Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Humble THQ Bundle

Humble THQ Bundle
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 29, 2012, 01:39 PM

Just claimed mine.

HumbleBundle.com

Everyone can dual boot, right?

reader50
Administrator
Nov 29, 2012, 05:15 PM

Unlike previous bundles, this one is Windows-only. With DRM. Not so humble in my opinion.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2012, 05:36 PM

The previous one-company bundle was the Humble Frozenbyte Bundle, which also included some Windows-only games.

And Humble Bundle's attempts at all Window/Mac/Linux lineups have resulted in some extremely crappy Wine ports included in the bundle, some of which still don't work today.

Ars Technica went off on a silly rant today, saying this bundle hurts the Humble Bundle brand. Frankly, I think it would be awesome if more AAA companies did cheap, charity-supporting bundles like this. There's no downside unless you imagined that Humble Bundle was supposed to be some kind of ideology-obsessed movement.

And let's keep in mind: THQ is doing this because they're on the brink of bankruptcy. This should help their image and their bottom line, at least a little.

Regardless, I only buy Mac games, so no buy from me. And Metro 2033 is the only game here that interests me anyways.

EDIT: Incidentally, the bundle promotional video says there is an indie bundle due in a few weeks, which is nice.

P
Nov 30, 2012, 06:18 AM

I think it does dilute the Humble Bundle brand. That it now requires Steam is mostly a moot point to me now that Steam has both Mac and Linux versions, but I can understand that it's a problem for the purists. Part of the good of Humble Bundles was that they drove games to be ported to Mac and Linux, and if a developer didn't like that, they could put out their own bundle. Here we have Humble folding completely to a publisher. What happens with the next bundle when the developers don't want to make Mac versions? Do they just fold again?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

P
Dec 5, 2012, 02:56 AM

As all Humble Bundles: Whatever you want it to be. They do have a minimum price of $1, however, to avoid people using it in a scam on Steam.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules