Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > MUCH trouble connecting to 128 WEP-protected network

MUCH trouble connecting to 128 WEP-protected network
QuatermassX
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2006, 03:32 AM

I have a WPA-key for my wireless network which my router createed automatically, but when I bring home my work PowerBook, AirPort can't seem log on. I try logging in the key (asks for password) under 40-hex, 40-ascii, 128-hex or 128-ascii, or LEAP, it didn't work and can't seem to log onto the network. Are Mac's just not compatible with WPA keys? (I have OSX Tiger loaded on my PB).

I've been typing that silly long string now a thousand different way and there is no additional security on the router that should prevent it from connecting ...

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 24, 2006, 08:26 AM

WPA keys come in two varieties-plain text and hex. A plain text key can be any text up to 63 characters, but a hex key is 64 hex digits. By default, a WPA device will see anything under 64 characters as ASCII and 64 characters as hex.

Now are your eally trying to use WPA, or are you trying to use WEP? Your title says "WEP," but your post says "WPA." There's a big difference.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

QuatermassX  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2006, 02:13 PM

Oh, sorry ... indeed, it is a WEP-128 key (key number 3) with 26 characters (the max allowed by this router).

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 25, 2006, 03:24 PM

For some reason, one thing Apple didn't implement well (or maybe didn't implement right) is the key number system in WEP. If you tell it to use key 3 it either won't be able to (you won't have anywhere to tell it) or it won't do it right-I forget which way it is.

Try giving your Mac key 1 and see if it can connect that way (assuming you can tell the router to use key 1, that is).

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2006, 06:50 PM

I don't know anything about Key numbers here, but try entering a $ before the password, that might work (that's what I have to do with the WEP 128 password from my router).
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 25, 2006, 08:01 PM

Apfhex is correct. Newer versions of AirPort software also provide a radio button so you can select "hex" as the input mode. ALL other manufacturers default to hex inputs, while Apple defaults to seeing inputs as plain text, so that key may work just fine if properly entered.

Forum Links
Forum Rules