Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Dual 1.8 problem

Dual 1.8 problem
rtk9r3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2005, 07:13 PM

Hey guys I just recieved my Powermac G5 the other day and I am soooo worried I still havent gotten it to start up heres what happened

First when I got it I set it all up and plugged my monitor in. When I turned it on nothing showed up on the monitor the computer sure was working but there was nothing showing up on the monitor. I looked around and went to apples trouble shooting I also called apple support(they wouldnt even talk to me though because I bought it off ebay and it had been more than a year grrr) One of the things at the apple website said to see if the video card was securely in the slot and the case was already off since I had to find the serial number for apple support so i just wiggled it a little bit and put the case back on. None of this worked. I figured this monitors so frickin old anyways I need a new one. So I went out and got myself a new monitor and brought it back home. This is where the real problem begins.

I start up the computer and well it doesnt start up! What happens is the front light flashes once every like 8-10 seconds and goes on and on for a while. I looked in the users manual and it said that if it doesnt start up like the number of flashes means either like bad ram no ram of to contact an apple service person. Now I dont know how fast these flashes are supposed to be if they're in rapid succession or if they're like mine? Can someone please give me any tips as to how to get it started up? They would be my hero FOREVER. Thank you.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2005, 03:15 AM

I'm sorry to say it, rtk, but sounds like you got scammed. . .

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2005, 07:57 AM

I would hope you've got some sort of DOA guarantee from the seller. If it's more than a year old, and the original owner didn't spring for the extended warranty, you're definitely SOL as far as Apple is concerned. If the seller is unresponsive, try eBay's fraud division.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

rtk9r3  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2005, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by chris v
I would hope you've got some sort of DOA guarantee from the seller. If it's more than a year old, and the original owner didn't spring for the extended warranty, you're definitely SOL as far as Apple is concerned. If the seller is unresponsive, try eBay's fraud division.

some people on apple.com figured it out thanks guys

the only problem was that the ram was not installed in pairs i only found one 256mb stick in it thanks though

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2005, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by rtk9r3
some people on apple.com figured it out thanks guys

the only problem was that the ram was not installed in pairs i only found one 256mb stick in it thanks though
What kind of jerk does that? I guess they didn't even know their own machine... still... that's just rude...

Forum Links
Forum Rules