Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Upgrading hard drive with Bootcamp Partition?

Upgrading hard drive with Bootcamp Partition?
JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2010, 01:44 AM

I am about to upgrade my MacBook hard drive to a 500GB hard drive. I currently have a 20GB partition for Windows XP with SP2. All I have on there is Microsoft Office 2007 and maybe a few small programs. The documents and powerpoints I have I could easily put on a flash drive and transfer to the new hard drive.

I definitely plan to make the partition bigger this go around, probably 60GB. Just to make sure I have space for future programs I may need.

I have Time Machine to transfer my Mac stuff, but with Windows XP do I just need to make a new Bootcamp partition and re-install all my programs?
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

ghporter
Administrator
May 22, 2010, 10:28 AM

If all you have is a few programs, even counting Office, my advice would be to just back up your data and then ignore the old Windows partition. XP installs rather quickly on an Intel Mac, and starting fresh isn't a bad idea.

So yes, all you need to do is, after restoring your OS X stuff, use Boot Camp to make a new Windows partition and reinstall.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Cold Warrior
May 22, 2010, 11:52 AM

Winclone will work perfectly if you prefer to keep everything as is.

Winclone

JMan09  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2010, 03:10 PM

Thanks both of you. I think I am going to go with the fresh install of Windows.
Hopefully I'll get the hard drive next week and I'll update this thread and let you know how it went.

JMan09  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2010, 10:04 PM

I don't know what happened back in May but I didn't upgrade then. So instead of making a new thread I would ask my new question in here.

I am upgrading my internal hard drive, and a memory card. And also got a bigger external hard drive to be used as my new Time Capsule.

Should I do a fresh Time Machine backup to the new external 1TB drive? and then change the internal drive and restore from Time Machine? This sounds the easiest.

My other option was to restore from my current Time Capsule after I install the new hard drive, then do a fresh Time Machine backup on the new 1TB drive?

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 27, 2010, 06:27 AM

The "fresh backup/swap drive/restore" process should work very well, and as you state, it's going to be about the easiest option.

Still planning on a fresh Windows install? I think that's the easiest option as well.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

JMan09  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2010, 11:35 AM

Yeah, I'm going to do the fresh Windows XP install. I'm going to do try to do this later today, and will let you know how everything turns out.

JMan09  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2010, 12:10 AM

The upgrades went smooth, took a while but there weren't any problems. I upgraded the RAM first, by replacing 1 1GB stick with a 2GB stick and it recognized the card. Then I did a fresh backup on the 1TB External drive, and this took the longest(about 3.5 hours). Then waited until today to swap in the new Internal drive. I got the drive put in and restored from my Time Machine backup which took about 2.5 hours. Everything seems to be working fine now. I can definitely see the speed difference with apps loading now, since the drive isn't 80% full.

I didn't re-install the Windows XP Bootcamp partition yet, because I don't need to use it right now. So I might do it over the weekend.

Forum Links
Forum Rules