Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > first generation ipod battery life

first generation ipod battery life
hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2002, 08:57 AM

I don't know if i have the same problem that everybody else having after updating to ipod software 1.2.

I did a test on my ipod yesterday by plugging it to a wall outlet and let it charge til the "charged" icon appear. I then ran a playlist and let it repeat til the battery ran out. I only got about 4 and half hours off that battery. (i had alarm setting off and i did not reset the clock). I heard that you can recharge your battery for about 500 cycles in its life, but mine has yet to reach 100.

I hope some first generation ipod's owner can post their current battery status and usuage, so i can compare them to mine should i decide to send it back to apple, since they upgrade all first generation ipod's warranty to one year, right?

motti
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 3, 2002, 09:56 AM

Originally posted by hardcat1970:
I don't know if i have the same problem that everybody else having after updating to ipod software 1.2.

I did a test on my ipod yesterday by plugging it to a wall outlet and let it charge til the "charged" icon appear. I then ran a playlist and let it repeat til the battery ran out. I only got about 4 and half hours off that battery. (i had alarm setting off and i did not reset the clock). I heard that you can recharge your battery for about 500 cycles in its life, but mine has yet to reach 100.

I hope some first generation ipod's owner can post their current battery status and usuage, so i can compare them to mine should i decide to send it back to apple, since they upgrade all first generation ipod's warranty to one year, right?
how about soundcheck on/off? display on/off? volume setting? i had the same problem, listening continously in the car gave me 3 hours..but now its back to 10 and even more hours!

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2002, 11:01 AM

mine is doing fine but doesn't really hold a charge, I will try and shut those off.

BTW they did extend the warranty on the orriginal, I relaced mine two weeks ago, because its ring around the phone jack had broken off, and when i inserted a a phone jack it would force a resart, they gave me a new iPod, first gen, but new, with 1.2 on it

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

hardcat1970  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2002, 11:12 AM

Well i have my backlight turn off and the EQ on, but that should not be the problem, because it was working perfectly ever since this function was added. And yes, i have sound check enabled, is it really the one causing the battery to drain?

The only reason i started this topic because i suspect my ipod has the same problem like most people having after upgrading software 1.2.

I have never had my ipod runs 10 hours continuously before. I remember when i first got my ipod, i just played it while i was taking subway to work and back home, it was like 3 hours a day. I remember i listened to it for 4 days without recharging it. After upgrading to 1.2 software, however, my ipod can't hardly last a day. I charge my ipod's battery in the morning, then i let it sit through the night and it would down to 3 meters in the next morning or unless the battery indicator simply isn't accurate at all.

I'm not sure if this is the software problem because i know some people don't have this problem, i just wonder if my ipod start showing its age after just 10 months.

leongwt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2002, 12:04 PM

my first gen iPod is also about 10 months old and i had upgraded to 1.2. i seldom use my iPod and recently i found out that the battery can only last 3hrs max when i was travelling. not sure how long it could last before upgrading as it has never crossed my mind to check.

hardcat1970  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2002, 10:29 PM

Here's my situation: After fully testing my ipod with everything turn off, it would only last 4.5 hours on a repeated 160kbs encoded playlist. I sent it back to apple, they give me a replacement unit within two days, what a great service by the way. Recharge the unit overnight, it would only show up three meters, then resetting my unit with menu/play, it goes back to normal 4 meters. I cannot reset the date back to 12:00:00 Jan 1 2002, and the clock keeps ticking. However, this time it does play 10 hours plus continuously. Today i set the clock to correct time, and see what will happen!

It seems that not everyone has the same battery drain problem afterall, however, i have couple of my friends that own the last and latest generation of ipods, and they all having the same battery problem after upgrading 1.2 software.

For the first generation ipod owners, if you don't get the 10 hour playback time, you should let apple to take a look at yours.

Forum Links
Forum Rules