Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Ooops - deleted Library file. Er... what now?

Ooops - deleted Library file. Er... what now?
drissa
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2008, 11:27 AM

Following some advice about solving problems with Onyx, I deleted the following -

/System/Library/ScriptingAdditions/StandardAdditions.osax

The advice suggested deleting a duplcate of this file, if one was found. I've deleted the only one. This has rendered Onyx unusable, even after reinstalling and I'm concerned that I may have done other damage too.

Is there any way of ressurecting this file/folder? I hope I don't have to reinstall the OS...

Thanks

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2008, 12:00 PM

Whoa,

I'd be really careful on deleting anything within the /system folder but I guess that warning came too late. If you're on Leopard, you could use TM to restore the file. Actually you could just navigate to the system folder within the TM backup. I suppose you could also check to see if that file is present on your install disc and copy it from there.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2008, 12:02 PM

That's a System Library file you're talking about. There's a reason why /System is locked down - you're not supposed to touch it. Whoever told you to blindly meddle with its contents is a moron or a prankster.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2008, 12:11 PM

Great advice - BigMac is this a dynamic file, or is it standard? I mean, can someone send the OP a copy of theirs, or is this generated based on the setup?

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2008, 12:16 PM

I have it, but we would need to know what version of OSX the OP is running on.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2008, 12:38 PM

So we know it is a static file?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2008, 12:51 PM

It's just part of the standard Applescript library. Nothing dynamic about it.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2008, 12:56 PM

So we just need to find out what version of OSX the OP is running, and mail him a copy?

drissa  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2008, 01:54 PM

You're right - very foolish. I'm getting better with this stuff, but I still manage to get confused between the user and system files.

The advice came from the Titanium Forum admin, but I should stress that he was suggested one delete a duplicate of this file. There was no duplicate and I hurriedly deleted the only one.

By the sound of it, I can copy the file from another machine? I have another machine with the same OS...

Thanks

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2008, 02:08 PM

Yes - that should work.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2008, 04:22 PM

You could just use Pacifist (link) to pull the file out of the packages on the OS X install discs.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2008, 08:43 PM

I never go into the /library file never mind the /system/library file but if I find myself in ~/library I always dupe and/or rename the file and not delete it. Not sure what version of OSX you're running but I'll throw my typical Leopard plug in. That is Time Machine would have saved your bacon because it would have had a backup of that file for you

Forum Links
Forum Rules