Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > App Store changes 'Free' button into 'Get'

App Store changes 'Free' button into 'Get'
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Nov 19, 2014, 04:41 PM

Apple has today made a small change at the App Store, renaming the "Free" button for zero-cost downloads, particularly those that feature in-app purchases to "Get." Paid apps continue to show the purchase price. It's not clear why Apple decided to make the change, but it may be a response to ongoing complaints about marketing of free-to-play/"freemium" apps.

In reality, most such apps are only free initially, and depend on in-app purchases to generate money for their developers. A number of parents have found themselves stuck with dozens, hundreds, or even thousands of dollars in iTunes charges after their children exploited a window between password requests for App Store purchases. In some cases, developers have been accused of trying to deceive children into thinking no real-world money is involved.

Earlier this year, Apple settled a lawsuit brought by the US Federal Trade Commission over the issue. At the time, CEO Tim Cook noted that Apple had received some 37,000 complaints about illegitimate purchases, and promised the company would refund cash.

( Last edited by NewsPoster; Nov 20, 2014 at 06:03 AM. )

bjojade
Nov 19, 2014, 05:36 PM

It's still confusing for new users. It's not naturally intuitive to just touch the price. Why don't they have a buy now button, or a get now button?

And GET looks totally lame on the pricing scheme for everything, especially when touching get doesn't immediately get the app.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2014, 07:07 PM

Unless you're using a different App Store than I am, "free" or "get" does, in fact, immediately get you the app (after a "are you sure" or a Touch ID verification screen). I wouldn't want to accidentally touch the button and *instantly* get the app, as I may have been trying to tap something nearby. I think buyers will easily come to understand that "get" means its free, but offers in-app purchases (which is actually spelled out just above the "get" button if the app does offer IAPs).
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Forum Links
Forum Rules