Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Petition to print in passports the Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Petition to print in passports the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2008, 02:25 PM

Don't miss the video located here, so damn beautiful.
If the author happens to visit MacNN I would love to hear how do you create such heartwarming thing.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2008, 10:04 PM

Sure, it's heart warming, I'll give you that. The ad got dull after awhile though.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2008, 10:22 PM

Who cares, I don't have to get a new passport until 2011.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2008, 10:27 PM

I am in need of a new passport due to a legal name change--My current passport doesn't expire until 2016--but with the news that the US Government Printing Office contracted out manufacture of the new RFID-enabled passports to a Taiwanese company that had already been a victim of industrial espionage from China means I am holding on to my current passport until I get it taken away from me. What were they thinking at the GPO?

WOOT! This is post 4500 for me. I now have a perfect 1.50 post/day average.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 2, 2008, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
I am in need of a new passport due to a legal name change
Finally got hitched?

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2008, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Finally got hitched?
Yeah. I am now John Jacob Jingleheimer-Schmitt. I have to add the Schmitt to my name now.
( Last edited by dcmacdaddy; Dec 2, 2008 at 11:06 PM. Reason: fixed a stupid typo. Grrr!)
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2008, 11:42 PM

What, so when the corrupt local cop in some third-world village with no electricity is stealing your passport at gunpoint, he's going to see this little printed declaration and suddenly grow a conscience and hand it back?

What is the point? If you're gonna do something besides goof off on the internet, I don't think this is the most valuable use of your resources.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Railroader
Banned
Dec 3, 2008, 12:43 AM

Yeah. I am now John Jacob Jingleheimer-Schmitt. I have to add the Schmitt to my name now.
That's my name too!
( Last edited by Railroader; Dec 3, 2008 at 02:53 AM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2008, 01:09 AM

I want the whole bible printed in there. There.

-t

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2008, 01:27 AM

There should be a petition to fix the sentence structure of that logo.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2008, 03:52 AM

I am in need of a new passport due to a legal name change--My current passport doesn't expire until 2016--but with the news that the US Government Printing Office contracted out manufacture of the new RFID-enabled passports to a Taiwanese company that had already been a victim of industrial espionage from China means I am holding on to my current passport until I get it taken away from me. What were they thinking at the GPO?
I have contacts with the people working on the new passports...

I wouldn't worry too much about information getting leaked on the passports in China. The RFID chip only contains the same information written in the passport, and nobody can get anywhere with the chip alone. The RFID chip is designed to be used in tandem with biometrics stored on a government server, such as your fingerprint or your iris scan.

Even if someone made a duplicate of your RFID chip, they'd have to be able to also fake your body. The real purpose of the chip is so that the government can quickly look up your info in a biometrics database to verify your identity. The chip alone is pretty useless.

Much ado about nothing really.

Personally, I'm more worried about your biometrics being sent over internet connections in other countries...
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

calverson
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2008, 03:18 AM

3 letters to describe the eventuality of this thread:

P W L

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2008, 06:05 AM

Does anybody believe that the people who violate the Universal Declaration of Human Rights don't KNOW that they're doing this?

I mean: Would having this printed in their passports have prevented any of the terrorists/soldiers/guards/officials/agents from letting Guantanamo happen? Mumbai? Stonings in Iran? CIA kidnappings? Prison torture? Waterboarding? Terrorism? Abu Ghraib?

What's the point other than minimal lip service to the small handful of feel-good guys out to save the internet? "Yay! We've done something for the advancement of Human Rights!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules