction, the Apple store is pretty good. But if you need to speak to a human being, the message I received from Apple customer Service was "take a hike."

I still have that bitter taste in my mouth.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2002, 12:02 PM

Mine's in the truck on the ways here. They confirmed my order yesterday about an hour before they shipped it. hey, 68.53 (total with tax. Government discount was better than Edu.) They're going to get it to me today. Bless their souls.

ShadowKatana
Aug 23, 2002, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by WJMoore:

Wesley
I received an e-mail yesterday from AppleStore AU. They sent mine out already but I probably wont have it by Monday.

PowerBookDude
Aug 23, 2002, 06:04 PM

This makes me so mad!!!

Due to a dang thunderstorm my copy isn't going to be here until Monday!!!! I ordered the first day you could, paid extra for 2nd Day and instead it's coming Monday!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules