Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 99)
cycl0pse
Senior User
Dec 30, 2017, 11:04 AM

I figured as much Blaze. Many thanks! And as for the withers.... shudder.

so I figured out the backup issue... it's a mod version bug. that's good. I'm no longer banging my head off the wall.

The bad news is they released an "all the mods 3 lite" pack and stopped updating "all the mods lite"

sigh

so we're stuck with unpleasant options. one, live with the server as-is forever. two, I manually update the server and everyone manually updates the clients. three, we move to a new modpack and archive this server. the one thing I don't want to go back to is building custom modpacks for download. that was a huge time suck for me.

soliciting opinions.

-cy

andi*pandi
Dec 30, 2017, 04:06 PM

I am so far behind you guys, starting over would be a bummer. But your time is valuable cyclopse, so whatever is easiest for you.

In other news, my greatest tech advancement is the animal backpack.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 30, 2017, 07:00 PM

If you'd like to see me have a meltdown, let's abandon the server I haven't finished the colosseum on

andi*pandi
Dec 30, 2017, 09:16 PM

motivation to work faster?

(I kid)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 30, 2017, 11:17 PM

The sad thing is I don't think I would have done the ore processing the center I just spent most of the week on if I had known this.

The only thing I can really say is you guys aren't stuck with the server like this on my account forever. I imagine my days are winding down with these last big projects.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Dec 31, 2017, 11:30 AM

See, here's the thing. I listed three options:

1- leave it alone
2- manual updates of mods
3- start a new modpack and archive this one

The hosting we use will let me have up to 4 servers saved and 2 running at once (but both have to share 4GB memory). I don't mind just leaving this one alone, as long as people understand that a) it has problems b) the problems won't be fixed anytime soon, and c) one of the problems is reliable backups. If none of that bothers people, I'm fine leaving well enough alone.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 31, 2017, 06:49 PM

1 is fine. Having a second server for those ready to migrate to a new adventure seems like the right compromise. You guys just have to promise to come back for a session or two when the colosseum is ready to host 'games'.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2018, 12:51 PM

Dakar, do you want some help getting the various mob spawners? Do you know what types you want?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 2, 2018, 02:40 PM

That's a good question because I haven't been able to pin down a coherent concept since the early stages.

The last concept I was trying to work on was a powered villager spawner. cyc tried to whitelist it for me but it hasn't worked (which may or may not be my fault). I'd like to rely on powered spawners in general so as to not over populate the area and also so the area is safe during non-game times.

It's unfortunate there are no mobs that fight each other really.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Jan 2, 2018, 02:48 PM

if whitelisting the powered spawner didn't work, I think I can 'godmode' them in instead. I'll test when on next.

andi*pandi
Jan 2, 2018, 03:23 PM

I've seen skeletons fight each other, but perhaps they are just fighting over who gets to kill me first.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 2, 2018, 04:51 PM

Everyone will fight a skeleton if an arrow hits them

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 2, 2018, 05:12 PM

Oh, I need 8 villager souls for attractor obelisks. I'd get them myself, but I don't want to farm them from cyc and blaze who rule over them.

andi*pandi
Jan 2, 2018, 05:16 PM

I have yet to discover a village near my lair.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 2, 2018, 05:35 PM

Iron Golems, duh.

Cyclopse, I know that powered spawner is black listed as well. So if you mind trying to pull one of those out of your hat while you're at it?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 2, 2018, 05:56 PM

Now taking sawdust donations

Edit: Nevermind, uneccessary
( Last edited by The Final Dakar; Jan 2, 2018 at 08:31 PM. )

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2018, 12:20 PM

My thoughts were wolfs (attack skeletons), zombies, iron golems, and skeletons

I have a villager spawner so imprison as many as you need.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2018, 07:17 PM

Couldn't we copy the coliseum over to the new server? Or should I just stay quiet because I'm never on...

Edit: close to rounding 100 pages here.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Jan 3, 2018, 07:51 PM

Dakar: I left a fashionable diamond chest at the arena. It has some ... presents... in it. (Disclaimer: the owner/operator of this server is not responsible for how you may or may not immolate yourself with the contents of said chest)

Everyone: I got the backup thing figured out (read-as: found a way to 'hack' it) so I'm willing to try and import our world into any of the modpacks found here:
https://www.akliz.net/modpacks#modpacks
This would be a non-destructive experiment. The question is, what modpack looks interesting?

-cy

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 9, 2018, 10:20 PM

I have a job suited for you cyc. Two IE mob crushers for the Colosseum.

andi*pandi
Jan 10, 2018, 03:49 AM

Does anyone have an automated empowering system already built? Either to a) see how it's done, or b) make 2-4 stacks of empowered blocks. One by one is taking forever. You will laugh at my primitive RF abilities.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 10, 2018, 10:39 AM

Yeah it's at fattys

andi*pandi
Jan 10, 2018, 11:15 AM

Great. Now all I have to do is massacre some squid.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 10, 2018, 11:22 AM

I have a bunch of ink DACA if you need them. In the lapis dye center off the kitchen.

Guardians also murder the shit out of squid outside my place

cycl0pse
Senior User
Jan 10, 2018, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I have a job suited for you cyc. Two IE mob crushers for the Colosseum.
Like what I use for my skeleton grinder? Sure thing. You know where you want them in said Colosseum?

(and did the chest contents help any?)

-cy

andi*pandi
Jan 10, 2018, 12:03 PM

Anyone know of a guardian temple that is ripe for looting?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 10, 2018, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Anyone know of a guardian temple that is ripe for looting?
Never seen one. Also curious if there's a woodland mansion around.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 10, 2018, 12:12 PM

If you need prismarine, I can hook you up with that too

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 10, 2018, 02:29 PM

Or kill guardians

andi*pandi
Jan 10, 2018, 02:48 PM

I am using them for target practice, yes.

I have not seen a woodland mansion, or many other dungeons. Just the tower/mazes.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2018, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Great. Now all I have to do is massacre some squid.
You can go to my rs system and autocraft most of them.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 12, 2018, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by cycl0pse View Post
Like what I use for my skeleton grinder? Sure thing. You know where you want them in said Colosseum?
I have an idea but I need to gauge their size before installing them properly.

(and did the chest contents help any?)
Yes, thanks, though I'm not sure I have a use for many of them.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 16, 2018, 02:31 AM

Made some big progress on the Colosseum this weekend. Completion for both the aesthetic and mechanical aspects is actually within sight.

Something I learned: Iron Golems hate zombie pigmen.

andi*pandi
Jan 19, 2018, 03:47 PM

Maybe I'll finish my project this weekend. The top went really well but the bottom did not fit how I expected. What I get for winging it I suppose.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 29, 2018, 10:51 PM

Trying to polish off the colosseum and now soul binders have randomly stopped working, stopping my ability to create spawners.

KrusaPisk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2018, 10:44 AM

I wonder if anybody here plays GT New Horizons modpack?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2018, 01:23 PM

Personally I can't stand GT as a mod philosophy. I'm sad of the changes that were made to IC2 to add plates to everything. Added crafting steps just to add steps isn't adding entertainment or actual difficulty so it's pointless grind. I did just finish a run through of Age Of Engineering which, though not having any magic, was a nicely tiered progression. Well except for Deep Resonance.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 4, 2018, 11:54 PM

Well, I'm about ready to throw in the towel. Soul Binders are busted for some unknown reason, so I can't finish having some monster spawners, but its not a big deal.

The Colosseum as an idea is pretty much as I wanted, so if we want to have a small gathering to demonstrate its capabilities some time, let me know.

I think after this I'm ready to move on to something else.

KrusaPisk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2018, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
Personally I can't stand GT as a mod philosophy. I'm sad of the changes that were made to IC2 to add plates to everything. Added crafting steps just to add steps isn't adding entertainment or actual difficulty so it's pointless grind. I did just finish a run through of Age Of Engineering which, though not having any magic, was a nicely tiered progression. Well except for Deep Resonance.
For me GT is like a real challenge. And it's somehow more approached to the reality.
I'm not sure i will finish the modpack, as I didn't finish both Project Ozone and Project Ozone 2, even though they are my favorite modpacks.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 9, 2018, 05:37 PM

Anybody got the itch to start from scratch with ATM3 Lite? Fatty?

andi*pandi
Feb 9, 2018, 06:22 PM

Hopefully I will log in this weekend to see the colosseum... unless we want to plan a big send off next weekend? My creation is almost done, I've just been fiddling with it and being a perfectionist.

After that I'm fine with a new world.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 9, 2018, 06:24 PM

I'd certainly like to use the colosseum properly once.

I did drop by your place to see the project since you and I are partners in late lonely projects.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 10, 2018, 08:41 PM

Man, trying to sort through mods sucks. Like, if you want to find a pack with x, y, and z, I don't think there's a way to do that other than clicking on contents and scrolling through.

I was looking at ATM3: Lite and it happens to lack on of my favorite mods, rftools, so I'm trying to search for another pack that has that, thermal expansion and its brothers, preferably tinkers, and some other minor stuff. A painful task.

On top of that, the twitch app's searching is broken for me. I can't search through mods as everything comes up 'no results found'

blarg

cycl0pse
Senior User
Feb 14, 2018, 10:30 AM

Sorry I've been incommunicado for a bit. Been dealing with some house issues that's taking quite a bit of my time. (Did you know raising a house support beam with a 20 ton jack makes all kinds of interesting creaks and popping sounds?) Still not finished, but I can see the light at the end (finally).

I'm all for a big "show off what we did" weekend followed by looking into a new modpack. Twitch isn't the only way to do it, so you know. The server we're using is https://www.akliz.net/ and they have a decent list of ready-to-go mods here: https://www.akliz.net/modpacks

Things to keep in mind when looking at modpacks:
  1. Our server has up to 4GB available for one or 2 servers. Putting it all to one server means we can run just about any mod pack (see note 2)
  2. We, as a user base, are HARD on server memory. We like our toys! So the more loaded up the mod pack, the more we run into server issues.
  3. Just because the server can run it doesn't mean the cleints can. I have a decent machine ( six core AMD with 16GB RAM and SSD) and some packs STILL don't run well.

Here's something else to ponder when we start a new server. Because we all love big complexes we like to spread out That habit, sadly, just EATS memory. If we can do some planning this time around I'd love to keep our respective bases and homes a bit closer together. Not right up on each other, but reasonably. That we we all can share more and be a tad more 'community'. One item I'd love to share moving forward is a power plant complex. That way we can build up an actual power grid and chunk load a small area to keep it going.

Anyone else have thoughts on the matter?

-cy

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2018, 12:15 PM

I am down for whatever the group decides, obviously my current base stalled out once I had to rip apart most of it and I never got the urge to start again. If it can help with server load I think a common starting point is a great idea. What would we realistically need for space to make all of us close but not bumping into each-other while still lowering server load?

I'd be more than happy to help with various projects via grindy stuff while tinkering away at my own little base. Now that I have a better idea of current mods I won't end up using all of them this time.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 14, 2018, 11:39 PM

Twitch isn't the only way to do it, so you know. The server we're using is https://www.akliz.net/ and they have a decent list of ready-to-go mods here: https://www.akliz.net/modpacks
No, quite obviously I don't. Trying to figure out where to get one-click packs almost drove me to quit. I then found a method to cobble together packs and the effort almost made me quit once I was done.

Because we all love big complexes we like to spread out That habit, sadly, just EATS memory. If we can do some planning this time around I'd love to keep our respective bases and homes a bit closer together. Not right up on each other, but reasonably. That we we all can share more and be a tad more 'community'. One item I'd love to share moving forward is a power plant complex. That way we can build up an actual power grid and chunk load a small area to keep it going.
Fatty and I will be roommates again.

As far as mods, I suspect I'll be near the only one, but there are a few I'm unwilling to go without. ATM3 lite was a great idea, until I noticed rftools was missing. rftools was one of the mods I got into late on our server and I feel like there's a lot potential I never got to on it, particularly early game.

I'm also big on the thermal dynamics mods and tinker's. After that I'm more flexible.

I'll come back and make a note of mods in my new game that I think are pretty great some other time.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Feb 15, 2018, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
What would we realistically need for space to make all of us close but not bumping into each-other while still lowering server load?
I've been pondering this as I nail 2x10's to my home's support beam. I think a hub and spoke concept would work. Basically, make the main group area in the center then give everyone a point on the compass that starts a few chunks away from the reserved center base area. Then let everyone start close and expand outward as the bases grow. So if Andi was the north spoke she could start a base close to the center hub and grow her base to the north. That also gives everyone a direction to resource mine that won't step on anyone else's toes. It would also make a transportation network easy as we can put in a single station. I always like having rail lines as a backup to more advanced transportation but we could put both/all of them in a central station.

My problem is I never think 'big' enough when planning bases. If I lay down the groundwork for the main base it will not be big enough. Sek/Dakar, both of you are good at big base planning so I'm hoping one or both of you can assist with that. It think the main base needs to have central power generation, a transportation center, and some kind of a showcase structure (Skyscraper, big castle, crashed Star Destroyer, something). I think something to discuss is also a group resource storage. While I think we all get along fine and no one would abuse group storage it's possible i'm being optimistic.

But all this is 'cart before the horse' ... we need a modpack to go with. I'll start looking in the next few days but if someone has a good suggestion I'm all for it.

-cy

andi*pandi
Feb 15, 2018, 12:34 PM

I am not likely to experiment with nuclear power etc, am happy to mooch off the grid.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 15, 2018, 10:00 PM

I'm not good at central planning, I'm just good at working creatively within the confines of a location. But I decided I like mountainside bases because you work yourself inward. It does, however, lack any external aesthetics.

Not sure how wise centralized power would be, unless we're talking some kind of minimal power gen to kick start us from the get go. You'd have to have separate 'pools' to pull from, so no one could just clean out energy reserve on their own. I also wonder how we're transporting said energy around.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Feb 16, 2018, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Not sure how wise centralized power would be, unless we're talking some kind of minimal power gen to kick start us from the get go. You'd have to have separate 'pools' to pull from, so no one could just clean out energy reserve on their own. I also wonder how we're transporting said energy around.
Good questions. First, I think some of this will depend on the modpack we choose. No sense having a massive power plant storing energy the pack really doesn't use. As for sharing the juice, I was envisioning a big power plant complex with various banks of power storage. So one or multiple generation systems running with multiple banks of power. We could easily make the banks specific to each person, so I would have my storage cells while Andi would have hers. That way when you login everyone would have power no matter what the others have been doing.

I just would prefer to have a small group of chunks loaded and generating power for everyone to use than have each of us building and maintaining our own systems. (Part of this is because a lot of mods are now including chunk loading in their generators... as a server admin I don't like that but as a player I see the logic).

in the early game I could see us having a few smaller setups until we get the resources to design and build the big plant, but my hope is to get a big enough 'renewable energy' farm going that it will trickle charge a large number of power banks combined with a BIG generator for on-off load use. But that's just my idea... open to other thoughts.

Question: would any of the DireWolf modpacks be do-able?

-cy

Forum Links
Forum Rules