Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Can I export email from Mail to iOS Mail (not on server)?

Can I export email from Mail to iOS Mail (not on server)?
drissa
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2013, 05:55 AM

Hope I've chosen the right sub-forum. I bought my Mum a Macbook years ago and chose not to store email on her ISP's server. Creating a mail account on her new iPad works for sending/receiving, but leaves all her old email on the Macbook.

Can I import this old mail somehow? Particularly as I'm planning to set her up a new email account, it would be good to bring these old emails in somehow. Not able to sync the iPad at the moment (Macbook needs an OS upgrade), but I wonder if this is the solution.

Many thanks

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2013, 06:58 AM

I wouldn't bother tinkering with importing mail, I would setup an IMAP account for her and drop the mail onto the server. Unless you really, really trust her backups IMAP is better for this and a number of other reasons anyway, particularly with managing multiple devices like you are trying to do.

drissa  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2013, 05:59 PM

Sorry to be thick... I'm familiar with IMAP, but I'm not following. If anyone has the patience to expand on this, I'd appreciate it!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 30, 2013, 06:03 PM

With the IMAP protocol the mail lives on the server rather than your local PC. Therefore, if you are using IMAP there is never a need to import anything when you switch email apps, devices, etc. - your mail lives "in the cloud".

What I'm suggesting is to setup an IMAP account, transfer this mail to the IMAP account within whatever app currently stores your mail. Once you have done this you can access your mail from any device/app just by configuring access to your account.

Make sense?

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 1, 2013, 09:23 AM

Well put, besson. Drissa, by leaving the mail on the remote server, ANY device you access that account with will have access to all of the mail in that account.

You can download a local copy of these emails in most mail apps, but it can get kind of confusing; It's easier to just leave it all on the server.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

drissa  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2013, 09:28 AM

Thanks for ideas and apologies for delayed response...

My plan is to set-up a Gmail account for my Mum, which supports IMAP. I can definately see the advantages of IMAP.

My only block is moving previous message from Mail. I assumed I could set-up a new account in Mail to reflect the Gmail account. Then move stuff into this mailbox, which would then show up on the iPad. This thread seems to suggest it might not be easy...

Help exporting from Mail to Gmail!? - MacRumors Forums

Perhaps I'll just have to give it a go and ask further if needs be.

Thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules