Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Since you guys keep asking about iPod shuffle's cap, here's some *PICS* (Jpg ORGY)

Since you guys keep asking about iPod shuffle's cap, here's some *PICS* (Jpg ORGY)
Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2005, 02:29 AM

seems to be captured spring loaded ball bearings that click into the holes in drilled into the usb. it is secure (as in - it wont fall off or slide off accidentally) BUT i would not trust the lanyard. sure it wont fall off in normal usage, but if it swings and gets caught on something, or you accidentally hit it at the right angle, with the right ammount of force, it might dislodge. that being said, it's not very heavy so it wont fall off the lanyard by gravity alone. still .. if you are going to jog, get the armband, or make your own out of gauze, bandage, cloth .. etc.

i'm still curious how the ipod shuffle attaches to the armband itself. i hope it isnt another "cap" that attaches it to the fabric. cant tell in the pictures

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2005, 02:39 AM

it's nice to see pictures that are actually focused on the proper area for once, instead of on the background leaving the subject way out of the region of acceptable sharpness...

Lancer409  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2005, 03:41 AM

Originally posted by spiky_dog:
it's nice to see pictures that are actually focused on the proper area for once, instead of on the background leaving the subject way out of the region of acceptable sharpness...

where have you seen pics posted? i hear people asking for 'em but i havent seen it.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2005, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
where have you seen pics posted? i hear people asking for 'em but i havent seen it.
I think spiky_dog is refering to the general quality of 'informative' photos that people take. Either too small, out of focus, no reference points, no freaking rhyme or reason.

Nice job on the pics. Much appreciated!
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Lancer409  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2005, 10:17 AM

Originally posted by Rev-O:
I think spiky_dog is refering to the general quality of 'informative' photos that people take. Either too small, out of focus, no reference points, no freaking rhyme or reason.

Nice job on the pics. Much appreciated!
thanks

zakmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2005, 11:11 AM

Where did you get a 1GB Shuffle? I thought only 512s were in some random stores.I an in NYC, waiting to buy in Soho Apple store. I would order online, but the store told me they would have them in a week, while the online store now has a 3-4 week wait. I don't wanna wait no mo' ;-)

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2005, 07:00 PM

they look like 'detent' balls similar to those on socket wrench drives. Good idea actually and very strong.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

brapper
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2005, 08:10 PM

Thanks.
I'm still on the fence about buying one, but this helps.

brapper
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2005, 08:34 PM

Thanks.
I'm still on the fence about buying one, but this helps.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2005, 09:57 PM

Great pics. But yout finger prints are all over it

-t

Psychonaut
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 15, 2005, 11:49 PM

Look at the second picture from the top - there seems to be text on the inside. Does that say Singapore?
DBGFHRGL!

Lancer409  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2005, 06:18 AM

Originally posted by Psychonaut:
Look at the second picture from the top - there seems to be text on the inside. Does that say Singapore?

Yes it does. It's not written, it's molded. Part of the plastic. It's not dented in, it's sticking up and out (forgot the term, used to describe it.) I assume Singapore makes the caps (or supplies the top piece) while the player is built in taiwan?

wierd how they say taiwan, but the shuffle says china. not Republic Of China (taiwan) or anything, just ... China.

oh well.

Lancer409  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2005, 08:28 PM

damn, looks like the shuffle cap and mac mini pics i posted killed my alloted photobucket bandwith. will try to get these back up on another thing when i have time. or .. does anyone wanna host 'em?

ender2002
Senior User
Jan 17, 2005, 09:39 PM

put em up on imageshack.us

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2005, 05:09 AM

6 days and they haven't given you anymore bandwidth?
Put it on a better server

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Lancer409  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2005, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:
6 days and they haven't given you anymore bandwidth?
Put it on a better server

it's going to be down until next month (on photobucket atleast) apparently it used up 1.5gig? of bandwith ... forgot .. it was in an email they sent me. i'm not too sure what that means (does it count everytime it's loaded or everytime someone saves the photo or what?

will try to put 'em on a nother server over the weekend .. school is draining me right now. (it just started a few days ago - notice how quiet i've been the past few days?

mskblackbelt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2005, 02:11 PM

A side note on the cap connection. The lanyard cap appears to connect a little more solidly than the regular one; however, if you are doing anything where the shuffle is going to bounce around a lot, you may want to use a pocket or more secure method of attaching it. Some friends and I went to get one yesterday, and were forced to run to CompUSA because both of our local Denver area Apple stores were out of Shuffles on the morning of the release at opening time. So we ran to CompUSA, where they had $10 off the 512 MB shuffles and bought three of them. Anyway, we went back to my friends apartment, and he decided to see how strong the link was with the lanyard cap. Needless to say, once he started to swing it around at a decent speed, the shuffle flew off and slammed into a wall and ricocheted into the ceiling. Our first response was, "Holy S***!!!", and then we all started to laugh hysterically. On further examination, the only thing that had happened to the shuffle was a minor ding in one of the edges, and one or two nearly invisible scratches. So the shuffle is more durable than previous iPods, but the caps don't hold it in quite as well as they perhaps should.

Will anyone introduce a locking cap, or something with a release button? I'm sure it will come soon.

Sorry for the long post, but it was really funny to see.
I can picture a world without war, a world
without hate. And I can picture us attacking
it because they'd never expect it.
- Jack Handy

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2005, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
i'm not too sure what that means (does it count everytime it's loaded or everytime someone saves the photo or what?
Bandwidth use is just how much data is transferred through the server. So yes, every time it is loaded (the computer has to download it to display it in the web page.) In fact, when you save an image from a web page, browsers don't re-download it. They just copy it from the cache if it's there.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2005, 03:59 PM

I can't see $hit!

pyn
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2005, 09:53 PM

Well, read the image. "PHOTOBUCKET BANDWIDTH LIMIT EXCEEDED". that is why you cannot see your feces.

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 24, 2005, 11:07 PM

How about hosting the pix on Flickr?
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

Lancer409  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2005, 07:14 PM

THEY are back up! (Start of the new month ahahha ... let's see how long the bandwith survives this time!)

Forum Links
Forum Rules